Picked up some new toys at JBs yesterday

Whitemikeca

I guess I should introduce myself since I haven't posted to this forum since last summer. My name is Mike and I am a CA from Toronto. I just got back into fishing last summer. As a child I lived in the Peterborough area and I used to fish practically everyday but when I moved to T.O. I stopped fishing. Last year I started back up again and I mostly rented boats and fished the Kawarthas for bass and muskie. I posted a couple of reports of these trips on the old forum. Once I put my rods away for winter I just couldn't shake the urge to go fishing. So a couple of months ago I puchased a decent used boat(15ft and 50hp) so I wouldn't have to rent this summer. I figured it was also time for some nicer equipment so yesterday I went to JB's and grabbed the following.

New_gear.jpg

A Calais 200 for bass and a Calcutta TE 300 for muskie. Now I just have to somehow find a way to pass the time until the Tri-lakes opens up for the season. I will probably head down to the island tomorrow to test out my new gear so hopefully I can post a report for you guys.

Edited by Whitemikeca

Yeah I can't wait to try them out. I have a question about oiling the reels. I have some quantum "hot sauce" oil that I bought for my old baitcaster. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is better that the standard oil that comes with the Shimano reels?

Oil that comes with Calcutta will last longer than Hot Sauce. However, Hot Sauce is more viscous. For heavier lures: stay with the Shimano oil.

BTW Nice reels: (I have a Conquest 201 DC: absolutely incredible reel) and a Conquest 51 that I added ZIP ABEC 7 bearings (my favourite for pitching light lures): 2 of my favourite reels.

Well, I braved it down to the waterfront today. Unfortunately I had no luck. It was too cold and windy. Both reels felt really good. The Calcutta was really smooth and I was able to cast heavy bucktails and crankbaits extremely far. The Calais is a monster. I couldn't believe the distance I could cast with it. Unfortunately it got a little windy so I had to turn on 4 of the VBS brakes. Its going to take a little while to get used to the free spool speed of the Calais as I am used to casting with my old Citica 200. The fishing and the weather sucked but I was still worth it to try out the new gear.

Thanks for the tips re the oil. I will stick with the stock Shimano oil for now.

Its funny that you say that Golfisher because right now I am logged into my office VPN trying to get some work done. Luckily for me I am in the audit division and not tax so while I am still busy, I am not 80+ hours per week busy.

Edited by Whitemikeca