snowmobile slams into ice hut on Chemong Lake

chessy

I wonder what his excuse would have been if it was a rock, ice heave of worse still, a stopped or stalled snowmobile.dunno.gif

eaxactly !!!

If he couldnt see because he was following too close to his friends and the snow was blocking his vision he should have slowed downblink.gif I hope he doesnt drive a car like thatwallbash.gif

Putting reflectors on a permanent ice hut is common sense to me, your putting a man made obstruction out on an open lake and it only makes sense to me to have it well defined. Obviously it may not stop some idiot, for what ever reason from driving into it but it does make a big difference at night for most people to see your hut.For the time and low cost involved it's worth the effort.When your out at night on the sled the headlights pick-up the reflectors instantly,it makes a huge difference,I really can't understand why anyone would not put reflectors on a permanent shack.I also don't get why people would think it's a dumb idea, maybe just people that don't sled on lakes at night think it's a waste.

Putting reflectors on a permanent ice hut is common sense to me, your putting a man made obstruction out on an open lake and it only makes sense to me to have it well defined. Obviously it may not stop some idiot, for what ever reason from driving into it but it does make a big difference at night for most people to see your hut.For the time and low cost involved it's worth the effort.When your out at night on the sled the headlights pick-up the reflectors instantly,it makes a huge difference,I really can't understand why anyone would not put reflectors on a permanent shack.I also don't get why people would think it's a dumb idea, maybe just people that don't sled on lakes at night think it's a waste.

No one is saying it's a dumb idea. The fact is, is this shack had reflectors and lights on it and the sledder is still claiming it's not his fault and that it wasn't enough.

buoys have reflectors on them, cause they're dropped in a waterway where people would hit them if they weren't clearly marked. kind of like an ice hut in the middle of the lake i suppose..........

of course, some one wacks a buoy or a weather float every now and then.

To be honest I already thought it was law for a hut to have reflectors on it, if it isn't it should be.If you ride trails in the north, bridges, trees, curves, signs etc are all clearly marked with reflective tape or paint.Accidents are still going to happen no matter what,legislating reflectors on ice huts is hardly a dumb idea.

To be honest I already thought it was law for a hut to have reflectors on it, if it isn't it should be.If you ride trails in the north, bridges, trees, curves, signs etc are all clearly marked with reflective tape or paint.Accidents are still going to happen no matter what,legislating reflectors on ice huts is hardly a dumb idea.

As I said, this shack had reflectors and lights. The root cause of this accident was the driver driving beyond his headlight/vision/reaction time for conditions. Plain and simple. All the reflectors in the world won't stop this from happening again.

I said it COULD be true, I didn't agree with it.

My questions is why do they even make stock sleds that go faster than 100km/hr or 80k for that matter?

On a lake with slush holes, it's always nice to have that extra power at your finger tips for when you need it. I was sure wishing limeyanglers sled had a bit more power last Friday. :rofl2:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50727

Edited by Old Man

http://www.chextv.com/News/LN/11-02-09/Ice_Hut_Accident_On_Chemong_Lake.aspx

Gee, I hit a stationary object that was well marked and exceeding all compliance requirements. It must be someone else's fault. :wallbash:

The ice hut owner should receive damages for his equipment loss.

thanks for posting that Michael.

i didnt realize he had reflectors & LIGHTS on his hut!!!!!!

Nice!!!!

OHHHH, it wasn't my fault because I was riding too fast & too close to my buddies so I couldn't see through all the snow. :oops:

Typical!!! It's not my fault, it's the hut owners fault because the reflectors and lights that by law he didn't have to have were too small. :glare:

What a knob!!!

The hut owner should be reimbursed for loss by the sledders insurance. IMHO

The sledder needs to take responsibility for his actions. drag.gif

Bingo has been called!!!!!

lose of hut plus lose of use.

I hope his insurance company was watching the news.

insurance adjuster: not your fault? your entitled to your own opinion, by the way, here's your new premium $$$ cha ching.

I said it COULD be true, I didn't agree with it.

My questions is why do they even make stock sleds that go faster than 100km/hr or 80k for that matter?

Because some of us like it like that.

Polaris had an ad out...it says

Its not about beating your buddy to the end of the lake

next line is

actually, thats EXACTLY what its all about :clapping:

Some people like to sit in a hut and fish, others like to do other things...we all have a right to do what we want.

Huts should have to be removed from the lake every night

Some people like to sit in a hut and fish, others like to do other things...we all have a right to do what we want.

I want to cut 15x15 foot hole in the ice, with a chainsaw and not mark it. Cuz my hobby is cutting giant holes in the ice in shapes. We should all be allowed to do what we want, we have a RIGHT.. right?!

Seriously, remove huts at night? Why the heck are you riding recreationally at night?!

Question:

Do you read what you type before you click on the Add Reply button...popcorn.gif

Answer:

I feel much safer down here knowing your up there....grease.gif

You're saying the hut owner is not at fault but in the same sentence you say that the hut owner is required to put out bells and whistles to have sleeders avoid his hut. Maybe the sleeders shouldn't over drive their headlights (speed/reaction time) and it would most likely solve the problem for both sides. Why do others alway s have to change things to accomodate the ones that cause the problem. mad.gif

Because there will always be idiots out there who behave foolishly. If Anglers can protect themselves by adding some reflective tape to their huts then why not do it? You know the mentality of some people out there. That'll never happen to me...