Normark Fin Bore III Auger

Wymen

Picked up a Fin Bore III Auger at the beginning of the season. At first it would rip through the ice without any problems. Now it seems like the blades just slide and it takes some downward force to get it to catch. I spoke to Rapala and they are saying its normal wear and tear. Is this normal?

Been out probably 6-7 times this year. Probably drilled 80-90 holes. Last 2 trips were to Simcoe and it just seem so difficult to drill 5" deep compared to drilling 10-12" out at Rice lake...

Wymen

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

your blades sound toast.

if your blades get dull it's often from clunking it down where you're about to drill a hole, redrilling old holes, etc.

sharpen your blades or replace them.

I was told by an older gentlemen to run a knife down the top of the blade. He said it will push the edge downward and that it should be good as new. I just recently picked up the strike master so I haven't had to touch my blades yet, but if your about to replace blades it's probably worth a shot.

I was told by an older gentlemen to run a knife down the top of the blade. He said it will push the edge downward and that it should be good as new. I just recently picked up the strike master so I haven't had to touch my blades yet, but if your about to replace blades it's probably worth a shot.

no grasshopper, use one of these to sharpen the blades

Skate Stone

its true ita gets dull.. also it depends how you used it... I saw people that when they drill the hole they have to slam down the auger to the ice so that the blade can make a mark, before they drill.. Im not saying its you maybe just maybe one of the people who came with you.. thats actually ruin the blade.. asides of that you buy a new blades and sharpin the dull one.. like gonefishin said...

bfisher

I have a Normark suede bore which is basically the same thing except the blades dont have a curve to them. I bang it all over the place and I bang it up and down in the hold to knock off the edges at the bottom of the hole and it still cuts like new.

I have a 6", works as good as it did lasy year. I get out about 10-15times in the winter so it sees use, still cuts fine.

Not sure why your blades would be dull already :dunno:

Were you fishing on really cold days? If so, this might be the issue... I find with the Fin-Bore that after you drill a hole or two in extreme cold, ice builds up around the blades, and in particular, in the middle of the auger between the blades. This ice causes the auger blades to not dig in and just spin on the ice... it happened to me last week on one of those -20 days. You have to very carefully (not to damage the blade or your hand) get that ice out of there and it should be ok again...

Were you fishing on really cold days? If so, this might be the issue... I find with the Fin-Bore that after you drill a hole or two in extreme cold, ice builds up around the blades, and in particular, in the middle of the auger between the blades. This ice causes the auger blades to not dig in and just spin on the ice... it happened to me last week on one of those -20 days. You have to very carefully (not to damage the blade or your hand) get that ice out of there and it should be ok again...

Yeah I thought it was the ice build up, but I had the same problem the first time I used it last weekend.

I know I'm quite rough pulling the auger out of the hole after I hit water to help clear the slush. Will that wreck the blades?

I think one of my friends may have slammed the auger down to plant it in the snow one time... I wonder if that would have damaged the blades...

Anyways, it seems that the blades need sharpening. Anyone have any ideas where to get them sharpened? I have whetstones but based on my experience sharpening knives I'll probably make things worse.

Wymen

Yeah I thought it was the ice build up, but I had the same problem the first time I used it last weekend.

I know I'm quite rough pulling the auger out of the hole after I hit water to help clear the slush. Will that wreck the blades?

I think one of my friends may have slammed the auger down to plant it in the snow one time... I wonder if that would have damaged the blades...

Anyways, it seems that the blades need sharpening. Anyone have any ideas where to get them sharpened? I have whetstones but based on my experience sharpening knives I'll probably make things worse.

WymenYou need to really know what you're doing to sharpen the blades on your auger. It's not an axe. Normark , on Phillip Murray Dr. in Oshawa , used to sharpen them on site. Give them a call. And yes, banging the blade into the snow, or on the ice , will damage the angle.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Wymen

personally i'd put a new set of blades on, (keep the old ones in your fishing bag just in case), and don't let your auger be the "community" auger. there's always one guy who doesn't know how to use an auger properly, and it only takes one wrong move to take the edge off.

a finn bore should require no downward pressure to cut holes.

I use a Speedy Sharp to keep 'em up I also have a FIN III... it has over 500 holes on it I'm sure, and I retouched the blades last year .. still cuts like new , no pressure required.

But as others said... If you change the angle of the blades you're done for.

I bought a replacement set at CTC just in case for about 25$

Speedy Sharp cost me 13.99 and works on almost any blade...

Randy

:canadian:

Have you tried tightening the nuts? On rare occasions, they'll loosen and when the blades aren't seated correctly they won't cut.

Rookies are the worst enemy of manual drills...if your friend did slam it down (and after you try tightening them) and they still don't cut they are probably done. If so, grab a new set.

The Fin Bore III is an amazing auger, I have a 4" and 8" that are both about 5 years old and still cut very well. I've never had to replace the blades on them, but I am very careful with them and treat them well. They shouldn't require and downward prssure to drill holes. I was even up on Nippising and drilled 8 holes through 3' of ice no prob.

As others have mentioned, never drill through old holes, bang your auger down on the ice or try and sharpen the blades unless you really know what you are doing. Just get new blades and take care of your auger and you will be effortlessly cutting holes again.

Good ice fishing!

Aaron

no grasshopper, use one of these to sharpen the blades

Skate Stone

I know how to sharpen metal blades...

But this guy swore to me this was the easiest way and produced really good results. He was even trying to show me on my new auger... Told me to never use a stone... I'm just saying it might work when your out on the ice with dull blades and no other resources.

I'm leaving sharpening the blades myself as a last resort, especially if I use a stone b/c I'm quite sure I'll end up damaging them. Looking at the blades it looks like there is a few burrs. I think I'm going to try re-aligning the edge with leather first (kinda what you do with the old shaving razors). If that doesn't work I think I'll move to a honing rod that I use on kitchen knives... The sharpening stone is absolutely last resort...

I don't own a Fin Bore but a 6" Sub Zero.... going on the third season and never had any issues with it.... cuts through ice like butter :)

I never put any weight on when drilling, just let the blades do the job and when I reach water, I keep going an extra turn and then thrust downward to get the final piece of ice chipped.... then the plastic guard goes on it when not in use :)

.... I think one of my friends may have slammed the auger down to plant it in the snow one time... I wonder if that would have damaged the blades...

Sounds like your blades took a beating from the jolt and warp them.... sharpening won't resolve the issue.... my advice is to put on another set

Leechman

I had my Fin Bore replaced several years ago when I kept having a similar problem. I believe it was "out of alignment" and I couldn't drill holes very well. They replaced the head and I've had no problems since.

mine is the same way, it will cut great then it will just spin in the hole without cutting randomly and then start to cut again, but it is getting worse more spinning less cutting, blades are sharp

When you say "they" replaced the head on yours who did you take it too?

Edited by moosehead

I had my Fin Bore replaced several years ago when I kept having a similar problem. I believe it was "out of alignment" and I couldn't drill holes very well. They replaced the head and I've had no problems since.

What do you mean the head? Is it the part where the blades are bolted on to?

I had tightened the bolts before heading back out this weekend and the auger was pretty much useless. I ended up loosen the blades and it seemed to cut better.

Is there any chance that I could have warped the part where the blades get mounted to?

Wymen

What do you mean the head? Is it the part where the blades are bolted on to?

I had the actual head replaced at the Normark distributor (at the time) somewhere in Oshawa? It was years ago. The head was the part where the blades are attached. Now that I think about it, I might have got a replacement auger..... Regardless, it was a problem and replacement solved the problem.

Like you mentioned, about warping the auger where the blades mount, this will render if pretty much useless. This happened to my fin bore and new blades didn't help, replaced it with a swede bore which seems to take abuse better and is more easily sharpened in the field. When I was snowshoeing alot the augers took a beating.