Teen driver charged after crash causes $100K damages

Pikeslayer

Teen driver charged after crash causes $100,000 in damages

A teen police suspect was texting has been charged with careless driving after a crash in Barrie, Ont., damaged vehicles, a house and a boat.

Police allege a 17-year-old girl was speeding on Raquel Street on Monday night when she lost control and hit a car parked in a driveway.

The car was pushed into a boat, and the boat was pushed into the house and a neighbour's vehicle.

Police estimate the damage at more than $100,000.

The girl sustained minor injuries.

Police say they suspect the driver was texting and trying to pick up her cat at the time of the crash.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/teen-driver-charged-after-crash-causes-100000-in-damages/article2060004/

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Texting and driving is definitely one of the worst things you can do.

Live and learn, hopefully she doesn't get it too bad, but remembers not to do it for the rest of her life.

When her insurance renewal comes up, she certainly will remember for a looooooooong time.

Actually, she will be 'facility'. A regular insurance company won't touch her.

When her insurance renewal comes up, she certainly will remember for a looooooooong time.

Actually, she will be 'facility'. A regular insurance company won't touch her.

I'm still in the under 25 age group, and I actually had something like this happen to me a few months back. Rubbed my eyes for 2 seconds, and slammed into 2 cars ahead of me..Was looking at insurance skyrocketing too....Was terrible to think about it. (Wasn't too worried about being driven everywhere, except I wouldn't be able to drive to go fishing anymore!) Consider myself about as lucky as I can ever be, as my insurance didn't go to an unaffordable rate.

This is why I do feel that people should get a second chance. Ontario insurance I hear is amongst the worst though...

This is why I do feel that people should get a second chance. Ontario insurance I hear is amongst the worst though...

I agree to an extent. Rubbing your eyes is not illegal, texting, or using any hand held electronic device is.

Second chances do not get the message across that is is dangerous and potentially fatal to be distracted with phones,ipads, gps units, and portable audio equipment while in control of an automobile. What if she had died or killed someone? Second chance? I think not.

Paul

It was a 19 year old girl with a 2 week old G2 talking on her cel phone who rear ended my wife while she was stopped at a red light. My two kids aged 4 and 2 were in the back seat.

Miraculously no injuries.

I'm not real big on second chances.

Even at 100 grand, it's a cheap lesson; a lot worse could have happened than just property damage. As for all those not thinking she deserves a second chance, she's a 17 yr old kid, and like me I'm sure you've all lived your lives without doing something stupid at some point. Maybe we just didn't make the paper.

Even at 100 grand, it's a cheap lesson; a lot worse could have happened than just property damage. As for all those not thinking she deserves a second chance, she's a 17 yr old kid, and like me I'm sure you've all lived your lives without doing something stupid at some point. Maybe we just didn't make the paper.

A terrible mistake....and apparently a lucky outcome.

Edited by ctdd2006

17...27....37.....47...57...etc etc What difference does her/his age make??

Like what...47 year olds don't talk on the cell phone and get in accidents :rolleyes:

Yes it does make a difference. There's a reason why insurance companies have different rates depending on age gender and experience.

:rolleyes:

shouldn't insurance company's have different insurance rates for people who use there phone while driving then to?? not that is its now legal, i have almost been plowed into on more then one occasion by some one talking/txting on a phone.. lots of people in there 30-40-50 and so on get in accidents to they just dont make the news...

Playing with the dash TV screen in my F150 and all the settings and features is much more dangerous than talking on a cell phone! Probably more dangerous than texting..

not that you would text and drive

and text 5 times faster then I can text as you drive your truck

Did we hit anything... I don't remember.. I had my head down !! dunno.gif

just my two cents worth, and not jacking the topic

Yesterdays accident at brock rd and mclean rd in guelph(arberfoyle)wallbash.gif

Truck drivers at times are worse than teens, thinking that all is fine to google and chat awaymad.gif

Sorry, just had to let it out.

I hope the fellow survives.

shouldn't insurance company's have different insurance rates for people who use there phone while driving then to?? not that is its now legal, i have almost been plowed into on more then one occasion by some one talking/txting on a phone.. lots of people in there 30-40-50 and so on get in accidents to they just dont make the news...

Exactly !!! People have accidents at all ages.So at what age should the cut off point be for giving the responsible person a break?? 18-20-30-55??

You cause an accident through carelessness, you PAY the price, whatever your age.And you sure DO here about 30-40-50 year olds causing stupid accidents.

This teen steps in when an adult is driving drunk.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3174090

Barrie teen helps police curb drunk driver

'He hit the car so fast it was like a pebble on a road'

By IAN MCINROY, Barrie Examiner

Updated 9:45pm June 16

James Sanna isn't used to seeing big SUVs bouncing off the curbs of his east-end Barrie neighbourhood.

After watching a Chevrolet Tahoe slam into a parked car on Codrington Street Wednesday night and push it like "a pebble on a road," he quickly dialled 911 to alert Barrie city police.

It didn't take long for Sanna, 19, to figure out the driver — who fled the scene when his vehicle finally came to a stop — was impaired.

"I saw (the SUV) go on a curb and off a curb and I ran towards it while it was still in motion and saw it hit the Golf," he said from his Codrington Street home. "He hit the car so fast it was like a pebble on a road. The way it impacted, it must've been going 80 kilometres per hour."

Barrie police Const. Toni Dufour could not confirm how fast the truck was going in the 50 km/h zone when it struck the car.

"I know that the impact was strong enough to cause both vehicles to mount the curb and come to rest on the front lawn of a residence," she said.

When the motorist was exiting his vehicle, Sanna's suspicions were confirmed.

"He got out of the truck. As he opened his door a beer can fell out."

Sanna says the Tahoe "was smoking like crazy" so he jumped inside to turn off the ignition.

But he had concerns about possible occupants in the Golf, which was badly damaged.

"At the time, I didn't know if anyone was in the car," he said, adding he when police arrived, he pointed them in the direction the driver fled.

Officers cornered him not too far away near the bottom of Puget Street at Shanty Bay Road East.

A 37-year-old man was returned to the police station to provide breath samples which — according to police — showed he had four times the legal limit of alcohol is his system.

Barrie police are commending Sanna's actions.

"This citizen notified the police service of a criminal act in progress and stayed in the area to ensure police located the suspect," Dufour said. "Because of this citizen's actions, police were able to attend the scene and arrest the suspect quickly, ensuring no loss of evidence."

Sanna said he was following his conscience when he decided to call 911 and investigate the scene prior to police arriving.

"It was the right thing to do, I hope everyone would do the same thing. I just don't like drinking and driving," he said.

"My family — my mom — all use this road. He could've been driving down this street and hit me (instead)," Sanna said. "When it comes to cars, you shouldn't be doing that. It's a two-ton vehicle.

"If you don't learn you never learn. If he didn't get caught he'd be back driving drunk next week."

As a driver in Ontario, you are allowed to use your cell phone while operating a motor vehicle if you are calling 911 as a result of an emergency, Dufour said.

"It is important that citizens call police and report situations like this one. When police and the community work together, it makes Barrie a safer place for everyone," she said.

[email protected]