Going Fishing / Real Fishing

LeXXington

Advertisements???

Ok all I know it’s the slow time of the year waiting for open water so I thought I would ask this questions

I watch Going Fishing and Real Fishing show Saturday Morning over coffee while dreaming of open water. So this weeks one's made me wonder.

On Going Fishing * Darrel Chronzy went out of his way mentioning how he can't say the products name, etc and how he was saying it was the crtc pushing that.

Then on the Real Fishing show with Bob, he mentions all the products by name..

So what gives? I figured there might be one or two Pro's out there that could have the response..

a few years back the CRT or whatever they are went after Darrel Chronzy for being an infomercial and not a tv show because every second word was a product name

and I believe they fined him and regularly monitor him, a the while leave Bob and others like fishful thinking to say anything they want about their sponsors products..so he rubs it in every chance he gets

I'm not sure about Mr. Chronzy, but my guess is that the product was not a sponsor of his show, while Bob Izumi would love it if we all used those YUM products

Looks like Bob Izumi traded in those Yum Dingers for some of those Berkley Gulp minnows.

I really didn't understand why Chronzy was going off about the Big-brothers watching - I thought I was the only one who saw the difference between Going Fishing and Real Fishing.

On that note, I watched Italo talk about his mini lucky strike cradle for trout and char for a good ten minutes...RELEASE THE FISH ALREADY AND GET BACK TO FISHING!!!

The reason is because the CRT is now classing all of the outdoor shows as infomercials if products are named. The difference to the guys is if its classed as an infomercisl they have to buy the time slot, Real Fishing has sponsers to buy the slots others like Chronzy dont so he must be careful

I watched Chronzy show yesterday and every other word was Berkley these guys are all walking talking billboards and infomercials and that is fine that`s what the sponsor pays for if there is no sponsor then there is no show. Most fishing shows are infomercials with a little fishing thrown in to keep you watching. I noticed the other day on a American show the 2 fisherman talking to each other in their own boats and one of the motors was covered with some kind of sleeve to hide the brand of the motor.

A little off topic but I can not see myself coughing up the extra cash to subscribe to WFN to many lousy shows eg. full contact fishing,fishing with Shelley and what`s her name,Austrialian fishing championship, the last cull etc. any to many infomercials.

I agree lookinforwalleye, WFN isn't that great.

25% is Australian

25% is flyfishing (no offense to the flyfishermen)

25% is bad ie. Shelley and Courtney, Hotlines & Totally Hooked(Sorry guys, if I want to see women in bikinis, there are much better channels for that :)

25% is pretty good ie, Izumi, Roland Martin, Extreme Angler TV, Going Fishing (Gotta love the shore lunch)

I only paid for the channel because it came packaged with Raptors TV.

Edited by bassman

I've seen the names on outboards (and boats too) covered up so that the camera doesn't pick the name up. Usually seen this on a show where it is a fly in, portage or when it wasn't feasible to use the boat or motor that is being pushed on that particular show. For eg. a charter boat with a Merc. on the back and the shows sponsor was Yamaha.

As stated before.

Anytime I see "Real Fishing" there has been a warning before that the following program has been paid for by the particpants or sponsors.....

I haven't seen Cronzy enough to know if that same warning is given before his show. Meaning he probably passes it off as a show not an infomercial? Then again from what I have seen about Cronz he doesn't "play well with others" which I actually like because while I might not agree with everything he says I enjoy the fact that he doesn't mind spoutting off on some pretty touchy subjects.

Theres a bunch of factors when it comes to sponsers names for products and brodcast TV. First off, every year you need to applyfor a CRTC license which in cludes sending in a copy of the show for review "IF" it meets there criteria you are granted you license for the year and you can not change your format to far from the copy you sent in. Under the current regs you can get away with saying "X rap" but you cannot say "Rapala" :wallbash: .

Second depending what year the show was produced they would have been granted a C license for that year which met the criteria at that time, thats how you still see some shows that mention full product names and get away with it. They were going by what they were allowed for that year "it changes all the time".

Also even if your approved by the CRTC the channel your show brodcasts on also has there own set of "RULES & REGULATIONS" ontop of the CRTC.

