left hand turn in left hand lane

chessy

just wondering if any one knows about this .... making a left hand turn in a left hand lane . do you need to put on a signal light if no oncoming traffic .

not in Quebec you dont!!! Signal lites are optional equipment herestretcher.gifwhistling.gif

You should use your signal lites any time, anywhere you turn. Make it a habit.Hqw many times have ya cursed the guy in front of you for turning without his flashers.

Taken from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Signal for left or right turn

142.(1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).

Edited by Old Man

Taken from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Signal for left or right turn

142.(1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).

There you go, so you don't have to signal at all times.

Why would you NOT signal though??rolleyes.gif its the safe thing to do even if its not mandatory.clapping.gif

Agreed. It take less effort to signal all the time than it does to check in all directions to see if there maybe someone who is affected by your move. Also, "affected by your move" is always open to interpretation by yourself, other drivers and the police. Safest and easiest just to signal all the time.

Nobody's saying what's right or wrong, just the legalities of the situation.

Yup i know, just trying to guide the OP in his decision.thumbsup_anim.gifangel.png

Dont ya just love some of our laws???Ice cabins need a flush toilet and a kitchen if you want to drink in them, but its not mandatory to signal when turning????I just dont know!!!dunno.gif

does anyone else hate it when the car in front of you comes to an almost complete stop BEFORE they signal their turn?

Years back I almost rear ended an older lady who had come to a complete stop with her indicator light on at the end of an on ramp.

Another time an old Scotish gent a few cars in front of me was rear ended by the car behind him 'cause he stopped at a red light.

After the accident I heard him say "Well, I thought it was going to turn red, that's why I stopped".

Nothing like a cautious old Scotsman. :lol:

My real pet peeve that happens everyday is people in front of me on an on ramp who don't accelerate to merge safely with the traffic. Drives me nuts. :lol:

Please always signal, I'm so sick of the odd person not signaling when they cut me off. Sure they can get away with it when there isn't other cars around, but it's the 1 time they forget to when changing lanes that causes the accident. If you do it every time than it just becomes a habit... It should be routine for everyone...

I think we're also missing part of Chessy's question... you are in a mandatory turn lane.. that is dedicated to making a left turn.. do you need to signal as well?

Apparently not according to the law. However when you are driving towards an intersection it's often difficult to tell if the car opposite of u is in a dedicated left hand turn lane or if it goes straight through. A simple signal tells u if you get a yellow light you're best to stop if you can so the person can make their left. Just my opinion.

I think we're also missing part of Chessy's question... you are in a mandatory turn lane.. that is dedicated to making a left turn.. do you need to signal as well?

As it's written in Part 10 Section 142 of the Highway Traffic Act, there is no mention of dedicated/mandatory turns lanes, so as written Section 142 (1) would apply to all turns.

We do one better in Que. We have a center lane dedicated to drivers turning left from both directionsclapping.gif And some dorks use it as a passing lane, or get into this lane miles before they are turning left!!!Signal lites important in this situation?Well, i would say yes, others would say no.Lets live on the edgewallbash.gif