Classic snowmobiles

Rod Caster

1970 Blizzard is one of the coolest sleds ever in my opinion.

I also have a soft spot (and a sore back) for the 1985 Polaris SS 440. At 13 I drove one from North Bay to Huntsville, return. I couldn't play hockey or other sports for almost 2 weeks...horrible rear suspension on those things, but great memories!!thumbsup_anim.gif

Oldman: I was just gonna repost that for you here because it's so nice.... I've never seen that before but I'm blown away!!thumbsup_anim.gifworthy.gif

Is that a "high beam" as the second light??

No, the only light was the one on the left side. The vents in the top of the cowling are for the small rad. The heat exchanger was in the front bumper. As I said , my cousin rode one for a number of years. Extremely fast and probably one of the best riding sleds in it's day. 440 liquid cooled Xenoah engine, came original with an Arctic Cat Hex clutch which everyone soon replace with a Comet 102. Although you can't really see it in this picture, the chrome ski's were hot looking.

Edited by Old Man

This is when they made a sled.

Kinda hard to hurt yourself on this one.

I'm the little guy on the seat ahead of my mom.

3-9-2009_002.jpg

And my dads old 68 Snow Crusher in the background.

3-9-2009_043.jpg

An old Moto Ski, not sure what year. An old family friend with a few pickerel.

3-8-2009_045.jpg

The first sled I drove as a kid. 1980 ET340. I was probaly about 8 years old and couldn't handle it wide open. Was such a light sled.

Not my picture. Stole it off the net.

Chrome belly pan shows every dent.

I don't think we'll ever see chrome belly pans again. Talk about low center of gravity, Yamaha figured it out years ago!

The sled that most of us old guys started with. The first I ever drove. 1966 Ski Doo Olympique 250. Only 247cc, but she could go through a ton of powder.

1966SkiDooOlympicS1.jpg

1966SkiDooOlympicS2.jpg

Steered like a tank on a packed surface. Lean over til your helmet almost touches ground if you wanted to make a tight turn. They were near indestructible :blush::devil:

A few pictures...

The Ski-Doo is an Olympique (I think it was 18 HP). Very "tippy" until I eventually put extension plates on the ski pivots.

The lead machine in the multiple sled picture is an old single-ski Snow Bug (made in Sudbury).

84-001 800x600.jpg

84-003 800x600.jpg

1985-003 800x600.jpg

1985-004 800x600.jpg

Hey Ryan I had that same Phazer II back when it was just out what a great sled a buddy had the other model which was reverse paint we switched side covers and she sure did look wicked all white. One of the best pasts about this sled was she NEVER got stuck I was always the one to break new trails one of the best sleds I have owned.

I also loved my 650 INDY but she was not any good in very deep snow if you stopped it was fun to try and get going again but she was great for trail ridding and also lake racing which we did daily in Sudbury, all kids of people would show up to moonlight beach on Lake Ramsey in Sudbury and race out to the first island all day no rules just great times.

I like the look`s of some of the old girls but would never want my elan or olimpic back.