Bon Echo Provincial park

msp

The wife booked a camping trip to Bon Echo Provincial park for mid August. I think its on Mazinaw Lake north of Kingston. Anybody been there ? How was your experience ? Was also wondering about the fishing. I will do a bit more research but I thought I would check here first.

I was there once when I was about 19. Got hammered, and out of control I guess, cause they kicked me out :w00t:

Beauty spot, but the fishing sucked then. Good place for the kids, nice swimming, and good hiking trails.

S.

We go there every year and it is beautiful but my experience fishing was lousy since the lake is so deep. It's nice to have your own boat though, otherwise you'd have to rent canoes or kayaks. Also, there's a pontoon boat ferry you have to pay for to get the other side to climb a trail up the mountain to a spectacular lookout.

They have good boat launches and many sandy areas to beach the boat with no motor size restrictions. We have more fun tubing and waterskiing as opposed to fishing. I heard people go to Skootamata lake nearby for fishing. Also, you can drive to, then hike down about a 1KM trail to Joeperry lake where they have canoes there for rent(this is part of the Bon Echo Provincial Park). You pay at the main park and just take one down on the other lake. We caugh a couple of nice Pike there last year. This lake is where you can camp at the canoe in sites.

I found the easiest and fastest drive was via the 401 to Napanee, then north to the park. Highway 7 is 2 lane all the way and has many small towns you have to sow down through not to mention getting stuck behind traffic you're unable to pass.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Go to Smarts marina at the south end of the lake you will drive by it to get to the park, they will have a lake map which will be a good starting point, the north end is the deepest part of the lake, and just out from the paintings on the cliffs is over 500ft, the is good smallie fishing, thru the gap on the north side and on the south west shore line, and on the south side, just north of the marina(smarts) their is a sandbar, that drops off into deeper water, with smallies, and big walleye at night, also the west shoreline on the south side is worth a look as well for smallies and walleyes, also caught lakers their as well, about 10 to 15 ft deeper than the walleyes, in 40ft of water, walleyes were 20 to 25ft, it will change each year as we have camped there 5 times and fishing can be tough if its a typical warm August, the best part is smarts ice cream, and the bald rock on the north side of the gap, with the double-breasted bed thrashers on it topless of course, theve been their 4 out of 5 times, so your odds are in your favor.whistling.gif

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35260&st=0&p=374284&hl=bon%20echo&fromsearch=1entry374284

Check out my post back in 2009

I've only heard people catching Lake Trout downrigging from the Bon Echo main lake.

Skootamata Lake was indeed a great lake to fish, lots of big and very dark smallies!