Baitcasting Rig

Banger68

I've always been a spinning rig guy. I tried a baicasting reel several years ago with not the best results. But after throwing some bigger baits last year on the spinning gear and it was wearing me out. Got me was thinking about trying it again. Heard that they are alot easier to use now then the older reels.

I'm looking at the $150-$250 range for rod and reel. Setup for throwing the bigger baits for Pike (maybe the odd Musky).

I've had a good experience with the Pflueger spinning reels the past few years and was wondering if that passsed over into their baitcasters?

Others I am looking at:

BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series: reels are built at the same plant as the Pflueger, heard some good things.

Shimano Curado: A little more $$$ and are they smaller in the lower price range? Would leave me less $$ for the rod.

I was thinking or a 7' Heavy/fast action rod for this. But I'm lost in the sea of options.

Are the rods matched with the BPS reels any good?

I presume a St Croix or Shimano Compre are in this price range.

Spend more on the reel VS rod? Other way around? I know this has been discussed before, but thought I would look for some fresh opinions.

I picked up a new Abu Garcia Revo STX off of eBay for $110.00 all in. I just bought an Abu Garcia Verdict to pair with it for around $130. obviously I haven't used the combo yet but it does feel very well balanced and super light. Check out eBay for your reels.

I think this is part of the reasons many of us "lock-in" to a particular brand of reels and then are reluctant to venture away from said brand. In the store it is hard to really tell what the reel and rod can do. You can read the specs inside and out and twirl the hand for hours, but until you're on the water you never know for sure. I was at two stores today in Ottawa (the cannel is closed today for skating) and I was looking at some baitcast reels. They all felt nice and were very smooth. But how do they cast... I've got no clue because I haven't owned these brands before. :dunno: I'm deturmind to branch out from my comfort zone but hesitant to spend good money to do so.

It`s all really a matter of personal preference, you don`t have to break the bank to get a decent outfit. Take a look at ebay as an alternative, an older model Shimano Curado 200-201 can be had for around 100 bucks in very good condition. It is suitable for good sized fish, if you are casting a larger bait a 5 to 1 reel might be your best bet?

Slap it on a medium heavy flipping rod and you are in fairly good shape for all but the largest of pike and ski`s?

I have used shimano products almost exclusively since I started fishing over 20 years ago. I think they make a great product and will always continue to use them. With that said, in the last couple of years I have purchased some of the bps stuff and am really impressed. Last year I bought a pro qualifier tournament reel. It casts a mile and the drag is smooth. I also have a Johhny Morris signature series reel which I find to be a little heavy. I have a shimano Ci4 paired with a bps carbon lite rod and was surprised by the lightness and sensitivity of the rod.

Take a good look at the bps products, for the money they can't be beat.

Banger, Yes the new reels are better than those of years ago but you still need practice. I am a baitcaster adict except for baits under 1/8 ounce and have been doing it for 65 years or more. A friend of mine was in your same situation and a few years ago bought a new Curado and a St. Croix reel. He still didn't practice. We fished together for 6 weeks over 3 years and he might have used his high end out fit a total of 4 or 5 hours. Moral: If you are going to invest be ready to practice or expect dissapointment. Then another friend went from spinning to baitcasting and bought midpriced gear think Quantum or KVD BPS reels and doesn't use his spinning gear at all anymore and has no trouble -Moral it still takes back yard practice and time on the water.

I've always been a spinning rig guy. I tried a baicasting reel several years ago with not the best results. But after throwing some bigger baits last year on the spinning gear and it was wearing me out. Got me was thinking about trying it again. Heard that they are alot easier to use now then the older reels.

I'm looking at the $150-$250 range for rod and reel. Setup for throwing the bigger baits for Pike (maybe the odd Musky).

I've had a good experience with the Pflueger spinning reels the past few years and was wondering if that passsed over into their baitcasters?

Others I am looking at:

BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series: reels are built at the same plant as the Pflueger, heard some good things.

Shimano Curado: A little more $$$ and are they smaller in the lower price range? Would leave me less $$ for the rod.

I was thinking or a 7' Heavy/fast action rod for this. But I'm lost in the sea of options.

Spend more on the reel VS rod? Other way around? I know this has been discussed before, but thought I would look for some fresh opinions.

I think the Abu Garcia revo winch would be a good reel to look at. I have one that I pair with a 7ft compre when casting for Musky, It can handle everything but cowgirls and heavy topwaters. I also use it with a MH rapala r-type rod for pike fishing and I like it. You can get a winch on ebay for about 150, just watch out for the shipping costs. You could look into pairing the winch with a vendetta rod. I have one and like it for the price. There are a lot of options for a MH and H rod.

So I said St. Croix reel - a senior moment. I should have said a St. Croix rod.

quote name='NBR' date='21 February 2011 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1298298171' post='553964']

Banger, Yes the new reels are better than those of years ago but you still need practice. I am a baitcaster adict except for baits under 1/8 ounce and have been doing it for 65 years or more. A friend of mine was in your same situation and a few years ago bought a new Curado and a St. Croix reel. He still didn't practice. We fished together for 6 weeks over 3 years and he might have used his high end out fit a total of 4 or 5 hours. Moral: If you are going to invest be ready to practice or expect dissapointment. Then another friend went from spinning to baitcasting and bought midpriced gear think Quantum or KVD BPS reels and doesn't use his spinning gear at all anymore and has no trouble -Moral it still takes back yard practice and time on the water.

