Bronte launch

Squid

Boy was I shocked today to find out that the parking at the Bronte Launch went from 5$ dollars last year to a whopping 17$ this year. Quite high for a municipal launch IMO. Must be a plan to limit the amount of fishermen that disturb the big boats docked at the harbor.

The launch was never five bucks if anything it went up $2, if I recall it was $15 last year. It's a great launch with great docking and lots of parking, with security to boot, so $17 to launch is not that bad for service. The days of free boat launching is over.

The launch was never five bucks if anything it went up $2, if I recall it was $15 last year. It's a great launch with great docking and lots of parking, with security to boot, so $17 to launch is not that bad for service. The days of free boat launching is over.

The year before last it was 5 bucks. Then it jumped to 15 last year. They wanted to make it 20 changed their minds because of the e-mails that were raining down upon them. The security leaves after everybody launches. So the sailboaters can vandalize your truck and trailer while your out fishing. The sailboaters do not like the anglers launching their boats at 6 in the morning while they are sleeping off their wine in the cabin.

I personally have only had nice experiences at the launch with poeple and that did not stop them from trying to vandalize our trailer. They put flat stones on the bunks, had my father not been on the ball when he went to get the truck I would have drove right up on to them.

Some guys have come back to their truck to find their lugnuts backed right off and in some cases gone.

Hazel treats the anglers right. I also launched out of Port Dalhousie and was very impressed with the way the St Catharines game and fish association treats everybody.

Unfortunatly Bronte is straight down Hwy 25 from me so that is where I must launch. I can't drive an extra 20 minutes each way to go to Port Credit. Too much gas.

I have launched for free at the marina at the mouth of 16 mile creek in 'downtown' Oakville but something tells me I got a way with it as opposed to it being the norm. Has anybody else regularly used the launch on the west side of the creek down the hill from Lakeshore?

The year before last it was 5 bucks. Then it jumped to 15 last year. They wanted to make it 20 changed their minds because of the e-mails that were raining down upon them. The security leaves after everybody launches. So the sailboaters can vandalize your truck and trailer while your out fishing. The sailboaters do not like the anglers launching their boats at 6 in the morning while they are sleeping off their wine in the cabin.

I personally have only had nice experiences at the launch with poeple and that did not stop them from trying to vandalize our trailer. They put flat stones on the bunks, had my father not been on the ball when he went to get the truck I would have drove right up on to them.

Some guys have come back to their truck to find their lugnuts backed right off and in some cases gone.

Hazel treats the anglers right. I also launched out of Port Dalhousie and was very impressed with the way the St Catharines game and fish association treats everybody.

Unfortunatly Bronte is straight down Hwy 25 from me so that is where I must launch. I can't drive an extra 20 minutes each way to go to Port Credit. Too much gas.

Your statement is to say the least over the top, Sailors are wino's and vandals?

Edited by fishforfun

Maybe not but I hear they cuss a lot.

Yes they do. We're all saiors by definition so I find that a broad brush to be painting with. The inference was probably directed at sail boaters but with out proof that they are guilty of these acts? Just saying .

It has been a major problem with the marina folks,the launch and parking is owned by the city but the Marina folks believe that they own the land. The security would not even let us park down by the launch early in the morning. We had to park up at the grass parking. FF I believe that Lasalle is still free and there is the launch under the skyway which is 10-12 $ not sure though.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I won't go there. Now I'm having second thoughts of buying a Sun Derby Ticket. Gas going through the roof and getting raped at the launch. :wallbash:

I'd look at Fifty Point as an alternate to Bronte, beleive the season's pass is $95, cheaper if senior rates apply. If you are fishing any distance offshore it is only a couple of miles further to the same water and weigh in at Grimsby Tackle, might work for an East Hamilton resident. Living in Grimsby that's what I did rather than trailer around the end of the lake if Shell Pier action was hot.

I used the launch a few times last year, and agree that $15 is the going rate and is kind of steep.

If the parking in the main lot by the launch is all used up, be careful when you use the overflow parking area by the entrance. You must park in the designated blue chalk lined area, with your trailer basically going up the small hill.

I went out late one weekday last year and parked over in the overflow area, but not in the blue chalk lines. The parking lot was empty other than one car when I left and one car when I returned. I got a $40 ticket :wallbash: because I parked in spots reserved for the seasonal holders of boat slips. I was told my $15 only allowed me to park in the blue area.

But for $55, you can park anywhere you like, (except near the fire hydrant). :sarcasm:

Bill

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Paze, you go ahead and pay the 17 bucks, enjoy

BELIEVE

I live 3 minuits from bronte why on earth would I drive 20 minuits to an other launch? Then drive back to bronte to fish? Your right I will launch there no problem. You don't want to launch there then don't more parking for me.

Paul

The launch at Bronte isn't the same for sure. I have been lucky so far with no vandalism, but have heard many horror stories the past couple years. They are at it again this year, as a piece of wood with nails sticking up was left at the dock area with intent to injure. It's getting worse. I use the Bronte ramp all the time because I live close by, and I take my wife and 2-year-old there at times. I can't imagine my son stepping on someone's booby trap and putting a spike through his foot, or worse, tripping and getting it in his eye or head. This crap has to stop. If you see anything suspicious, or have vandalism to your truck or trailer, file a report to the police. The more complaints the police receive, they may do something. Report every incident people. This isn't going away until someone gets caught.

The boaters hate the anglers launching in the morning with a passion. They are responsible for the security guys now hired to reroute anglers in the morning around the speed bumps that make trailer noise. The vandalism and intent to injure is more than likely angry boater/s, as this makes the most sense; however, no accusations can be made until someone gets caught red handed. The past 6 years or so has been a nightmare to launch at Bronte. Boy do I miss the old days at Bronte hassle-free. We used to drive straight to the launch and line up in a straight line on the left, launch and park. No rerouting around the main lane into the parking lot, no hassles. The only noise I can ever remember is trailers squeeking over the speed bumps and outboards starting at the ramp. It's a public boat ramp, what did the boaters along the lane expect when they got a slip? We have been launching our boats to go salmon fishing in the early morning for as long as I can remember, which is over 30 years.

I believe it's only going to get worse until most anglers don't launch at Bronte anymore. Rates will keep going up and vandalism and intent to injure will rise. Keep your eyes open people. The truth is, wealthy boaters are taking over Bronte and anglers bother them.

The launch in Oakville is also $17. Now Bronte Outdoors is gone and so is the GOSD weigh-in for Bronte. You will need to weigh your fish at Port Credit or Fisherman's Pier now. I miss the old Bronte with the weigh-in for the Star derby at the Home Hardware. Different user groups seemed to get along back then.

WOW it sure sound like some people down that way need a size 13 steel tow well placed. If I lived close by I would set up some where with a video camera and wait as I would think it happens at night close to weekends?

Its kinda like the people that bugger about the train noise but bought there house by tracks or hate golf balls but love to live on a driving range.

Im a resident and a taxpayer in Oakville all my life I have lived here and I will be honest it peeves me off that

I have to pay to launch my boat I dont use any other facilities in Oakville but the tax roll makes sure I cover them

I hope they get this figured out. now that being said if your from outside of Oakville I think you should be charged more

thats my opinion as for the vandalisim I have never experienced it in my life I dont care what the other boaters think about

the launching and whatnot its a waterway. Their clubs lease land from oakville for x amount of time as far as im concerned

they need to get over it considering the small sum they pay for the leases Oakville needs to break all the contracts and bring them up to market value and

to top it off if you think that its bad we are now under the microscope and the hate of some because everyone in both harbours has had a 25.00 increase in slip fees

in both harbours plus the 2.00 increase in launch fees and the term being bandied about in the boating world is it is a Towarf Tax. which they made it out to be so for now I will continue to by my launch pass and

I will continue to go to town budget meetings and state my case because IM A TAXPAYER AND NOT HAPPY!!!!!

