Any electricians on the board??

Hey All,

So I had a plumber in to install the hard water line, my fridge and my dishwasher. I built my house and there was supposed to be a dishwasher rough in. The rough in for the plumbing is there, however, there is no electrical rough in. So the plumber has a buddy who is an electrician and quoted me $150-200 to run wiring from my kitchen (5 feet) install a junction box then run wiring to my electrical pane...I'm not too handy and haven't really needed an electrician before. Is the quote too high??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by FishnNAutographs

That is a fair price, consider the amount of training, tools, and overhead the man has to have and carry. The job you describe can be a huge PITA. And you get the piece of mind that someone who is trained and qualified is doing the work.

as well, I would be talking to your builder as to why the roughin was not done.

Edited by HTHM

That is a fair price, consider the amount of training, tools, and overhead the man has to have and carry. The job you describe can be a huge PITA. And you get the piece of mind that someone who is trained and qualified is doing the work.

as well, I would be talking to your builder as to why the roughin was not done.

Well said It is hard to get trained people for a job like that .. AND the pice of mind you get knowing it is done right from a trained qualified person is priceless well all most lol

Thats a bargoon if the guy knows what he is doing.Dedicated circuit,wire and breaker plus labor=deal.I suspect he is working on the side and using his bosses materials.Take it and run,its not a very complicated job.Wont be no permit pulled on it for that price.

Joe

A licensed tradesman (who isn't a friend or relative) is not going to lace up his boots, let alone come to your house, for less than $100. The cost of the materials is probably at least $50. It'll only take him an hour or two...but if the guy knows what he's doing it is worth every penny.

Then again...guess what I do for a living? If I told you my Quad was stolen and asked whether I should report it or just try to track it down myself, what would you say?

Thats a bargoon if the guy knows what he is doing.Dedicated circuit,wire and breaker plus labor=deal.I suspect he is working on the side and using his bosses materials.Take it and run,its not a very complicated job.Wont be no permit pulled on it for that price.

Joe

There's very serious consequences for doing electrical work in Ontario without a permit Joe. Very serious. Even for a simple job like that. I'm not saying that Dave won't find a licenced electrician to do the work without a permit, but that electrician is taking a serious risk for a hundred bucks or so.

There's very serious consequences for doing electrical work in Ontario without a permit Joe. Very serious. Even for a simple job like that. I'm not saying that Dave won't find a licenced electrician to do the work without a permit, but that electrician is taking a serious risk for a hundred bucks or so.

I've tickets that I won't use on the side, for that very reason. There are places I won't even go, because I could be liable for just being there. One of those is a nieghbour's place, I've told them the situation, now they come to my place.

I also carry a Personal Liability insurance, bonus is it covers anything I'm in care and control of (rental boats, etc.).

Edited by nofish4me

I've tickets that I won't use on the side, for that very reason. There are places I won't even go, because I could be liable for just being there. One of those is a nieghbour's place, I've told them the situation, now they come to my place.

I also carry a Personal Liability insurance, bonus is it covers anything I'm in care and control of (rental boats, etc.).

I'm an industrial electrician, I don't really do residential work, so I'm not 100% sure of the legalities...However, I thought as a home owner you can get a permit for work you intend on doing yourself. If you happen to have a "helper" there at the time with more experience than yourself, to give you tips, assist you...or just do the entire job while you watch TV and drink beer...you're in the clear.

I'm an industrial electrician, I don't really do residential work, so I'm not 100% sure of the legalities...However, I thought as a home owner you can get a permit for work you intend on doing yourself. If you happen to have a "helper" there at the time with more experience than yourself, to give you tips, assist you...or just do the entire job while you watch TV and drink beer...you're in the clear.

Home owners permit.We have them here and there is a time and place for them.How much does a permit cost?By the time this guy gets the permits and materials he is not leaving much for his labor.

Yes, there is a home owners permit, just finished my whole lower level, when I was stumped the ESA guy was more than happy to offer advice. If moderately handy, that job will be a piece of cake, just read up on it and ask questions.

What would take an electrician 1hour, give your self 2.5Hours. and put the money saved towards fishing gear.

R

There's very serious consequences for doing electrical work in Ontario without a permit Joe. Very serious.

I'll have to keep that in mind the next trip up, I have a hard time saying no when people find out what I can do

Price sounds reasonable to me

Edited by Whopper

Home owners permit.We have them here and there is a time and place for them.How much does a permit cost?By the time this guy gets the permits and materials he is not leaving much for his labor.

All my ESA permits cost $82 each

Edited by Dan Bouck