Lower French

bigmac1984

Hey everyone,

I'll be heading to a fishing camp in the lower French river in a few weeks, and I will be renting a boat. Without any prior knowledge of the area, and not wanting to spend money on a portable fish finder for 4 days of fishing, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a map of the river that might show me depths and contours?

I've tried looking online and I can't find anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Do yourself a huge favour. Bring a fish finder. If you have one that's not portable, make it so. The maps are okay, but those rocks come up pretty fast and having your eyes on the fishfinder can save a prop or lower unit.

There is also a map of the French River that can be purchased at the French River Trading Post. Mostly just outlines the shorelines, cabins, and such. No depths or submerged hazards. Just be darn careful until you know exactly what's under you. Lots of lower unit destructors that can appear out of nowhere.

Edited by Rich Clemens

The French River Provincial Park map is the best you'll find. Its uncharted water, but thats part of the appeal isn't it?

Absolutely, but going without a fish finder is asking for big big problems if you ask me.. That and a hand held GPS at a minimum.

Get a depth finder and go slow. The money you spend on a depth finder will more than pay for itself in banged up props. There really is nothing marked on the Lower French, I have been going there for the last 6 years. Beautiful area but when you think you are safe you are not.

Brian

I hit rocks everytime I go there and I've been going there for 7 years now. I'm always going slow and with my finder on. Haven't damage a lower end yet or a prop. But go slow if you don't know the area. Just when you think it's safe, bam, rock. It's an awesome place though.

I use to guide there many years ago and believe me, you'll be out in the middle of wide open water with not a rock in sight and you'll hit one. As far as I know there aren't any good charts available. Lots of maps but no real marine charts. As for a fish finder, try to borrow one but even then you'll have to be really careful. By the time you see the rock on the fish finder you'll already know it is there and the fish finder will just be another thing bouncing around in the boat!

Thanks Guys....

I have managed to get my hands on a portable fish finder, and I know we'll be real careful on the water. Not bringing my own boat for that reason, I'd like it to still be in 1 piece for the rest of the summer!

I'm surprised that no-one mentioned, a good pair of polarized sunglasses always helps, in unfamiliar waters.

You might be able to see a rock before the fishfinder.

Best option for uncharted waters is to talk to the locals and resort owners. The french has some crazy water level fluctuations and is one of the reasons why it will not be charted. Last year the water was down almost 9 feet in some areas over the normal... this year I am hearing it is up almost 5ft above. Dont quote me on "current" water levels, but that is a huge variance.

If you stay at a place like the Wolseley Lodge, Harold has a basic shorline map that me marks the danger zones on. This has been quite helpfull as like other have mentioned, dangerous rock can be found in the most unlikely places.