NF - Natural Gas hook-up for BBQ

fishdawg

Sorry for NF post

Our current house in which moved into last fall has a natural gas line hook-up on or patio for the BBQ.

I am just curious as to how much does it normally cost to get the "adapter" & is there much to doing it yourself?

Any "cons" to this at all? I like the idea of never having a tank go empty on ya in the middle of cooking for guests & such.

Thanks in advance for opinions/suggestions. Much appreciated.

I believe the cost differential will be determined by the manufacturer of your BBQ. It's definately worth doing, but I won't be able to tell you how to do it! One thing to keep in mind, I believe that propane burns hotter than natural gas, so keep that in mind during the heat up period.

HH

Make sure what ever pricing you get , that it includes the brass coupler that goes between the house NG line and the line to the BBQ.

When I moved a # of years ago I disconnected the BBQ and forgot the fitting. Cost $75 to get a new one.

I'm not sure what has changed in the last 15 years but I used to work for a fireplace store in Belleville. We sold everything from woodstoves to gas BBQs. The old regs. required and licensed gas installer to hook up a natural gas BBQ. Once installed a tag was placed on the connection to ensure it was installed properly. You might want to contact your gas company to see what they say. It may sound like a lot to go through for a BBQ but if it is the same way as it used to be, then if something happened to go wrong your insurance company may not cover it. I know I couldn't pay to have my house rebuilt out of my own pocket.

is there much to doing it yourself?

Any "cons" to this at all?

Blowing up

FD, you may be further ahead to sell your propane BBQ and buy a brand new Natural Gas one. By the time you find the components to change the propane one to NG and buy the disconnect for the gas line, it may be about the same costs.

Also, alot of propane BBQ's are not certified to be converted (Fiesta is one ). If you do and there was ever a problem (fire, explosion) you would have some big problems with your house insurance.

You will love the convenience of the gas BBQ, nothing worse than running out of propane when the steak is half cooked.

I am not suggesting you do this but I hooked my propane BBQ to NG when I lived in Milton (Many years ago). All I had to do was drill out the orfices for the burners to a larger size ( a friend who was in the gas appliance business told me how to do it.) Talk to someone who KNOWS how to do it if you are going to try. As others have suggested though the best bet would be to buy a NG BBQ.

Although I'm not licensed anymore for gas fitting, I have that ability to do the job myself. But I wouldn't change my bbq to natural gas. The savings are minimal at best and you lose the portability of your grill. Buy a second tank and have it filled and ready for when you run out.

thanks all for the responses - i posted this to get this kind of feedback

Dan - your response i think will win. I completely overlooked that I would no longer be able to lend my grill out to someone else if it was needed, like we previously have.

thanks OFC

First eat a dairy queen burger and if you like the taste then go ahead and hook up your NG to that there BBQ of yours but if not save the money and have a buger without the gas taste. .....

I have always found that NG really makes the food taste REal funny. I thik its because a scent is added to it (sulpher) so it can be easily detected with the nose.I think that comes out when you BBQ with it.

Here are my four cents...

One - propane and NG have the same chemical added to create the smell. This smell is not natural but added so if there is a leak the person can smell it. Therefore if the NG creates a bad taste, so does the propane.

Two - NG burns cooler, but an NG BBQ burns at the same temps as propane (hence the bigger orifices).

Three - keep your old BBQ for lending.

And finally, get a new NG BBQ - running off a gas line is awesome. Its cheaper, more convenient and no better excuse to get a new rig.