When a river is not listed in the regs ?

splashhopper

There is a respectable sized river in zone 16 that is not listed at all in the regs.

The water sure looks tempting.

But, I just don;t know if it is open or closed.

Can we fish it, while following the seasons for the targeted species?

Edited by splashhopper

I would think you could follow the zone Reg's, but I'd send the MNR an E-mail, I was surprised at how quick I got a reply last year from the local C.O., just a thought, we should get out this spring once the bites on, come on Pike

SBK

For sure Richard....

email sent to MNR too

thanks

Edited by splashhopper

There is a respectable sized river in zone 16 that is not listed at all in the regs.

The water sure looks tempting.

But, I just don;t know if it is open or closed.

Can we fish it, while following the seasons for the targeted species?

I would say yes....as long as it isn't in the special "exceptions area" of the regs it should be fair game. Zone 16 says fish x is open April 1 - Sept 30 and that river falls in that zone...I say go casting and good luck.

I would say yes....as long as it isn't in the special "exceptions area" of the regs it should be fair game. Zone 16 says fish x is open April 1 - Sept 30 and that river falls in that zone...I say go casting and good luck.

Thanks for the gut feel... I have sent an email to the MNR so I don;t get a fine though ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got an answer from the MNR on this topic: Hello Ron,

Thank you for your enquiry. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

In specified waters (those listed in the regulations summary), there are exceptions to the general regulations established for each Zone. These include fish sanctuaries, bait and gear restrictions and different seasons, limits and size limits for some species. Anglers must check the exceptions for the waters where they will be fishing.

NOTE: Some waters are grouped with other waters that have the same regulatory exceptions and these will generally be listed under the proper name for the largest or most significant water body.

If there is nothing stated in the exceptions, then the regulations for the Zone apply. 

We hope you find this information helpful. If you require further assistance, please contact the Natural Resources Information Centre at

1-800-667-1940.

Regards,

nric web reader - rb

Natural Resources Information Centre

PO Box 7000

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5

1-800-667-1940TTY:

1-866-686-6072Fax:

[email protected]://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

No where in the regs book does it clarify this.

If I am mistaken, please "copy and paste" what I missed when i tried to find it.

Now we all have it in print right from the ministry's mouth. ( at least from the CO/administrator that answered it :dunno: )

Edited by splashhopper

Page 2 in "How to use this summary". This outlines how to use it. Under the heading "Then you must",

7. Check the exceptions to the general zone regulations for the

waters or general area in which you will be fishing.

• If there are any exceptions to the general rule for the Zone,

you must comply with those exceptions

So if there are no exceptions to the general zone regulations for that body of water don't use any and stick with the general zone regulations.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198218.pdf

Page 2 in "How to use this summary". This outlines how to use it. Under the heading "Then you must",

So if there are no exceptions to the general zone regulations for that body of water don't use any and stick with the general zone regulations.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198218.pdf

Did a lawyer write that< or do i need another java to understand that?

http://www.mnr.gov.o...ment/198218.pdf

Pretty much what I've read in the regs for 40 plus years.

If a woman wrote the rule, the rule, and exceptions to the rule, may be changed at any time.

That's why there is an adjustment strap on my leash. But then again, if it was not for my old lady I would have lost teeth on the tires of passing cars. :-p