Question ?

Afraz

Hey Guys,

I was wondering, for those that live in southern Ontario. How does this work ?

I went to scope out the glen and rouge campground area to see what was up. I noticed a few folks fishing north of the 401 (and old kingston rd/bridge) i approached them and aske dthem what they were fishing for. None of them replied and ignored me (which P.O'ed me). So i decided to take a walk further down and met a few fellow anglers from years past trout fishing.

I confirmed with them that fishing north of the 401 was forbidden until the seasoned open 4th weekend in April.

Anyway, now them folks were using pickerel rigs and had setups that appeared to be targeting suckers (pickerel rigs and float setups with night crawlers).

But because they were fishing north of the 401 i still called em in. Now are you legally allowed to fish for any species other then trout north of the 401 ?

Or is it closed regardless of what you are targeting until trout opens ?

Confused confused.gif

Also, i always thought you had to fish south of the C.N tracks not the 401. But apparently i was wrong. All along i could have been doing well at the marsh instead of wasting my time at the mouth lol.

Thanks

Afraz

What does the reg say?

"No fishing north of the 401" seems pretty clear, no fishing means no fishing!

"No fishing for XYZ species north of the 401" again seems pretty clear,no fishing for XYZ species!

Sounds pretty clear to me too.

Rainbow trout, Brown trout and Pacific salmon open all year

Rouge River - City of Toronto between Hwy. 2 and Lake Ontario.

Highland Creek - City of Toronto from the downstream edge of the Hwy. 2 (Kingston Road) bridge to Lake Ontario.

2011 regulations for Zone 16, under the heading 'Rainbow trout, Brown trout, and Pacific salmon open all year' (page 80), says 'Rouge River - City of Toronto between Hwy. 2 and Lake Ontario'. So the upper limit is not the 401 but Kingston Rd., a wee bit further north. It does not specify the north or south side of the Hwy. 2 bridge. Glen Rouge campground is still north of that, so if they were targeting or keeping those species I would say they were breaking the law. But I can't find anything that says suckers, or other species not covered by the regulations, are off limits to fishing. The Rouge River is not mentioned in 'Exceptions to Zone 16 Regulations', pages 80 to 83.

Great replies guys,

So is it then safe to assume that south of the 401 or Hwy 2 (unti it ends) is the case as you go further east?

So why is it at port hope you have to fish south of the C.N tracks ?

Gosh i need to pick up a revised regs book, the one i have is a bit old -_- and they didn't mail me one even though i sent an email to the M.N.R...

Will canadian tire carry em ?

So is it then safe to assume that south of the 401 or Hwy 2 (unti it ends) is the case as you go further east?

No, you have to check the reg's for the river that you plan to fish.

So why is it at port hope you have to fish south of the C.N tracks ?

Because those are the reg's for that river. They problably use highway 2 for the Rouge because the tracks are about 50 yards from the lake.

No, you have to check the reg's for the river that you plan to fish.

Because those are the reg's for that river. They problably use highway 2 for the Rouge because the tracks are about 50 yards from the lake.

Bingo, We have a winner! Hold your cards.