Outboard Lower Unit Grenaded

MSBruno

All,

Looking for some advice.

I locked up my lower unit on my 1994 40HP 2-stroke Johnson outboard by putting it in the reverse before comming to a complete stop in the forward direction (5km/h coating forward) last September. Paid for it to be fully rebuilt with new parts.

This week, I was accelerating towards the marina after a few hours of fishing and I grenaded the lower unit, golf-ball sized hole in the lower unit casing, oil slick behind the boat.

The marina who'd replaced the lower unit last September, looked at the lower unit and said it was probably a faulty part which would all be covered under warranty.

Just received a call from the marina and they informed me that the clutch dog was behind the gears and the clutch dog was the issue and thi only happens from the same issue I expereinced last fall, but putting it in reverse while going forward.

Since last fall, I've onl had 10 outings and have always been very cautious of this older outboard, therefore not putting it in reverse at all other than pulling it out of the marina, being very aware of the propeller bein absolutely stopped.

The marina says that the lower unit is now not covered under warranty as it was not a faulty part and is now quoting on rebuilding the lower unit again. The marina has always been good to me and is the same marina where i have my slip. They had the outboard rebuild at another, professional marina who specializes in Johnsons. My Marina is stuck between helping me out and the other marina who rebuilt the engine and now won't warranty their parts/work becasue of the clutch dog position behind the gears.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I'd keep at them. They rebuilt it and any problem with it is theirs. If they keep giving you the runaround, I'd let them know that you will be taking them to small claims court. Ridiculous that they won't repair it. BTW, don't admit to them that you put it into reverse while it was still spinning in forward the first time around, it gives them ammunition to use against you.

Good luck.

Irishfield has it sooo correct!

I don't care if it's a 14' tin can, or a 41' yacht, it's impossible to dock the boat without using forward or reverse thrust against present direction.

It's the only brakes you have.

Whoever took your money on the repair, is the one to pursue for the warranty.

Good luck with your quest.

Man... if you can't shift into reverse while still moving forward how would you ever properly dock a boat???

Exactlyhuh.gif

When i picked up my boat, the person doing the orientation said that while docking, putting the motor into reverse was like brakes on a car. Never put it into reverse at high speeds,but docking speed causes no problems.

Man... if you can't shift into reverse while still moving forward how would you ever properly dock a boat???

...or clear weeds from your prop...

it is not the moving forward it is the RPM's are back to idle that count. Shifting at RPM's above 1000 will damage any drive train. You are expected to shift from forward to neutral then reverse. I am not saying that they don't owe you a repair but if their is physical evidence that you shifted it incorrectly just ask them to show you what part is broken and then get a second opinion.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

it is not the moving forward it is the RPM's are back to idle that count. Shifting at RPM's above 1000 will damage any drive train. You are expected to shift from forward to neutral then reverse.

Exactly!

Obviously shifting gears at idle speed is necessary for docking.

I doubt many people would slam their boat into reverse at 5mph while docking. :rolleyes:

IMO you're getting shafted here. I'd bug the marina to death 'till they fixed the motor. :angry:

Edited by solopaddler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

UPDATE: Marina has informed me that Sierra parts in the USA will be replacing lower unit free of charge with new parts and used/painted casing.

good news!