Why are they building such ugly sleds?

Jonny

Why have they started building such god-awful UGLY sleds?

Some of them look like they hit a wall before they even got out of the showroom.

I see them running by my place on the lake and they look ridiculous. :D

arctic cat.JPG

ski-doo.JPG

yamaha.JPG

The yellow one is pretty.

I went on a run with friends from my place in Phelpston to Coldwater on Sunday for lunch with friends and there were four of the new 1200 Ski Doos with us. They looked awesome but the only complaint came come from the ladies. The new ski doos are really wide compared to the previous generation which my wife and I run (2006). The girls can't stand up like they used to when riding bumpy trails. Bit once again they were real nice and real quiet.

The yellow one is pretty.

I went on a run with friends from my place in Phelpston to Coldwater on Sunday for lunch with friends and there were four of the new 1200 Ski Doos with us. They looked awesome but the only complaint came come from the ladies. The new ski doos are really wide compared to the previous generation which my wife and I run (2006). The girls can't stand up like they used to when riding bumpy trails. Bit once again they were real nice and real quiet.

Skidoo is working on a sled for the ladies. Just for the points you said. They could ride side saddle,but is out dated.LOL

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the new platform sleds are kind of weird looking, but the performance and handling is not even comparable IMO.

i myself still ride an older sled, a 2002 ski doo grand touring, but the REV platform model sleds i've ridden are awesome.

they are lighter and handle much better on the trails.

also, the new 4 strokes are wild! my sled gets something like 11 mpg where the newer 4 strokes are getting just shy of 30. in this day and age, that's a big deal in fuel costs.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

One of my fishing buddies used to have an 80's model Yamaha Phazer --- you couldn't bog that thing down in anything. But it was a sleek looking machine.

i have a few chums that still ride the old phazers... i loved that light on the steering wheel!

also, the new 4 strokes are wild! my sled gets something like 11 mpg where the newer 4 strokes are getting just shy of 30. in this day and age, that's a big deal in fuel costs.

You bet!!!

Gas milage is awsome on the 4 strokes, although they are quite a bit heavier.

I have a 2008 Yamaha RS Venture GT that has a 1000cc 120hp 4 stroke and get 160kms per tank pulling 2 loaded boggans while the 2 strokes get 1/2 of that.

The looks of the GT are nice as well.

When I bought the sled I steered away from the regular RS Venture because it looked like an angry wasp. :lol:

I know what you are saying Jocko, they seem ugly to me too.

But hop on one and you will understand. These new sleds work incredible.

There is a reason for the way they are engineered.

Low center of gravity (gets the engine down low) long travel suspension for a smooth ride, less belly pan which slowed them down in snow, wide ski stance for stability, lightweight construction for power to weight ratios, handling and fuel economy.

Why have they started building such god-awful UGLY sleds?

Some of them look like they hit a wall before they even got out of the showroom.

I see them running by my place on the lake and they look ridiculous. :D

Function over form. Back when I was neck deep in the sled biz the sleds were still pretty homely, and the functionality sucked too. They did get a bit prettier for a few years (decades perhaps) but the prettiest ones were always the sleds that were designed for performsnce like the Kalamazoos, the Speedways and the Thunderjets etc. Even the Blizzards were pretty. But that's just a matter of personal preference I suppose. I happened to like the noisy fast ones.

JF

Function over form. Back when I was neck deep in the sled biz the sleds were still pretty homely, and the functionality sucked too. They did get a bit prettier for a few years (decades perhaps) but the prettiest ones were always the sleds that were designed for performsnce like the Kalamazoos, the Speedways and the Thunderjets etc. Even the Blizzards were pretty. But that's just a matter of personal preference I suppose. I happened to like the noisy fast ones.

JF

Mine is a luxury touring sled, not one of them racing dealies but when I can get it to hook up it tries to separate my arms from the rest of my body. :lol:

It's more streamlined than the performance jobs which I like as well. :P

Plus I can rip along at 110 with me, my buddy and frabil flip over across the lake. :whistling:

Gotta watch out for bumps though. ;)

Venture-GT-DGray_3.jpg

Good call Jocko.

The new edge design is very techo-geeky.

I liked the 2002 ish polaris prox's, the indy trails, older Machs , yammy SRX's etc.

I'm relatively young but appreciate good design. The new ones belong in video games.

Can't compare with the engineering though!

JF

I also had Blizzards back in the eary '80s.Awesome machines.Haven't ridden for a long time but would love to try one of the new Gen X machines.Higher CG , more power and handling like never before sounds like a blast.To pull the Clam ? I don't think so but most of the manufacturers still make utility, touring machines.

the new platform sleds are kind of weird looking, but the performance and handling is not even comparable IMO.

I know what you are saying Jocko, they seem ugly to me too. But hop on one and you will understand. These new sleds work incredible.

Function over form.

Good call Jocko. The new edge design is very techo-geeky. Can't compare with the engineering though!

You fellas are right of course.

I figured it would have something to do with performance. No sense monkeying with the motor position, the rider's position and the track if a sled handled worse. Maybe they just get the look wrong (in my taste) in some models, just like the car companies can produce some UGLEEEE cars and trucks.

Mine is a luxury touring sled, not one of them racing dealies but when I can get it to hook up it tries to separate my arms from the rest of my body.

Now that's still a seriously good-looking machine by any standards. It doesn't fit the pug-ugly category. :) It would be nice to see some of your own pics of it some time in operation when you get it out fishing.

I'm still motoring along on my old Pantera. Always liked it and still do. For the running I do - simply 4 to 6 miles out on the ice, and then the same back home - I don't think I could talk my wife into a new one. :D

If I did, it wouldn't be one of the real pug-nosed jobs. :D

IMG_6088.jpg

I also had Blizzards back in the eary '80s.Awesome machines.Haven't ridden for a long time but would love to try one of the new Gen X machines.Higher CG , more power and handling like never before sounds like a blast.To pull the Clam ? I don't think so but most of the manufacturers still make utility, touring machines.

I think those late 70's early 80's Blizzards were one of the best looking sleds ever made.

1979_Ski_Doo_Blizzard_9500_Plus.jpg