Small truck rear suspension question

I have a 2008 Ranger 4X4 and had the same problem as you. Talk to the fellow at the steering wheel and get him to order you a set of spring helpers. Costs around $60, and you can bolt them on in 10 minutes. They will beef up your cargo capacity and lift about .5-1 inch. Here's what they look like, I hope this helps...

HEL-550.jpg

I have a 2008 Ranger 4X4 and had the same problem as you. Talk to the fellow at the steering wheel and get him to order you a set of spring helpers. Costs around $60, and you can bolt them on in 10 minutes. They will beef up your cargo capacity and lift about .5-1 inch. Here's what they look like, I hope this helps...

HEL-550.jpg

Nice one! I'll visit the Steering Wheel this weekend.

Lip Ripper Is Bang on. Just need a helper.

That's pretty good for your first post.

Im just saying here Paul,but it,s not the way IMO. Go with a full assembled package.Adding something like this is just trouble. :canadian:

Im just saying here Paul,but it,s not the way IMO. Go with a full assembled package.Adding something like this is just trouble. canadian.gif

Hmm now I'm confused haha. I'll talk to HE Brown and the Steering Wheel to get their opinions on all these suggestions.

If you overload your truck, you'll have problems no matter what method you use. I have had these on for 2 years and haven't had any issues at all. I often have my ATV in the back of the truck and they have helped. It weighs around 600lbs. Whatever method you do end up with will help, I just found this method was the most cost effective and didn't affect my warranty (I called Stockfish).

Just curious, Rod caster, were you at the Nosbonsing M&G back in December?

. Talk to the fellow at the steering wheel and get him to order you a set of spring helpers. Costs around $60, and you can bolt them on in 10 minutes. They will beef up your cargo capacity and lift about .5-1 inch. Here's what they look like, I hope this helps...

HEL-550.jpg

Band aid solution if i've ever seen one :whistling:

You can check and see if they make shocks with coil springs over them, the used to.

Man, I had the name in my head and lost it.I know the ones you speak of. :wallbash:

Ah just came to me.Load levelers.Made by Monroes.Had them on the back of my 69 Corenet.

Edited by Misfish

If you overload your truck, you'll have problems no matter what method you use. I have had these on for 2 years and haven't had any issues at all. I often have my ATV in the back of the truck and they have helped. It weighs around 600lbs. Whatever method you do end up with will help, I just found this method was the most cost effective and didn't affect my warranty (I called Stockfish).

Just curious, Rod caster, were you at the Nosbonsing M&G back in December?

ya, I was there. you too?

I do like this option, as I won't be overloading the truck too much. If I needed more I could always add-on, or spend more.

I'll also look into adding a full leaf and the airbags... I'll get some info from the suppliers before I make a decision.

Thanks again to everyone

I'd second Randy's post with the Timbrins.

They only come into play when you add a load and don't affect normal ride.

I have installed several sets of those and they work well.

Airbags are also a good option but more expensive.

Adding a leaf will make it ride rough, especially unloaded.

Bernie is right too! :thumbsup_anim:

But ...Lip-ripper added something good too... Helper Springs do help as well. I also used to sell these.. not as many as the Timbrens though.

HELLWIG make a darned good set that doesn't "SLAP" easy to install

yourself.

HELLWIG # 550........ EZ-550Lb Capacity

HELLWIG # 990........ EZ-990-2000Lb Capacity

Forget about "The Steering Wheel" on Main E... really nice and knowledgeable guy.. but wants too much for his stuff.

Again, go see Rick at Benson by Burger World near Wal-Mart.

bring Hellwig # 550 .. instead of getting it at retail

81.76$... probably 74.99$

......Hellwig # 990 .. 117.72$ .... probably 94.99$

Tell Rick, Tony or John that , I sent ya. :thumbsup_anim:

Randy

:canadian:

Man, I had the name in my head and lost it.I know the ones you speak of. :wallbash:

Ah just came to me.Load levelers.Made by Monroes.Had them on the back of my 69 Corenet.

Monroe ,Sensa Trac Load Adjusters..

# 58608.... I can't give you a $ on these ... but I'd estimate 149.00/ Set.... = BIG TIME RIDE QUALITY SACRIFICE!

They do work well.. It'll turn your B-Series into a 1/2 Ton pretty quick.

Randy

:canadian:

Koni also makes a spring over shock.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

The problem adding a leaf is the truck is sagging with trailer weight.If you add a leaf it will

lift the front of the truck. losing up the steering.

Had the helper on my 87 for 670k never had no problem.Towed more in that one truck then all others combined.

Dad had a couple of sets on his truck from factory.

A friend put helper on his front leafs of his ford to help stop the wheel hop.

Air bladder is the way to go. If you are going to use them most of the time.To justify the cost.

If you have twin exust pipe you have to be careful. To get the pipe around the spare,the pipe will

sit to close to the air bladder. Rotting it faster from the heat.Found that out on my 76.

Spring over shocks have nothing to do with weight.There designed to help keep the wheels on the ground

under rough conditions.Had them on my 83.

But the rule is. If your truck does't sag from the weight of your boat.YOU NEED A BIGGER BOAT!!

Forgot one. Had helpers on the 72 courier.Towed a 14ft VooDoo with a 90 Stinger on the back.

Edited by Tybo

If your load in the back of the truck is consistant, go with a helper leaf spring. If you have variable loads on a daily basis, go with air bag system.

I had a 86 Ranger that always carried my carpentry tools during the week and fishing gear on the weekends. Added a leaf to beef up the suspension, it was great for work but like a bucket of bolts on the weekends.

My 2010 Tundra I went with the air bags and glad I did. I can level out every load quick and easy. FYI, I have a tandem dump trailer rated for 10,000 lbs and load varies one load to the next.

Cheers, Ron...