stopping the reaction from soft baits

jimmer

A friend of mine was saying that he put a large soft plastic bait in with his swimwizz baits by accident. It sat there over the winter and has made the swimwizz a sticky mess. Is there any way to stop the reaction between the two plastics so he can salvage the swimwizz baits?

Thanks,

I'm not really sure there is away to stop this from happening? I've never heard, nor come across any info in relation to this topic.

I think diligence and keeping the baits separated may be the only choice??

That being said, try to keep anything oil based away from plastics. At least in my experience, this damages soft baits very quickly. I few years back I had some lubricant leak into a plastic bag I had some chartuesse grubs in. I think it was an old WD-40 bottle, can't recall. But it bled the yellow color all over, and I could squish the grubs into a paste, almost like melted gummy worms.

Nowadays I keep all my soft baits, scented/salted or not, in zip lock bags, and I never have any issues

I would try a bit of nail polish remover....I always steal some from the wife when I have to wipe adhesive off of stuff....like when you peel the sticker off a new tackle box tray and need to remove the evidence whistling.gif

I love the "shut the barn door" approach. :wallbash:

I wish I could offer some useful advise. :dunno:

I would try a bit of nail polish remover....I always steal some from the wife when I have to wipe adhesive off of stuff....like when you peel the sticker off a new tackle box tray and need to remove the evidence whistling.gif

It's always a good idea to keep a few things with the plastic wrap on (or even in the stores bag) so secretive purchases can be disguised. B)

I see many people with plano boxes filled with thier soft plastics: tubes, senkos, beaver-baits, etc

none of them have ever complained about them "melting"

Am I missing something here?

Years ago , tackle boxes and storage boxes that were labelled "worm proof" so that the plastics would not affect them. These boxes were made of a different plastic formula and the soft baits(worms/grubs/tubes) did not affect them. I think that most tackle boxes now are made with that "worm proof" formula.

muddler

I see many people with plano boxes filled with thier soft plastics: tubes, senkos, beaver-baits, etc

I found that only a few brands 'melted' in the box but only after is was used. Even if it went back dry they would do this. I think the one that was bad for this was a strikeking shad bait. it killed (sort of) a worm proof box for some reason. If you have the silasacks (SP?) that come in some items I would make sure you use them in the plano (or other brand) case. I even went so far as to put garlic salt in the box for sent and moisture collection. That worked for all my other soft plastics but didn't save the other ones that started to melt.

oh and if you drop one in your softcase (not plano type tray) no matter what brand (well that I have tried) it will melt into the plastic base of the soft case.

My example was the rubber bottom (floor) of my tackle bag.

Try it on the 'wizzes.

Wayne we should all be be careful with what we put on our wizzer.

It was the reaction between the soft bait and the lure (plastic). The chemicals used to make the various baits must have been non-compatible.

Been there done that, only once. I have a 8 inch red and white believer that somehow came in contact with some plastics. The plastic in the believer got these protruding dime size boils on it and I thought it was done. It seems to catch more Northerns now then it ever did. Maybe cause it looks so sick.