Boat Floatation

Mike01

So I finally got all the flooring out of my boat and fixed the hull. In the process the foam insulation was heavily damaged and could not be replaced easily.

I'd like to spray foam the areas affected but I have a feeling its going to cost upwards of $200 using those small cans.

Can anyone think of a better idea, or do you know somewhere I can get larger cans?

Thanks

Mike

Start collecting those packing peanuts. You can get them at many of the U-haul centres.

Other option would be to purchase the 2 part system at a marine supplier or possibly at CTC. I do recall seeing it there at our local store a few years back.

Start collecting those packing peanuts. You can get them at many of the U-haul centres.

Be aware that a lot of the packing peanuts are now the corn starch type that shrivel into nothing once water contacts them. Just saying, because that would not be a good thing to use as floatation in a boat. :whistling:

Awe crap i cant stay quiet any longer.

With foam there are 2 types opnen cell and closed cell. open cell will absorbe water closed dosent.

the sprayfoam that we buy is open. The foam that liecenced insulators use is closed cell it does not absorbe water. but it is toxic during aplication thats why the general public cant apply it.

SO

My sudjestion to you would be to find a local guy that is willing to work with you on a cash basis.

Closed cell is used for insulating in homes.

For the life of me I dont understand why boats that have foam in them are always heavyer comming out of the water than going in? (open cell)

There are reports out there that closed cell shrinks when used for home insulation but the actual truth is that it is the wood used in building a structure that shrinks and causes the structure to setle.

Closed cell will hold water over time as well but thats the foam you want.I would suggest laying a sort of false floor down low in your hull before applying to keep foam off the bottom to reduce the chance of water retention.I know a guy that filled under the floor with 2ltr pop bottles after he removed soaked foam,don't know the floatation value of the bottles but a different idea anyway.My last boat had no exposed foam below the gunnel,anything below was glassed into sealed compartments to prevent water logging.It can add 100's of pounds to your hull weight if exposed to water over time,even the closed cell.

What about going at it with the blue insulation foam sheets and a electric knife? My old Sylvan had what looked to be preformed blocks inserted in the gunwales and floor , the blue stuff my have better longevity from what I gather .

Thanks guys,

Closed call spray would be the best option I think. I didn't know it came in different varieties, so thanks for that!

If I can't find anyone to do it for me, I think I'll go with the blue foam sheets and cut it too fit. The foam doesn't go directly over the center off the hull it more off too the side so I'm hoping there shouldn't be any standing water.

With foam there are 2 types opnen cell and closed cell. open cell will absorbe water closed dosent.

the sprayfoam that we buy is open. The foam that liecenced insulators use is closed cell it does not absorbe water. but it is toxic during aplication thats why the general public cant apply it.

Buddy at work picked up an old F.G trihull and has restored it including removing all flooring and foam. He then had an insulation company come right to his home and spray it for 300 bucks. He feels that it was a good price as he had shopped around.

If you are interested I can find out who did it for him.

Got it all finished up yesterday. I used the blue DOW sheets cut to size and filled the rest in with a few cans of spray. Looks pretty good and the rate this thing is going I think it will outlast the boat, which is only an '05 :(