Canoe Sails

luv2drift

I am looking to outfit my canoe this year with some sort of canoe sail. Either store bought or

homemade. Any suggestions? Does anyone out there do this?

It needs to be light weight and easy to take down and put back up because of long

portages.

I am tired of paddling huge headwinds and would rather tack a lake than curse it.

The only time I see canoers on the lake, sailing, is directly downwind to save the paddle on the 14 mile long NE Arm. Usually two or three canoes together with the guys/gals in the bow holding up a tarp to pull them down the lake. Haven't seen anything for tacking up wind...but it might be out there. Don't see a canoe doing it with out flipping over though.

As IF says if you are on a downwind run you can use a simple sail rigged up on some poles/paddles.

Tacking into the wind would require some sort of dagger board type rig at the centre of the canoe to control side slip.

Do a search in google on Sailing Canoes.

redcanoe.jpg

IMHO it would be cheaper and maybe lighter to go with a motor as Whopper suggest.

A modern windsurf sail with camber inducers can point higher than the gaff rigged setup in Nemo's post. But, as the laker guy sez, you still need a daggerboard.

Someone took some photos on Opeongo's east arm last September, I think that rig had an outrigger.

How about a motor and a down wind sail!

If I went with a motor it would have to be less than 3 hsp. What would you guys go with

a electric trolling motor and rig up a a solar charger for canadian tire? or a 2 hsp 4stroke honda???

suggestions?

The sail...would I still need a daggerboard if the mast wast a really small trianglur version?

A downwind sail sounds easy enough I would just like the option to catcha bit more of a cross wind.

I would think the battery and charger would be as heavy (and cumbersome) as a 2.5 hp gas motor ... also my experience with the solar chargers has been disappointing at best .... you really need a big panel to get enough charge into the battery to run a trolling motor .. and unfortunately the time that you're most likely to have the battery charging is at night .. when there is no sun :)

IMHO electric into the wind = fast drain .. little progress ... electric with the wind = extra weight for nothing on the portage ...

Now ... tell me you want the electric for trolling I say GO FOR IT .... especially if you have dockside charging capability ... but I would like to hear from someone who has actually done this and 'liked' it.