Just my opinion but I'd stay away from any of the big box store reels that have so-call celebrity names attached to them.

I'd go with a Shimano set-up and know that your buying a quality product from a company that stands behind their stuff.

Again though, just my opinion.

I have no problem with practicing thumbsup_anim.gif

I was getting better with the old setup, even caught a 54" Musky with it. But started having problems with the drag and magnetic brake and just let it sit. But always had problems throwing lighter lures.

I switched to bait casting last year.It has a learning curve all of its own, but i love it today.Distance was easy to get, accuracy was a lot harder.For ME, holding the rod in both hands while casting took care of the problem.

I took the advice of many here, and spent alot of time fishing for my dogs in the back yard(without hooks of coursewhistling.gif )Start with the brake set to max, then as you get better, loosen it up.I dont use the brake any longer after lots of practice.

Paul

I was thinking of trying something a little different for the fun of it. Anybody try the Carrot Stix?

I know Shimano is popular but I have not done well with there stuff. Mind you it was all $40 reels and $50 rods. My old Sidestab is still going.

Their Compre rods seem like one of the better deals out there.

Edited by Banger68

Problem with some of the big box house brand stuff is service, you can't go to Aikmans or one of the either repair guys out there and expect him to have parts. Stick to Abu, Quantum, Shimano or Daiwa. Spend more on the reel and less on the rod. You get what you pay for with Baitcasters.

Others I am looking at:

The split between rod and reel should depend on the technique(s) you will be using most on this combo, technically speaking. Where rod sensitivity is most important, you will want to spend more on the rod than the reel. Where sensitivity is less of a priority, then reel will take a larger percentage. In my personal opinion, I enjoy the reel more than the rod, when fishing, and tend to buy reels with higher MSRPs (I use MSRP since I buy used).

How big is much bigger (with respect to lures)? Also, are you casting or trolling? Also, what size line will you be using? Some of the low profile reels with the 200 sized spools may not have the line capacity. You may need to look at getting into 300 sized reels such as the Curado 300e or the Abu Garcia Toros. Do you want to retrieve with your right hand or left hand? If left, then that eliminates the Curado 300. I think the price eliminates both of these reels. Are you looking for a low profile baticaster or are you willing to go with a round baitcaster? If so, the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur c3 series is around $115 with more line capacity (5500 model or higher).

If you are looking at casting large bass sized lures, you can probably get away with using a low profile reel. Since you are targetting pike, consider the Abu Garcia Revo series of reels since they have the most powerful drag systems out of the box. The new Pfluegers should have similar drags since they are made out of the same factory. Some of the new BPS reels are made in the same factories as Pflueger and Abu Garcia, and will have similar quality. Speaking of my experience with Pflueger, I own a previous generation Summit which is extremely smooth and far casting. I would not hesitate to recommend Pflueger. Quantums also have beefed up drag systems now.

This reel, http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Johnny-Morris-Carbon-Black-Bass-Caster-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reels/product/10210557/-1756337 the Johnny Morris Carbon Black Bass Caster, is a low profile reel with a wide spool for increased line capacity with 14 lbs of drag pressure. It is one of those best of both worlds kind of reels in my opinion with the good drag power and good line capacity. The Johnny Morris Signature Series reel appears to be a good reel as well, based on the specs. It also comes in a wide spool version; however, it does not identify what the max drag rating is. The Curado 300 is the largest sized reel and the most expensive. The 50 is the smallest, but the second most expensive. The 200 is the mid sized reel at the base price. It is a good reel with a decent drag (a little lower than the Carbon Black), and a very good reputation for durability.

If spending $250 on the combo, look at the BPS reels. The new generation of them have a good reputation for value. I own one, and have guided a number of my personal friends towards purchasing these reels without issue. (We all own variants of Pro Qualifiers). My brother owns 2 Johnny Morris reels and has been happy with them aside from the weight.

For rods, the Compre is within your price range, as are the St Croix Premier and Mojo rods. Also consider the Rapala R-Type rods - very well balanced for a great price. I would also consider Okuma rods, which I find to be relatively good value. Remember, when pruchasing a rod, the power should be based on the technique(s) and the weight of the lures you are using. Going too heavy may make casting lighter lures impossible or frustrating. Consider the lure weight range you will be casting, and select a rod for which your range matches the rod's recommended weight range.

Hope that helped some.

Thanks all your input guys. I appreciate it.

I ended up getting a Pflueger Patriarch with the wide spool. Found a good deal and couldn't resist. Depending on where you read it is supposed to have a good strong drag system and everything on the reel is smooth.

I also picked up 7' MH Shimano Compre. They have the rods on sale at the London boat show and no tax. Plus the rebate right now. Hope I don't regret going lighter (MH vs H) but the heavy seemed a little too stiff for casting Raps all day.

I'll put up some feedback when I get some casting time.