20 litre. manual venting gas cans

irishfield

Anyone know where a guy would find ~ 15 of the old style 20 litre cans.. with the seperate vent cap??? Not the crap they sell now with the self venting snorkel. They're useless!

The vent cap style allows you to flip the can over into the filler neck and then open the vent cap.. the new ones do not. I need about 15 more for the camp, so I have a total of 20 = 100 gallons. Tired of paying $2 a litre for av gas at the lake, when I have 500 gallons here at home that I can take with me a 100 gallons at a time...

I see you can still get the "jeep" style can.. but would prefer the shorter/wider ones of yesteryear.

Thanks for the offer Scott.. don't rush out there.. let me do some homework first as I'm not sure when I'll be down that way anytime soon.

Gonna go out to the hangar and get the product # off the cans I like to use. They work perfect to throw up on a wing and tip into the tank filler neck. I only have 5 of them.. bought about 15 years ago.. but that's only 5 trips to the Lake trout "retreat".. so I want a whole bunch more! lol

Thanks Dan... I'll have a look when I'm up town tomorrow, but Yellow = Diesel around here.. I'd have to paint them or I'd find #1 son dumping 100LL in the Zetor and the Kabota!! :w00t: .

Edited by irishfield

Wedco W520's are what I'm looking for.... and I have sent an email to Wedco. From their website.. still showing it as CSA approved Copywrite 2008. All these self vent cans are CARB.. california standard low emission..

http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/pdf/us/gascontainersheetCAN.pdf

Edited by irishfield

Wayne those new containers are useless.

I experimented with one last summer by tapping a thread in the plastic and threading in a fitting with a valve. Added a little JB weld around the thread in the plastic.

It certainly made it usable. The next one I do I will use a slightly larger fitting.

There’s probably some down falls with this idea; don’t know the legalities or your camp’s layout; too make this feasible?

But with your resources and your manufacturing skills; why not build a 100 or more gallon fuel tank/trailer with some form of floatation? Haul the thing from home, behind the truck; when you get to the lake, launch the trailer and tow it to your camp behind the boat. A manual or electric transfer pump; a few yards of hose to reach the airplane; then you can throw your gas cans away.

Dan.

Just to add another thought, forget the floatation for the trailer; there’s an ice road up there now isn’t there?

Edited by DanD

There’s probably some down falls with this idea; don’t know the legalities or your camp’s layout; too make this feasible?

But with your resources and your manufacturing skills; why not build a 100 or more gallon fuel tank/trailer with some form of floatation? Haul the thing from home, behind the truck; when you get to the lake, launch the trailer and tow it to your camp behind the boat. A manual or electric transfer pump; a few yards of hose to reach the airplane; then you can throw your gas cans away.

Dan.

Just to add another thought, forget the floatation for the trailer; there’s an ice road up there now isn’t there?

I can just see the headlines now: "The wreck of the Irish Valdeze on Lake Nippissing" :lol::lol:

Just kidding ya, would that be legal, to transport that much fuel over water?

I have 6 jerry cans that I use to fuel the boat, 3 of the new ones and 3 of the old ones. I have one of those siphon hoses that you can pick up at BPS. It works like a charm and only leaves a few drops of fuel in the can that you can get out by tipping it using the funnel. BUT, I hate the smaller tanks, I'd rather have the 5 Imperial gallons which works out to about 6 US gallons.

. I have one of those siphon hoses that you can pick up at BPS.

[/quote

I made my own syphon hose out of an old outboard fuel line by simply cutting off the fittings.Stick 1 end in the jerry can the other in the tank(has to lower of course),a couple of squeezes on the bulb to prime and it's a done deal.

Good Luck Wayne!!

I used to sell those "original" rear vent Jerry's to local gas stations 20 at a time... Scepter or Wedgco . I used to get them from Uni-Select

..and in late 2007 they started sending me the superceeded part #

the auto venters..not a customer wanted them.

Odds are that If you find a part # to match the old style and order them you will get the newer superceeded version.

Randy

:canadian:

Knew I forgot to do something when I was up town running around transfering sled ownership and getting insurance...

I'll get back to you Geoff... don't need them 'till spring at the earliest and maybe not at all for this summer the way things are going.

THANKS Fishabout... never had much use for Walmart, but I sure do today.

Got the only 7 cans on the shelf.. W520's..for $9.97 each. Thankfully Walmart hasn't joined the "low emission" revolt. The cans have a "Briggs and Straton" brand in the changable insert (of the mould). Suspect Walmart bought out a bulk stock of over run at some point.

Will give them a week or so to see if they restock, or hit maybe I'll hit Orillia Walmart Saturday on my way over their for a wake, so I can get the other 8 cans I need.

Edited by irishfield