While we attract a few sponsors, and are not on TV, most of my full length videos feature the camp that was good enough to put us up. Generally these clips rely on other sponsors that aren't even mentioned in the clip.

One of the hardest things to do is attract sponsors... makes ya feel like you are begging for their money.. which I just can't get myself to do. We've been lucky enough that the clips are not our main stream of income, so if I don't get a sponsor for an episode.. I don't care.

Everyone says ... "I can do that, why don't I have a fishing show??" lol... well the fishing is the smallest and I easiest part of the whole operation.. its getting paid to do it thats the hardest part.

A great example... I was at a camp one time and was told a fishing show was coming in to do some filming that day. I thought it would be cool to see how these guys operated...

The plane comes in and they get setup, the plane leaves, and shortly they figure out that they left the outboard in the float of the plane.

I've got two boats so I say, "here take the good one" Dude says... can't do it.. unless they can see the motor on the back of the boat, theres no use filming.

So I tell them Ill call the base on MY satellite phone, get them to turn around and bring your motor in... which i do... and 45 min later they are on the water...

They sat on the end of the dock and wouldn't even have a coffee with me... I'm pretty sure thats the day I promised myself that whatever fishing promotions I did I would never be or act like that..

My motto is video first... sponsors second. I think the only time I ever over promoted a lure was with Northhamfishing's video, but the fishing was so awesome and I was out fishing everyone and all I could figure was it was the lure...

I will admit it, the crtc ruling makes it very difficult to attract sponsors on TV... god bless the internet!

I'm not sure about Mr. Chronzy, but my guess is that the product was not a sponsor of his show, while Bob Izumi would love it if we all used those YUM products

Bob got me to buy some of the YUM Samuri Shads that he used for walleye on the Detroit River. I used them for the first time this pass weekend & caught a 21 inch sucker on it but no walleye. I caught my walleyes on a jig & minnow.

Charlie Wray was the worst of the worst ....every piece of equipment lure everything was pushed on the viewers

every year he got a new boat sponsor and every year it was the best boat he had ever seen and he could not catch fish without that make of boat

and Honda motors were the only way to go and if anyone told you different they didn't know what they were talking about, because they were the best of the best..well until he got a new motor sponsor and now it's the best of the best....yeah right

sorry Charlie...we see right through you

I've got one that beats even Charlie Wray who I agree was by far the worst for Canadian hosts.

On a recent Roland Martin show, he was fishing for goliath grouper using live 5 lb amber jacks for bait.

He made it a point to smear Megabass fish attractant on the LIVE FISH. bwahahahahaha

Now come on. That has GOT to be the worst and most blatant false promotion of a product ever.

I remember back when TNN (before it was Spike) showed a bunch of fishing shows, there was one hosted by Orlando Wilson. Every third word was Spiderwire/Mitchell Spidercast, but he would often be filmed fishing with a Curado. He was also hawking the spinning reel once, and it kept having bail closure issues. I can't believe he kept it on the show, talk about hurting for material.

I don't think it's easy to do what those guys do, but I think they should give the viewer a little more credit than they do.

Charles

Edited by charlesn

Well as bad as it is its the sponsors that pay for it all. :clapping: ..look at nascar. :dunno: ...thats insane.....but yes its overkill for sure but,thats part of the job i guess,and the pros get lots of free goodies from all of this too,so trust me they dont mind saying their sponsors names 50 times during their shows....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thanks guys, I know fishing shows have to make a buck or two and promote stuff thats the way all televison works. It was just wierd to see back to back shows with 2 completly opposit views on advertisements.

Great info here and just goes to show that we all watch differect type of shows cause lord knows my bandwith Downloads from internet shows (TJ / Getting Hooked) and the other shows I watch have gotten me to purchase a few things in my tackel box.

Am I a slave to advertisements I guess so, mind you if the pro's can catch fish with the stuff hopefully I have a chance too.

Thanks again for all who spoke up, great stuff to know.

On a recent Roland Martin show, he was fishing for goliath grouper using live 5 lb amber jacks for bait.

He made it a point to smear Megabass fish attractant on the LIVE FISH. bwahahahahaha

Now that's what was missing from my fishing tactics: putting fish attractant on live baits! :lol: