for the lawnmower experts some opinions please

I need to buy a new mower on monday looking to spend around 400 bucks ,would really like a self propelled so far I have narrowed it down to a toro,john deere,lawnboy or cubcadet. Please if anyone has some first hand knowledge please pass it along.They all seem like good mowers not much between them.If there is another brand to consider please mention .thanks

Have used the cub cadet have used the lawn boy and now have a toro. they are all used a lot! the cub cadet is very loud. the lawn boy seemed to fall apart not motor wise but the handle and wheels and all that stuff. the deck actually cracked near the back wheel. and the toro is great so far. pretty solid. not as loud as the lawnboy or the cub cadet. i'd go with the toro personally.

I need to buy a new mower on monday looking to spend around 400 bucks ,would really like a self propelled so far I have narrowed it down to a toro,john deere,lawnboy or cubcadet. Please if anyone has some first hand knowledge please pass it along.They all seem like good mowers not much between them.If there is another brand to consider please mention .thanks

Have had a Tro for 15 years now, and is still going strong!!...Will defenately buy another when the time comes...Dan

I find the self propelled push mowers are too slow for me. I find myself trying to push them.

I have an old two stroke lawnboy at our cottage that is just a beast. Its by far the best mower I've ever used. The thing is unstoppable.

I, personally, like a light, easy to push mower the best. The bigger ones are just a waste of energy to push around IMO.

S.

Of all the lawnmowers we have owned, my wife says she preferred the Lawnboy the most. Hey, she cuts the grass while I go fishing, so the next lawnmower I get will definitely be another Lawnboy!

Edited by Ron

I find the self propelled push mowers are too slow for me. I find myself trying to push them.

I have an old two stroke lawnboy at our cottage that is just a beast. Its by far the best mower I've ever used. The thing is unstoppable.

I, personally, like a light, easy to push mower the best. The bigger ones are just a waste of energy to push around IMO.

S.

When I first got married my father in-law gave me a two stroke Lawnboy...do they still make these things...but anyways I have to laugh now, because I spent more time trying to get that thing started or stay running then it did to cut my lawn.... :wallbash:

Now I have a Toro self propelled mower and it's perfect in every way...as the wife doesn't mind doing the lawn while I'm out fishing... :thumbsup_anim:

Toro, Lawnboy or Honda. You can't beat them. My dad still has his 20 year old Lawnboy self propelled 5hp and it is going strong with no signs of stopping. An oil change every couple of years, cleaning the air filter and the original spark plug. My Lawnboy is about 15 odd years old and it has cut an obscene amount of grass and only in the last year or so has it started to leak oil out of the upper crank seal. Besides that, it works fine.

My parents have had a honda self powered one for about 15 years, and still starts on the first crank. I cheaped out and bought one on sale at CTC, I can't recall the brand but its red, and has a Briggs and Straton motor. Its a pita to start and is only a year old. I keep hinting to my parents that they should buy a new mower, in hopes they give me theres. :)

I have a 12 year old craftsman from Sears that has done me no wrong. Fires up first pull to this day. The key is annual maintenance, treat it right and it will treat you right. I am sure I'll get atleast another 5 year out of it.

I have a 12 year old craftsman from Sears that has done me no wrong. Fires up first pull to this day. The key is annual maintenance, treat it right and it will treat you right. I am sure I'll get atleast another 5 year out of it.

I have to disagree with you :sarcasm: as my 11 year old craftsman is still up and running fine. heck I changed the oil filter and plug at the end of the first season and now she has been going strong for 10 years with out a thing I might have added a bit of oil over the years and it sits outside all year snow rain or sun. I did buy a tune up kit this year and new blade but might re think about changing a thing as she is still going strong I did have to for the first time take out some emery cloth and clean the plug and wire after that fresh gas and we were in business.

I am no expert....I don't like to work one unless I can sit on it. But....I do believe that lawn mowers and motors for boats are next for the emissions test thingy....I believe 2012 is the magical year. Projections are that the price of lawn mowers will increase. Some people are back back to the old style of mowing with the Reel Mower - no noise, no pollution.

I,ve got a honda mower as well - bought it used about 20 years ago. With some minimal annual maintenance this thing has never let me down. I've had to replace a couple of wheels and the handle (cracked) but the motor starts all the time. I,ll never buy anything but a honda if this thing EVER quits - more likely the deck will rot away - but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon either !

thanks for all the replies .I went out today and bought a toro 3 in 1 self propelled.After one cut I like it. After talking to several people in the repair business the over whelming concensus was the Toro.

TORO TORO TORO

Hey wasn't that a movie years ago....and now it a lawn mower....go figure... :rofl2:

Good Luck with the new mower...I like mine also.

Bob

Judging by the brands that you listed.... your shopping at a big box store.

One thing you have to understand is the mowers you find at the big box stores are NOT built like the mowers everyone is talking about on here.

Your going to run into issues with parts and service..... because the retailer, is not the fixer...

My suggestion would be to up the budget a LITTLE more and head to a local specialized dealer. One that provides in house service and a parts DEPARTMENT.

Lawnboy is a GREAT brand.... my neighbour has had one for 20+ years.... 2 stroke... still running strong ( NOT WHAT YOU WILL FIND AT HOME DEPOT )

My grandfather has a Toro that starts first pull after a winter of sitting, Honda Engine..... approx 15 yrs old ( NOT WHAT YOU WILL FIND AT HOME DEPOT )

Like I said, if you can find a small engine dealer... a store that tends to the commercial cutters and lumber jacks.... you will have better luck finding a product built to last.

Oh ya, I work as a salesmen at John Deere.... but Im by no means an expert ;)

Just looking at Toros website....... If your budget allows for it ... Toro makes two models with the Honda Engine.

One with the ability to keep the engine running while shutting off the blade....$699.95

and one WITH OUT the ability ! hahah and its $649.95

Those prices were from a local dealer here in town .... I dont know where your from.... but if its near the GTA, I would assume they would be a little higher.

I know your about $250 over budget, but if it were me, I would dish out the extra bit of money in the name of Quality (Honda Engine)

Hopefully I helped a little.... if not, well Ill stop talking haha

MY TORO is sold at Home Depot for $299.99 (US funds) and it's GREAT...would buy another one tomorrow if need be....from what I have seen down here in the USA the engines are the same...with a bit difference in options...I got the one I got from Home Depot from a friend's recommendation because he has a landscaping business (cuts grass).. :rolleyes: