Man Dead, Second Man Hospitalized Following Shooting At Grew Boats

craigdritchie

This may be of interest to owners of Grew or Cutter boats. I saw Dave Cameron at the Hamilton Boat Show last weekend. Scary stuff. This is copied and pasted from the web .......

One man is dead and another hospitalized following a Monday night shooting incident at the Grew Boats Manufacturing plant near Rockford, Ontario. The Markdale Standard newspaper reports that the dead man is believed to be David Cameron, owner of Grew Boats.

Police have released little information about the incident, which is under investigation by the province’s Special Investigation Unit. What is known is that the Grey County detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a reported shooting at the Grew Boats plant before 8 pm, and found a 44-year-old employee suffering from a gunshot wound. The man, who has not been identified by police, is expected to survive.

As police attempted to secure the property, a pickup truck is said to have abruptly exited the premises and drove past the police before driving over a spike belt and being stopped on Taylor Side Road in Georgian Bluffs Township. At approximately 9:50 pm, the male driver is reported to have exited the vehicle and exchanged gunshots with police before attempting to flee on foot. The man, believed to be Cameron, died on the scene.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

The news story casts a little different light at least... if you want to jump to some quick conclusions.

The Grew connection is interesting for me.. considering we now own/operate our plastics business from the old Penetang Grew building.

Edited by irishfield

In any case, it's quite tragic. I knew Dave Cameron professionally, and as noted saw him at the Hamilton Boat Show on Monday afternoon no more than six hours before this all happened. His wife passed away from cancer last summer, so I can't even imagine what his daughter must be feeling right now. Poor kid.

Grew mainly makes cottage-style runabouts, but their brand of fishing boats (Cutter) are popular on the Great Lakes. That being the case, I expect a few who read this board would have known Dave or dealt with him at various boat shows.

Really sad story. I hope the company survives.

• 2 weeks later...