Nice big lakers and a heap of whitefish today

limeyangler

Hi All,

Went out with my buddy Clint today for lakers and whities. Clint landed 3 beauties, first one was a pig...the next two were nice too. I lost 2 at the hole....was not my day for trout, however I had better luck with the whitefish, must have caught 20 today and kept 8. Clint got 2 whities too and a ling, I lost a ling getting tangled in everything and anything that could get tangled in my line.

We got a few double headers, some good laughs and supper thrown in to the equation. We both felt the trout were too nice to keep so back they went.

It was another brutally cold day, -17C with 22kmh winds. No slush whatsoever on the lake though :thumbsup_anim:

Lakers all fell for white 4" tube jigs tipped with minnow chunk, as did a few of the feisty whities. Definitely 2 types of whitefish down there...the biters and the window shoppers. You could be trying to tease one or 2 at the same time for 5 or minutes when another would just scream past the undecided ones and hammer it. Acme kastmaster started the day as the hot whitie lure, and then a 1/12" LPT tube jig did the damage.

Fishing in about 40'FOW, a couple large trout came in to look that were suspended otherwise they were all hugging the bottom, but not shy of racing up 20' to check out a bait.

Here's the Pics and Vids.

ALL THE TROUT LANDED WENT TO CLINT

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mO9a2ue6XZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A FEW PICS OF CLINT'S LAKERS TODAY

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

I HAD TO SETLLE FOR 2 LOST TROUT AND A WHOLE HEAP OF WHITEFISH.....NO COMPLAINTS HERE.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VET5t7qq7aE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_1899.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, the fish in this lake are well fed, its packed full of smelt and it does not get a lot of pressure. Only one cmp on it and it caters mainly to Americans after trophy pike and smallmouth. The smelt in this lake is unreal, somedays you can be fishing in 60-70'FOW and the smelt will block out your screen top to bottom....i'm not exaggerating either. In fact sometimes my poor little X67c is useless as there is so much smelt it renders it useless....too much signal.

I was reading the website for the lodge on this lake and interestingly the lake was 'stocked' legally with smelt a few years back. I thought this was an odd thing to do as smelt are considered a damaging invasive species in this area and others, and the regs say you cannot posess them alive or dead let alone transport them anywhere.....oh well...seems to have done the trick in this lake...the girth on the fish is certainly evident of that.

Team 8 could use some of those whities.... hand em over! whistling.gif

Nice outing ... nice fish...

Your gonna need more than a few whitefish buddy :whistling:

Looks familiar! Nice job on the whities and trout guys. I'll be back there this week - sled is finally fixed :)

Great news Ben. The lake was slush free, looks like it had been nasty out there in the week or so before. The spot where i was with you is hard packed snow.....wind must have blown the area hclear as the snow was less than a foot deep.

Another beauty report...love those videos....keep them coming... :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Thanks Icefisherman....i will tell my wife i have to go fishing now....dont wanna let anyone down not posting more vids now eh? :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: