Outboard won't start

MSBruno

Hi All,

Trying to start my '94 2-stroke 40 Johnson and I'm not getting any spark. It crank's but it won't fire up. The spark plugs are new. Kill tether is on.

I feel like it's something simple, but I can't wrap my head around it.

Any ideas?

Check for spark, if you have that, check for fuel.

S.

I don't have spark. I have the spark plugs outside the block, grounded to the block and I don't get spark when I crank.

I have fuel, it shoots out the spark plug hole when I crank

Well, it could be many things. You sure the kill switch is attached properly? Loose connection somewhere in the ignition? A blown fuse somewhere.......the list is endless.

S.

Kill switch is connected

The only fuse I see under the cowel is fine. The fuses under the dash are fine too

Edited by MSBruno

Sounds like the same problem my buddy had on his motor.Problem was the kill switch. Put an ohm meter across the two wires of the kill switch.

With the landyard clip installed---- no continuity----open switch--- not a problem with switch; however move the clip and watch ometer for shorts

With landyard clip uninstalled------continuity------closed switch; switch working properly-------no spark at plugs

Sounds like the same problem my buddy had on his motor.Problem was the kill switch. Put an ohm meter across the two wires of the kill switch.

With the landyard clip installed---- no continuity----open switch--- not a problem with switch; however move the clip and watch ometer for shorts

With landyard clip uninstalled------continuity------closed switch; switch working properly-------no spark at plugs

I'd try bypassing the kill switch and see if it starts then go from there.

Kerry

I'd try bypassing the kill switch and see if it starts then go from there.

Kerry

I just tested the kill switch:

The landyard clips on and depressed the button on the kill switch. I have continuity with the lanyard on AND off. Should it break continuity with the lanyard off, like a reverse switch?

should I just cut the wires and see if it fires up? will that give me the best result?

Edited by MSBruno

The kill switch grounds the coil out when the clip comes out.. if it has continuity all the time then that is your problem. Unhook a wire and she'll fire right up. Replace the kill switch if you're driving with the lanyard hooked to your belt.. if not.. well.. don't waste the money.

I cut the kill switch out and nothing

Any other ideas?

It sounds simple but I will mention it anyways (as it has happened to me).

Are your batteries fully charged and putting out enough juice? If not, you may get it to crank but without enough juice it will not turn over. Also, make sure your battery connections are clean/rust free/secure.

I live in Woodbridge too in case you need to try out a different battery.