Muskie Rod Question

mattyk

Hello there muskie pros

there is a store by my place that is having a clearance sale on muskie rods. They only got two left. Im not sure if its a good deal and what type of an applicaiton would i use it for.

St Croix Priemer 6'6 Medium/Heavy fast action rated for 3/4 to 3 ounces $99.00 USD

St Croix Avid 6'6 Medium/Heavy fast action rated for 3/4 to 3 ounces $169 USD

I usually like to cast big spinner baits, bucktails, and suciks. Would this rod be a good choice?

St Croix Priemer 6'6 Medium/Heavy fast action rated for 3/4 to 3 ounces $99.00 USD

St Croix Avid 6'6 Medium/Heavy fast action rated for 3/4 to 3 ounces $169 USD

I usually like to cast big spinner baits, bucktails, and suciks. Would this rod be a good choice?

Sup! For what you intend to use the rod for I have to say no. Big Spinners and bucktails - you can get away with a 6'6" (I'd go with a 7' -8') and maybe even the med-heavy but will want a heavy - extra heavy action as med-heavy will be to flimbsy (sp?). Suicks - I think 6' - 7' is perfect size for throwing suicks but you most definately want at least a heavy action here.

this is just my 2 cents, so do what ya gotta do but a deal ain't a deal unless you can use that deal for your needs right :blink:

Mattyk, that 6' 6" Premier medium heavy is the exact rod I use for jerkbaits and it works well for me, but the length that'll work best for you is something you'll need to figure out for your self.

If it's too long you'll be hitting the water with the rod tip when your working the bait. Depends on your height and the boat decks distance from the water.

For the spinner baits and bucktails, you'll find a longer rod will give you better casting distance. Myself, I like 7'6 medium heavy, but again, your the one that needs to figure what works best for yourself.

If you don't find a St. Croix in your price range, have a look at the Compres or Maina rods.

Their both excellent but a few $$$$ cheaper.

the St Croix Premier 7'6" Med-Heavy gives you a bit more length, and in my opinion is a good all-around rod for various Musky fishing applications.

The added length will help when casting and also allow you to get deeper and wider figure-8's/L-Turns.

My $.02 :)

Tony

Matt, this is where things start to get expensive :( You'll find that one rod is not always good for different applications and you need different ones for different jobs.

$99 is a good price for that 6' 6" Premier and it'll work well as a jerkbait rod, so seeing as the musky season is winding down, why not buy it now, then put a few $$$$ away thru the winter, and get yerself the 7" 6" for next season ??

Course then you'll hafta buy another reel, but that's what makes fish'n so much fun.....playing catch-up :P

Hey Lew

I do want to get the rod. The problem is convincing my wife why i need another fishing rod. Thats always hard to do, espcially since i have eight of them. I try to explain that each rod has a different application and i try to make the analogy to differnt types of women shoes or purses. Maybe she will agree.

I think Lew is right on, you will need at least two different rods anyway. You could wait even longer and pick up a couple on boxing day or during the winter and find even better deals on rods, or ask the dealer/retailer for the same price on the 7'6" you never know.

Mattyk rods are a very personal thing. The guys are steering you in the right direction, there are different rods for different applications. Fast tapers are all the thing right now. Personally, they don't work well for me, I prefer a more progressive taper. My latest casting rod, I do jerkbaits %90 of the time, is an 8 footer sold by Pete Maina"s outfit. It is best jerkbait rod I have ever used. Most jerkbaiters use a vertical motion, I use a horizontal retrieve for which the longer more progressive rod is ideal. Before investing a large sum in an unknown I would suggest you try some of your fellow musky fishermen rods and see which one fits you best. Another advantage of the long rod is figure 8ing. I have seen Dr. Gene Smith from Ky bury his rod up to the reel working a fish on a figure 8. He worked the fish for about 2 min before it hit--one of the most exciting hits I have ever seen.

:santa:Buy the $99.00 rod.It will be a good rod to start with.U it a while and then decide what you want next. You will need at least three rods to fish the many styles of musky baits but this rod will get you started and is of very good quality.It will last for ever.musky fishing is a very expensive sport so be ready to sheel out some bucks if you are going to persue it. Good fishing.

Hey Lew

I do want to get the rod. The problem is convincing my wife why i need another fishing rod. Thats always hard to do, espcially since i have eight of them. I try to explain that each rod has a different application and i try to make the analogy to differnt types of women shoes or purses. Maybe she will agree.

LOL...lemme know if the arguement about shoes and purses works....just wear a helmet when you explain it.

I feel a sitcom episode coming.... :D

If you want a cheap as well as a good rod then check out the bass pro shops rods that they have for $40. They have a heavy action rod that I use for muskie fishing and I have no complaints. It works well for large spinnerbaits and bucktails but might be alittle to light for suiks or other jerk baits. Thats just my opinion if your like me and don't have alot of pocket cash.

Cheers Jeff

The Shimano Compre rods come with an across the counter, lifetime warranty and cost 1/2 the price of the Avid

I use them all for muskies, Avids, Premiers, Compres and Maina rods and can honestly say, IMHO, while the Avid is a nice rod, I can't see where it's nessesary to spend the extra $$$$ on one for throwing large baits where sensitivity is not an isssue.

This year I added both a new 7' 6" Premier and 7' 6" Compre to my boat and am so pleased with both of them that I'd never spend the extra $$$$ for an Avid again, but that's just my opinion.

And premiers have a 5 year warranty not one year as stated.

I stand corrected.

Anyhow, I was just giving my opinion based on the 2 rods he listed. I've never used a Maina or a Compre but there's no doubt Lew knows what he's talking about.

Good luck choosing a new Musky Rod.