Anyway of making a fish finder portable?

Wymen

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have made a "boat mounted" fish finder /w a transom mount transducer portable? I'm figuring get a 12v gel battery for power. A heavy duty suction cup for the transducer mount. Some sort of wood frame to mount the battery and unit to.

Am I missing something?

Wymen

about 20 times

I used suction cups on small slow boats

but for bigger faster boats, a hockey stick with the transducer on the one end and a clamp on the other end works much better

and you pickerel paul it ...I mean clamp-et ...clamp it..there that's it

Any fishfinder (sonar unit) can be made portable, a 12 volt power supply, containment box of your choice and a transducer/bracket mounted to a piece of hardwood fastened with with a c-clamp to the transom (better than any suction cup) will work.

I bought the portable softcase kit for my Humminbird 747c for ice fishing. I've also used it for flyin trips as well. The kit comes with everything you need (case, battery, recharger also the suction cup mounts)..

I used my LMS-350 in an improvised portable setup for years when guiding on Great Bear.

The transducer and speed&temp guage were attached to a piece of 3/4" oak flooring and the gps antenna to a portable clamp mount while the lcd and battery were housed in a portable box of my own making. I used it like this for 15 years. I used a bungee cord between the head unit and battery compartment wrapped around the bench seat to keep it from moving around.

FYI Suction cups SUCK!!!!! Use a slab of wood and a C clamp.

PB210031.jpg

PB210032.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I haven't done it myself, but seen many. People used toolboxes or ammo boxes for the case. Forget the suction cup for sure, real pain. Piece of wood and a C-clamp is far superior. I purchased a portable sonar and tossed the suction cup after a few trips. To replace it I purchased one of those metal transducer mounts that you clamp on instead. They are pretty horrible too.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the toolbox club as well.. Using a humminbird 765 widescreen inside a cheap Canadian tire 16" plastic toolbox.. Also mounted a trailer breakaway battery from princess auto in there for power supply. I then went one step further and installed a cigarette lighter so I can plug in my gps and use the fishfinder battery.

about 20 times

I used suction cups on small slow boats

but for bigger faster boats, a hockey stick with the transducer on the one end and a clamp on the other end works much better

and you pickerel paul it ...I mean clamp-et ...clamp it..there that's it

I use the exact same setup on my Tin boat. Hockey stick and clamp.

I did this a few years back and it still works great for ice fishing I don't have the transducer mounted on the box that did not work as I wanted it to. I have foam inside to insulate the battery and also keep the GPS from getting banged around when on the quad or in the truck heading out fishing.

93d2d41c.jpg

7ef1a059.jpg

56819ed1.jpg