CANADIAN SPORTFISHING

darsky

Was watching Italo the other day and up came the "fishing in your own backyard" segment with a cute little girl with her pink FISHER GIRL tshirt on. He was talking about using frogs as bait. Goes on to explain how to rig the frog. Single hook through the lip he says. Then he shows a different method by actually hooking the frog through the leg and tosses it out to the lake with the girl looking on. Now this is my opinion only but I think the whole thing was a little morbid. Little boys and girls should play with frogs and not hook them through the chin or leg. I think he or the shows producers should have shown better judgment.

I think that's great, kids need to understand the food web!

Too many kids these days think that fish come from a box in the freezer section at the grocery store. More people need to understand the ecological connection the environment has to our food sources.

i grew up catching frogs as im sure most, if not all, of you did, and i just cant bring myself to use them....ive done just as well with the many imitations out there.

but i dont hate on those that use them

EDIT: my fiancee loves the fishergirl stuff...if its not pink its not fishing to her haha

Edited by ranksda58

From a young kid to the age of 14 or 15 I always used frogs for bait, never bothered me 1 bit. I always rathered a bag of frog's than a dozen minnows or worms...back then we could buy them and catching them was simple in the right location....The fishergirl parts on his show are alright, they show the kids some good stuff...

I used to use frogs all the time. They definitely work, but watching them struggle to pull the hook out of their lips is terrible.

I disagree about them being similar to worms (hardly has a brain) and minnows (no sense of sentient pain). Frogs are far more complex.

Some of my best memories as a child come from spending hours catching leopard frogs for bait.

Well, that and crayfish. :)

That was always a big part of our annual trip up north to the cottage.

I think I had more fun catching them, and boy did they work. :)

I'm hoping to show the art of catching and fishing frogs both of my kids. (if my back can take it :) ).

As far as Italo goes, I don't have much use for him or his show.

Little boys and girls should play with frogs and not hook them through the chin or leg. I think he or the shows producers should have shown better judgment.

I agree! It shows how perceptions have changed over the last 30 yrs. or so.

Used to be able to buy them at bait shops. Not sure if they are still available.

Caught a lot of bass with father as a kid using them.

There surely is a difference between frogs and worms.

Worms don't try to pull hook out with their little hands.

Frogs are an excellent bait though.

Italo etc... should have used better judgment.

grew up catchin frogs for my father and i .as i became older i did notice a decline in frogs .happy to say that the general poppulation is back and strong. having said that i still use them verry selectivly(if its verry slow or you know theirs a lunker around) although i did catch an 8 pound largmouth fishing for pike using 7 inch suckers (no piture but i do have a witnes . live frogs are buy far the best but it like catch and release use your head. i did let the bass go.

Thats funny because from the age of 9 to the time when you couldnt get them anymore i had always used frogs. The crazy thing is that i liked to play with them and thought it was a blast to go out and catch em, but make no mistake i didnt hesitate putting them on the hook. Is there anything better for large mouth. Who needs italo to show you anyway, my grandmother of 82 showed me how to put em on the hook. If i were heading up to the cottage on north baptiste she would always phone me up before i left and say " hey can you pick me up 6 dozen frogs at stones on your way up " The good ole days. Shes still around and still loves bass.

I sense a little danger in what I'm about to say smile.gif

"Showing" better judgement....

aka editting the show so as to appease those that might get offended at the thought/sight of a frog on a hook is not only the wrong thing to do imo.

Its a little hypocritical..

To Whit.

Some are saying/suggesting the show went too far because the poor little frog struggles to free the hook and kids shouldnt see that.

Yet it's perfectly ok to bury hooks into fish, (once they take the bait) haul them through slop, or fight them out to near exhaustion in some cases.

Remove said hooks buried in their mouths, give them a tender pat on the back, take a pic , all for no other real reason than our own personal 2 or 10 minutes of gratification.

Then release them so someone else can do the same to them tomorrow?

aka we don't want kids or the public to see us torturing frogs, it sends the wrong message

but we do want our kids to see/learn how to torture fish so they to can enjoy it wink.gif

Just food for thought.

/edit add

Anyone think this Bow isnt struggling to free the hook?

p245608561-5.jpg

Edited by JBen

I sense a little danger in what I'm about to say smile.gif

"Showing" better judgement....

aka editting the show so as to appease those that might get offended at the thought/sight of a frog on a hook is not only the wrong thing to do imo.

Its a little hypocritical..

To Whit.

Some are saying/suggesting the show went too far because the poor little frog struggles to free the hook and kids shouldnt see that.

Yet it's perfectly ok to bury hooks into fish, (once they take the bait) haul them through slop, or fight them out to near exhaustion in some cases.

Remove said hooks buried in their mouths, give them a tender pat on the back, take a pic , all for no other real reason than our own personal 2 or 10 minutes of gratification.

Then release them so someone else can do the same to them tomorrow?

aka we don't want kids or the public to see us torturing frogs, it sends the wrong message

but we do want our kids to see/learn how to torture fish ;)

Just food for thought.

Brain and nervous structure is completely different. Fish don't feel/experience/have-an-emotion from pain the way we do. Frogs kind of do.

To be clear - i used them all the time, so not saying all you frog-using guys are evil. Just saying its different to hook a minnow (or musky) and a frog.