Maribou jigs

Rod Caster

Currently my favorite lure, the maribou jigs work great alone or tipped with a minnow fishing for walleye. In the rivers especially they give you an advantage over regular jig heads; a long sweeping stop and go or a slow tapping retrieve is a great walleye tactic.

For those who have experience with these hairy, water-retaining jigs, any care and maintenance tips to offer? I suppose a nearby rag would help a lot in avoiding tackle-box rust.

Anyone else loving these?

100_0011.jpg

I hang them as well as my large musky lures to dry during the day I will put my musky lures on the plainer board reels to dry off with the air as I troll around. If not I will hang them inside the boat for the drive home and let them dry off that way.

For your smaller ones and not fishing from a boat just carry a separate plastic case from the $$$ store and put the wet ones in there then let them dry off at home later.

Just give them to me when they get wet.

Haha I don't think so Tim.

So far wrapping them in a rag has worked pretty good, and it saves me carrying extra boxes.

Must have been a slow bite yesterday as I fished three prime rivers on my way to the Soo and only

got a few tail bite-offs. Oh well, nice territory here!

tie some of those on dropshot hooks (I guess that would be a fly) and try it on a ds rig.....deadly, and waaay cheaper than using plastics.

That might work for some inland rainbows here... I'm gonna try that ,good idea.

Anyone have good maribou jig makers or suppliers... Lookin for 1/8 - 1/2 oz weight

That might work for some inland rainbows here... I'm gonna try that ,good idea.

Anyone have good maribou jig makers or suppliers... Lookin for 1/8 - 1/2 oz weight

It works on all kinds of hungry fish. Even better than marabou is a rabbit-strip leech pattern. The hide side of the rabbit strip holds scent forever, and nothing imitates a leech better.

i use them on nipissing to battle against the shad fly season. Works good considering much of the lake shuts down during the hatchCheers!

I was at LakAir, Tuesday to Thursday before the G2G. Lots of may/shad flies on water, not many on the windows, as we made our way east all the way to the main body, the surface was covered will millions/billions of dead flies and larva carcuses. A nickel sized ball of them would form over the swivel, every 5 minutes or so well trolling. The one morning, a couple fished came up to eat the flys on the surface. I've been in North Bay when they hatch and walked the main street to the sound of thousands of the flys being crushed as they covered everything. It's pretty crazy the amount of flys that come off that lake!

I'm sure the fish would be in tuned to these things as they hatch, or tuned into the minnows/smaller fish that are eating them.

Does everybody who fishes Nipissing know of the shad fly shut down? Might as well pack in the jigging and cast weeds of pike during this time?

I might want to plan to fish around it next time. We didn't catch a pickeral, and only had one one. Catching small pike isn't too exciting. Love the area up there, and love the potential, but my past 2 trips there have been pretty lame fishing. First time there, 3years ago, just after Canada Day weekend, I did okay with a 12lb pike, 5-6lb eye well casting shorelines, and a decent evening bite at the community holes. This year fishing the Krown or other hoels wasn't productive, and others were mentionting it's been slow the the past few years.

Don't know if it's on a decline or just a shad fly hatch shutdown, any other comments?

Did the G2G have much luck other than some pike?

At lakair since our tournament is for pike and all want the trophy. We target mostly pike to find a good hole.

I have been fishing nipp since i was a kid and i to think that the fish are on a down, but i also think that the lake is changing, I do not remember as many weed as there are now there has always been weeds but not as much.

so now when i go out i try places that i would not have thought of trying before and that's were i find them

The shad flies do effect the fishing and its not just the pickeral, seems everything slows down. The hatch is near its end now.

As for maribou's, I use them all the time. Bass pro sells cards of them for crappies up to 1/8 oz at a real good price and decent colour selection. They have the "pipe cleaner" body, you can put a drop or two of scent on the body and it doesn't foul up the action of the maribou (put scent there and it'll foul up the action). When they dry the feathers stick together, just pull apart with your fingers as much as you can and your good to go. After a while the maribou gets gunky and its time for a fresh one......