Help! 25W40 Merc Oil Scare!

GNODDY

Hey Guys,

I just dropped the oil on my 40Hp EFI after 10 hours. I'm a bit scared but I don't have any experience with semi syn 25W40 outboard oil. The color is funny kind of a greenish brown. I have a pic but can't seem to upload it.

G

Was it the 25W40 "blend". Sounds about right.. mine ends up a bit more on the black side thanks to the Supercharger.

If I'm not mistaken I also have a couple gallons in the hangar, unopened, as I switched to the Verado specific mix they came out with a couple years ago.

Here's a pic fellas.

Wayne I was hoping you would pop in and comment on this.

MotorOil.jpg

I use the same oil and it does not look like that. The milky colour in the oil is an indicator of water/moisture. The only time ive seen this is when I rebuilt my engine and using engine assembly lube.

This is oil from his engine John.. not the lower unit.

If he's got water in the engine oil... head gasket or the cowling filled with rain (or lake) water above the dipstick hole.

Edited by irishfield

The guys on this board have a wealth of knowledge - Wayne and Vinnimon especially, along with some others when it comes to motors, but if you only have 10 hours on it, dont you think it would be a better approach to take this to the place you bought if from and ask them? If its under warranty it shouldnt cost you a thing - and you can ask them for their opinion in writing.

Spincast I will be in touch with the dealer this morning but my heart was falling apart when I dropped the oil last night LOL and the dealer wasn't open for me to call. I'm going to also be giving them a call this morning.

G

"I just dropped the oil on my 40Hp EFI after 10 hours"

On some new motors they may have a brake-in additive in with the oil. This may be what you are seeing.

On new motors the oil doesn't change colour very much the first few times you change them.

Let that bottle sit and see if anything(water or other) separates.

I would guess you are ok.

Call the dealer.

Apart from it looking like liquid baby poop, I wonder if it's not condensation mixed with the oil. Some 4 strokes seen to have a bad habit of "making oil" from running at low speed and not burning off the moisture.

I hope that's just recent and didn't sit in the engine all winter.

Edited by Fisherman

Spoke with the dealer today and the first thing he asked when seeing this pic was Were you trolling for longer than 2 or 3 hours. Apparently this is common in motors with less than 10 hrs and with trolling. He asked if I dropped it I said yes he said alright run it this weekend and continue to check for my own piece of mind but he didn't seem all that concerned. This was the marine mechanic he also asked where I was as soon as I said quinte he said yup that's what's happened the water being so cold and the long run time it's put condensation in the oil.

Edited by GNODDY

gnoddy i have a 40hp merc efi on my lund,and when you get this sorted out just a hint i have been running castrol syntec 10w 30 synthetic since day one in 2006,,,,and no problems when mine was new it didnt do that for sure...and i do tons of trolling on my engine!!! hmmm... let us know please

Spoke with the dealer today and the first thing he asked when seeing this pic was Were you trolling for longer than 2 or 3 hours. Apparently this is common in motors with less than 10 hrs and with trolling. He asked if I dropped it I said yes he said alright run it this weekend and continue to check for my own piece of mind but he didn't seem all that concerned. This was the marine mechanic he also asked where I was as soon as I said quinte he said yup that's what's happened the water being so cold and the long run time it's put condensation in the oil.

this probably has something to do with the fact that you're not suppose to run any new motor at a constant speed (or full throttle) until it's at least partially broke in...

Well I was right then, it's not burning off the condensation. Last thing after fishing or trolling, I'm usually about 3-4 km off shore and run the motor at about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle, that warms it enough to prevent that problem.