Boat owners...need ideas!

anders

Hey guys

i just bought a new boat...alumacraft 165 classic tiller and i am going to install downriggers on it. However, I want to avoid drilling through the gunnels at all costs. I dont really want to use a board that runs across the boat, does anyone have any ideas, seen anything out there that can mount them without going through the gunnels?

Thanks

Edited by anders

Maybe a picture of gunnels and rear deck would bring some thoughts. No matter what you're drilling into something, unless your boat has a rail system similar to the Sportrac on the Lunds.

Percher had some nice pedestals bolted to his rear deck that brought the riggers up above the gunnels.

would you have felt better if the boat came with pre drilled holes for mounting riggers....get over it ...and drill the holes..you can always leave the base plates on the boat at resale...or selll the riggers with it

just curious as to how your going to deal with adding a tranducer thats below the waterline...

dont forget to silicone every bolt you put through the hull under the waterline...

Congrates on the new ride and good luck in your rigging..

Cheers

Hey guys

i just bought a new boat...alumacraft 165 classic tiller and i am going to install downriggers on it. However, I want to avoid drilling through the gunnels at all costs. I dont really want to use a board that runs across the boat, does anyone have any ideas, seen anything out there that can mount them without going through the gunnels?

Thanks

Here is a link to what I used - the 'angle stand' mounted on my rear casting deck on each side.

http://www.walkerdow...ccessories.html

Here is what I did when I installed riggers on my Starcraft:

IMG_1557.jpg

I used truck cap clamps to hold it down, and utilized the existing cleats:

IMG_1556.jpg

I varnished the wood at least 9 times and finally used some felt in betwwen the wood and the boat, to prevent scratching..

IMG_1558.jpg

Hope that helps..

Feel free to PM if you have any questions..

Classic-165-Tiller-1.jpg

this is the boat

i am just worried if I use the clamps from walker or scotty they might not be strong enough.

And for those cuious...i am not new to downrigging, just looking to see if someone has something up there sleave?

thanks for all the replies already guys! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by anders

Use a board similar to Ten90's setup but run near the cleats at the front of the boat. You won't be able to use bow pedestal seat while rigging but the board can be removed for shallow water fishing. My Cannon owners manual actually recommends mounting the riggers at the front of the boat.

Alternatively, I think they do make transom mount brakets.

Check out Berts Custom Tracks...lots of mounting options and easy to take on/off. They have risers, downrigger mounts etc. Used them with Down East Rod holders and they are rock solid.

Looks like they will fit on the carpeted sections near the transom.

Congrats on the new ride. Tillers rule!!

Check out Berts Custom Tracks...lots of mounting options and easy to take on/off. They have risers, downrigger mounts etc. Used them with Down East Rod holders and they are rock solid.

Looks like they will fit on the carpeted sections near the transom.

Congrats on the new ride. Tillers rule!!

Thanks Jay definitly looks like some possibilities there! I like the transom mounting board idea as well.

Tiller do Rule!

Whatever mounting device/method you choose, I would highly recommend that you consider a comfortable/ergonomic height. When you are bending over & reaching numerous times throughout the day setting/operating your riggers, a sore/bad back can put a dent in your day pretty quickly stretcher.gif .

I added the platform last year. Made a huge difference in comfort and ability to do multiple lure/set up changes. See my pics on this thread;http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50839

regards,

Pikeslayer

I'm thinking pedestal bases on the rear deck, board across the back is out with a tller.

Now after seeing Dara's brackets utilizing the cleats, I would maybe go with them on the forward cleats, next to the front seat. Would relieve congestion at the back, a partner could set lines while you operated the motor and electronics, also a neck saver as the rods are in the same vision as steering the boat. Just keep the riggers opposite each other for tangling issues.