My 2 Cents

If you want more info go on the towns website and look at the minutes of the meetings and you can see how this has morphed over the last few years

you cant make change without your voice being heard

Peter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Port Credit is and will always be free from city charges, during the derby there is a fee which goes right to CRAA and its 100% put back to the fish. PC is undergoing a massive facelift and it should become even more boater friendly. Oakville doesnt care never will care about fish , fisherman and more

Port Credit is and will always be free from city charges, during the derby there is a fee which goes right to CRAA and its 100% put back to the fish. PC is undergoing a massive facelift and it should become even more boater friendly. Oakville doesnt care never will care about fish , fisherman and more

hopefully with alot of pressure and alot of ranting this will change in time

The launch at Bronte isn't the same for sure. I have been lucky so far with no vandalism, but have heard many horror stories the past couple years. They are at it again this year, as a piece of wood with nails sticking up was left at the dock area with intent to injure. It's getting worse. I use the Bronte ramp all the time because I live close by, and I take my wife and 2-year-old there at times. I can't imagine my son stepping on someone's booby trap and putting a spike through his foot, or worse, tripping and getting it in his eye or head. This crap has to stop. If you see anything suspicious, or have vandalism to your truck or trailer, file a report to the police. The more complaints the police receive, they may do something. Report every incident people. This isn't going away until someone gets caught.

The boaters hate the anglers launching in the morning with a passion. They are responsible for the security guys now hired to reroute anglers in the morning around the speed bumps that make trailer noise. The vandalism and intent to injure is more than likely angry boater/s, as this makes the most sense; however, no accusations can be made until someone gets caught red handed. The past 6 years or so has been a nightmare to launch at Bronte. Boy do I miss the old days at Bronte hassle-free. We used to drive straight to the launch and line up in a straight line on the left, launch and park. No rerouting around the main lane into the parking lot, no hassles. The only noise I can ever remember is trailers squeeking over the speed bumps and outboards starting at the ramp. It's a public boat ramp, what did the boaters along the lane expect when they got a slip? We have been launching our boats to go salmon fishing in the early morning for as long as I can remember, which is over 30 years.

I believe it's only going to get worse until most anglers don't launch at Bronte anymore. Rates will keep going up and vandalism and intent to injure will rise. Keep your eyes open people. The truth is, wealthy boaters are taking over Bronte and anglers bother them.

The launch in Oakville is also $17. Now Bronte Outdoors is gone and so is the GOSD weigh-in for Bronte. You will need to weigh your fish at Port Credit or Fisherman's Pier now. I miss the old Bronte with the weigh-in for the Star derby at the Home Hardware. Different user groups seemed to get along back then.

Well said Aaron. I was going to get back into fishing for Salmon but for that price and the potential hassle no thanks. I can always launch out of Lasalle ou under the skyway.

Edited by Squid

Loads of us that live and fish out of Oakville contacted the city last year when this was being pushed through. I had several emails responded to but honestly it was a futile exercise as the yacht club was putting huge pressure on city council. There's still a few salmon boats with mooring spots as you drive in and the one guy I happened to stop and chat with last year was getting out. They had pushed him from a river spot several years ago to way back up towards the entrance off River street. Told him that they needed the channel spots for bigger boats. I agree, I sure miss the old Bronte. I moved to Oakville 14 years ago and launched out of Bronte until all the vandalism started. Although nothing has ever happened to my trailer. I've seen flat tires and clean cut signal wires a few times. Last year I pulled in to do some peir chucking and the boat guys were cleaning up nails that had been left all over the boat launch

Started using the 16 mile launch but it's gotten crazy busy down there too and never any parking because of that yacht club. Last year I paid my fee and launched at 6am - came back around noon to find my truck and trailer blocked in as there was function on at the club. Took over 30 minutes to find the idiots that were illegally parked. I was trying to look up the parking enforcement number when they finally came out - not one word of apology.

too many inconsiderate rag bags on the water now for my liking.