Bearing Buddies..

scugpg

I was reading through a few threads on here about bearing buddies and I just worked on a trailer recently that had them. I couldn't believe the amount of wasted grease just sitting in the hub and I think it was actually causing drag on the wheel.

What do you guys think of them? My initial thoughts are they put too much grease in the hub.

Rememeber.. all that "wasted grease" in there is taking up space and maintaining pressure. If the space is filled and the grease is under slight pressure water can't flow in when you dunk it in the lake.

When your hub isn't full of grease... IE no bearing buddies. When you dunk your trailer and the water gets into the hub, it works like a centrifuge cleaner and the water washes the grease off the bearing surfaces.

Rememeber.. all that "wasted grease" in there is taking up space and maintaining pressure. If the space is filled and the grease is under slight pressure water can't flow in when you dunk it in the lake.

When your hub isn't full of grease... IE no bearing buddies. When you dunk your trailer and the water gets into the hub, it works like a centrifuge cleaner and the water washes the grease off the bearing surfaces.

Good point. I don't know if it would be that good to have so much grease in there all the time either, might cause too much heat as it would essentially cause drag.

So if I refill the buddies, just fill the hub full with grease, put the buddy on and give it a couple shots until the spring comes out a bit but not to the end?

They work but I still pop the wheels off every year to inspect the bearings; as Wayne says that wasted grease is filling a void, dunk warm wheel assemblies in cool lake water the vacuum will suck in water.

Trailer tires rotate in the 1000 RPM range, it is only when you get to the 3000+ RPMs that you have to worry about bearings skipping, hydroplaning and much excess drag.

Dan

Good point. I don't know if it would be that good to have so much grease in there all the time either, might cause too much heat as it would essentially cause drag.

So if I refill the buddies, just fill the hub full with grease, put the buddy on and give it a couple shots until the spring comes out a bit but not to the end?

If you are installing new bearings or cleaning old ones, they have to be hand packed. Applying grease through a Bearing Buddy cannot fill all of the voids. Air pockets can form.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8293470844095773448#

Bearing Buddies can only be filled to a point. Once they reach that point, grease comes out around the piston letting you know that the proper spring tension has been achieved and the hub is full. I bought my EZ LOADER in 2000. It came equipped with Bearing Buddies. Eleven years and many many miles. Not one problem. Overtime some of the grease will break down into a liquid form. The liquid can seep past the inner seal. This combined with the dust it attracts can appear to be more serious than it actually is. I just check the position of the piston and top up with a squirt or two of wheel bearing grease. If you start to see gobs of grease on the backside if the hub or wheel then the seal needs to be replaced.

My previous trailer had 8" wheels and no "Buddies". Each and every year they had to be repacked or replaced. mOre often replaced. The higher rpm of the smaller wheels caused the grease to breakdown more rapidly. The dust caps weren't waterproof and by the end of the season, everything was full of water.

Personally, I wouldn't own a trailer without Bearing Buddiies.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/why.html

Edited by Roe Bag

If you are installing new bearings or cleaning old ones, they have to be hand packed. Applying grease through a Bearing Buddy cannot fill all of the voids. Air pockets can form.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8293470844095773448#

Bearing Buddies can only be filled to a point. Once they reach that point, grease comes out around the piston letting you know that the proper spring tension has been achieved and the hub is full. I bought my EZ LOADER in 2000. It came equipped with Bearing Buddies. Eleven years and many many miles. Not one problem. Overtime some of the grease will break down into a liquid form. The liquid can seep past the inner seal. This combined with the dust it attracts can appear to be more serious than it actually is. I just check the position of the piston and top up with a squirt or two of wheel bearing grease. If you start to see gobs of grease on the backside if the hub or wheel then the seal needs to be replaced.

My previous trailer had 8" wheels and no "Buddies". Each and every year they had to be repacked or replaced. mOre often replaced. The higher rpm of the smaller wheels caused the grease to breakdown more rapidly. The dust caps weren't waterproof and by the end of the season, everything was full of water.

Personally, I wouldn't own a trailer without Bearing Buddiies.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/why.html

Yup I have a bearing packer so I'm good there,was just wondering if its good to fill the hub up with grease instead of pumping so much in afterwards and just do it a couple times.

Yup I have a bearing packer so I'm good there,was just wondering if its good to fill the hub up with grease instead of pumping so much in afterwards and just do it a couple times.

I would pack the hubs by hand. This will ensure less chance of any air pockets. When installing the plastic dust caps you will need to slide them on over something like a finishing nail or round toothpick. The caps are air tight and won't slide unless you create a space which will allow air to escape. Once in place, remove the nail/toothpick.

there is nothing wrong with bearing buddies. Most problems that occur with them are caused by the user over filling them and blowing out the rear seals. For some reason, people like to use too much grease.

My trailer has a different set up, called EZ lube. Looks just like a bearing buddy, only the zerk fitting is built into the axle spindle, and supplies grease to the inside bearing first. There is a vent on the ouside bearing that lets me know when its full. I've only had this set up for a season, but so far, seems pretty good. No water in my bearings, and i haven't had to touch a thing yet. I still check them every fall though, just for piece of mind. If you ever need to replace an axle, I think its the way to go.

S.

there is nothing wrong with bearing buddies. Most problems that occur with them are caused by the user over filling them and blowing out the rear seals. For some reason, people like to use too much grease.

My trailer has a different set up, called EZ lube. Looks just like a bearing buddy, only the zerk fitting is built into the axle spindle, and supplies grease to the inside bearing first. There is a vent on the ouside bearing that lets me know when its full. I've only had this set up for a season, but so far, seems pretty good. No water in my bearings, and i haven't had to touch a thing yet. I still check them every fall though, just for piece of mind. If you ever need to replace an axle, I think its the way to go.

S.

Sinker, this new system you are referring to (EZ LUBE) is now coming standard with most pop up trailers...it a very good system and much better then the Bearing Buddies guys add to their boat trailers.