arctic adventure

BIG FISH

Here. Really great price but they only ship to the states.

http://www.knives.net/ULUPAGE.htm

You could also try try pm'ing Drifter_016

up in Yellowknife, he may be able to track one down for you.

Shouldn't be hard to find an ULU up here. :whistling:

I actually have a souvenier one sitting on my bookshelf in the living room. :D

Looks like an incredible life experience.

That char meat is so red it looks like fire.

It would be a sushi bar's dream, no wonder you were eating it raw.

i'll let the pics do the talking

daveandseal.jpg

That baby seal looks like it would make a great pet. :lol:

Looks quite alive in that picture!

why a baby seal?

thanks for all the awesome comments guys :thumbsup_anim: for those of you interested in the ulu (knife) i would check out the iqaluit sell/swap group on facebook or even the pangnirtung sell/swap group also on facebook and see if someone can ship you one they are by far the sharpest knife i have used. i brought back almost a dozen of em for friends and family and kept 4 for my self lol

about the baby seal its an absolute delicassy. they love the baby seal meat, and also the fur is very warm i purchased a pair of baby seal skin mitts when i was up there and my hands never got cold even in the harshest arctic weather ( got to about -50)

the inuit way of living is a lot different then what were used to down south, when an inuit boy reaches a certain age as a right of passage into manhood they have to kill a baby seal, we brought this guy back alive for the hunters grandson. i got to play around with the thing for a good two hours on the ride back home

i was very lucky to get the chance to go up there as my cousin is a nurse and got called up there for some work. she will be returning to ontario shortly as her work is done. if she wasnt there then there would be no way i could go up there i think the hotel is like 250$ a night or something.

i also got to see a polar bear unfortunately no pics as my camera was frozen (ran into this problem many of times lol) we were seal hunting at the floe edge and the hunter pointed it out to me. i could barely see it so we hopped on the ski-doo and drove right up close to it i would say about 30 yards away from it. it ran away from us and we chased it to the floe edge and it jumped into the water. the biggest most magnificent most beatifull creature i have ever seen

the arctic char was the most clean and pure fish i have ever tasted, one of the hunters explained the life cycle to me (they dont speak much english so this is what i understood)the char live in the salt water and eat and get big, then in the fall they migrate up the rivers to spawn after they spawn they keep going up river and they make there way up into the freshwater moutain lakes for winter, when the big spring meltoff starts and all the snow and ice melts they get washed back into the ocean, and get big for a couple months and then repeat the process

heres a picture of my ulu's, a toy owl made out of baby seal skin, some rocks from the arctic circle and by far my most prized possesion my inuit fishing rod

025.png

Edited by BIG FISH

Wicked!!!

Thats a true adventure for sure.

Some people tavel for Culture, some for scenary, and some for sport....you got all three in this trip!

I find the seal thing both cool and funny...I've never played with my Deer before eating it LOL!!!