DOWNSIZING

WAS IN THE GARAGE DUSTIN OFF THE BASS GEAR AND GOIN THREW TACKLE.

BEIN PRETTY NEW TO THE BASS SCENE WAS WONDERIN WHAT SOME OF YOU MORE EXPERIENCED GUYS THINK.

WOULD DOWNSIZING FROM 5" TUBES TO 4" TUBES REALLY MAKE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE BESIDES ATTRACTING SMALLER FISH???

The first time I ever used tubes they were 2 1/2 inch Phenix salted tubes (Smoke colored)...The bass thought they were candy that day...4 x 5lb and 1 x 4 lb...all smallies...I haven't had as much luck with the larger ones...Probably a confidence thing...canadian.gif

Scott, you are more then welcome to have a bag of 'smaller' tubes if you want (free) to test this out. it's the good old 'match the hatch' theory. if the lake you are fishing has jumbo craw's then you need a big tube and it they are onlt 2 to 2.5" then you use that size. I don't use tubes any more as there are other fish in the lake that I'm after... :whistling:

Scott, you are more then welcome to have a bag of 'smaller' tubes if you want (free) to test this out. it's the good old 'match the hatch' theory. if the lake you are fishing has jumbo craw's then you need a big tube and it they are onlt 2 to 2.5" then you use that size. I don't use tubes any more as there are other fish in the lake that I'm after... :whistling:

When I find them, you can have them if you want. I think I left them at my folks place... :unsure:

Out on erie....i use more goby plastics than tubes......but i can tell you at least in my personal experience, that the bigger the goby, the bigger the smallmouth. Seems to be the trend for me anyway.

umKthxbye.....below is your upper case to lower case translation so you can read coppers threads in the future. This should have been taught at some point in grammar school. :rolleyes:

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz.

3.5 - 4inch tubes are the standard for Smallies. However I do use 5 inch for smallies too in the thick stuff or stained water. Trouble is finding a tube hook for open rigging that will allow you to fish the 5inch properly. I mostly texpose rig the 5inch with a 4/0 or 5/0 wide gap.

4inch tubes can be used for Largies, but I feel more in a fineese or clear water situation. Guys would pound the docks or pads with bigger baits and we would follow with a smaller tube and sometimes get them to go.

To answer your question, sure big fish will eat a 4inch tube, but so will dinks, moreso then a bigger profile bait.

Cheers.

Edited by Harrison

umKthxbye.....below is your upper case to lower case translation so you can read coppers threads in the future. This should have been taught at some point in grammar school. :rolleyes:

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz.

I can read it just fine thanks.

Its just anoying. Makes it look like he is screaming at everyone all the time.

They are also used to drive a point an emphasize. I feel it really unneeded. Ill just not read anything posted by this person anymore and i wont be annoyed anymore.

I fished for L/M and S/M, I probably still have about 800 tubes around here, but probably only a couple dozen over 4 inch. If the bite was tough but I felt the area was holding fish? Bust out the spinning rod and work it with 2 inch crappie tubes.

Bass aren`t always aggressively feeding, sometimes they will take a snack. I did make my own tube jigheads and altered molds for crappie tube jigheads to take a larger stronger hook.

I will have to look Phil, as I recall the molds called for a size 6 hook? I opened things up to take a 1-1/0 on the drill press with an end cutter. As I recall I have 1/16th and 1/8th.

Another consideration, a lot of fishing pressure on the lakes here, some times throwing what everyone else is just isn`t a good plan? If you are the 50th guy to pitch a jig and pig to a dock or stump in a couple of hours the fish might just not show an interest.