food for thought on firearms...

Pellet guns and such do not need to be registered provided that their muzzle velocity is under 500ft/second. So, what you buy at Canadian Tire is fine. I'm not sure that they need to be locked though. I would esp. if there are kids around. Out at the farm I used to leave the 12guage stashed in one spot and the ammunition fairly close to the bed hidden away, thieves got to be pretty rampant out there.

Pellet guns under 500 fps are not classified as firearms, unless the are used in a crime.

Q4. What is considered to be a firearm for purposes of the Firearms Act and for offences related to the Firearms Act in the Criminal Code?

A4. As set out in the Firearms Act, "firearm" means:

a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes

any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon, as well as

anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm.

Following are some weapons and devices that meet the definition of a firearm but that are deemed not to be firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act and related offences in the Criminal Code. Some of these items are exempted from the definition only if they were designed exclusively for a specific purpose and are intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person who possesses it. However, all of the items listed below are considered to be firearms if used in a criminal or negligent manner.

Antique firearms;

Devices designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress, for firing blank cartridges or for firing stud cartridges, explosive-driven rivets or other industrial projectiles;

Shooting devices designed exclusively forslaughtering domestic animals, tranquilizing animals, or discharging projectiles with lines attached to them;

Air guns and other barreled weapons designed to have:

A muzzle velocity of 152.4 meters per second or less and/or

A muzzle energy of 5.7 joules or less.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

2. Air guns that meet the Criminal Code definition of a firearm, but that are deemed not to be firearms for certain purposes of the Firearms Act and Criminal Code.

These are air guns with a maximum muzzle velocity of 152.4 meters or 500 feet per second and/or a maximum muzzle energy of 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot pounds.

Such air guns are exempt from licensing, registration, and other requirements under the Firearms Act, and from penalties set out in the Criminal Code for possessing a firearm without a valid licence or registration certificate. However, they are considered to be firearms under the Criminal Code if they are used to commit a crime. Anyone who uses such an air gun to commit a crime faces the same penalties as someone who uses a regular firearm.

The simple possession, acquisition and use of these air guns for lawful purposes is regulated more by provincial and municipal laws and by-laws than by federal law. For example, some provinces may have set a minimum age for acquiring such an air gun. For more information, please contact your local or provincial authorities.

These air guns are exempt from the specific safe storage, transportation and handling requirements set out in the regulations supporting the Firearms Act. However, the Criminal Code requires that reasonable precautions be taken to use, carry, handle, store, transport, and shipped them in a safe and secure manner.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/air_gun-arme_air-eng.htm

This is the problem.....

The law has recently changed and the info out there isn't getting out there properly. Your info from the rcmp is from 2008... I asked the trainer this and he said it was changed recently

Okay, step away from the donuts, get out the good book and give us the quote, page, chapter, section and subsection, properly quoted or you loose points.

I have looked for any recent Federal legislation changes but have come up empty.

I haven't heard of any gun law changes. And with recent federal governments being minority's not much has changed as far as I know in recent years.

I'm a little confused by this post.

I'd like to see what this is all about. Is there anything in print?

If you can't find any new laws they don't exist. Maybe proposals.. but they aren't law. They are only law if they've made it thru the Gazette twice and if you can't find anything doing an internet search they haven't made it thru it once...

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.

Contravention of storage regulations, etc.

(2) Every person commits an offence who contravenes a regulation made under paragraph 117(h) of the Firearms Act respecting the storage, handling, transportation, shipping, display, advertising and mail-order sales of firearms and restricted weapons.

Punishment

(3) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (2)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment

(i) in the case of a first offence, for a term not exceeding two years, and

(ii) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, for a term not exceeding five years; or

(B) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.