Water levels, Water levels and Water levels

Billy Bob

Went crappie fishing Wed and the water level at Chautauqua Lake was incredibly HIGH...so high I was basically launching my boat from the parking lot.....areas that I use to drift for walleyes in 11 FOW was now 16-17 feet deep...

Here's a couple of pics of the launch area...

ChautauquaLakeatFloodStage4-27-11002.jpg

ChautauquaLakeatFloodStage4-27-11003.jpg

Now I heard from my fishing partner that's also a outdoor writer that if we get anymore rain some of the Finger Lakes may be closed to boating....this happened a few years ago on Oneida Lake and I am planning on fishing the walleye opener there next Saturday.

So how are the water levels where you guys are.....water still down from last year or maybe now too much water like we have this year.

Bob

The big river is a bit high, but they usually control that by opening and closing gates just west of Montreal.After that big wind we got yesterday, the water looks more like chocolate milk than water.I have never seen waves as high as what i saw yesterday.The wind direction pushed the water along with the current, and lifted huge whitecaps off the top.

Some of the smaller tribs are quite high though.The Richilieu is 4-6 feet higher than normal and there is some flooding in lower areas.

Paul

Guest gbfisher

the levels may be up now but I know that georgian bay levels are back to their low...with a good east wind they reach 1964 levels ....on the east side ... :(

Went crappie fishing Wed and the water level at Chautauqua Lake was incredibly HIGH...so high I was basically launching my boat from the parking lot.....areas that I use to drift for walleyes in 11 FOW was now 16-17 feet deep...

Here's a couple of pics of the launch area...

ChautauquaLakeatFloodStage4-27-11002.jpg

ChautauquaLakeatFloodStage4-27-11003.jpg

Now I heard from my fishing partner that's also a outdoor writer that if we get anymore rain some of the Finger Lakes may be closed to boating....this happened a few years ago on Oneida Lake and I am planning on fishing the walleye opener there next Saturday.

So how are the water levels where you guys are.....water still down from last year or maybe now too much water like we have this year.

Bob

Good things its not any higher Bob - or else those bearings would be getting wetjerry.gif

No, just pickerel, but americans call them walleye.

Good things its not any higher Bob - or else those bearings would be getting wetjerry.gif

Now that's why I love this place... :clapping:

It is if you have property on a lake or river.....flood waters are responsible for more damage than anything else nature can throw at you.

Part of nature, it's not the water's fault it's ours for developing too close....Hope I never see that situation.