The Only Man In The World (Report - Lots of Pics)

Rich

Hitched a ride out to one of my favourite haunts today in hopes of meeting a longtime fishin pal at the old spot. Got there a couple hours before Rob was supposed to arrive and set the hut up, put a pike line out and got base camp all good & ready.

DSCF1668.jpg

DSCF1669.jpg

Indoors at base camp was pretty simple by myself. Bucket, rods, tackle and my Amp energy drink. lol

After I got base camp set up I drilled a circle of holes around where I estimated the weedbed I was fishing to be. In every one of those holes, I was catching these:

DSCF1676.jpg

DSCF1678.jpg

After a couple hours of moving around and stinging bluegill left right and center (none of them very big either) I decided to wait it out for Rob in the hut. Rob said his ride was delayed and he'd be a bit longer. Well to my surprise, in the very random spot I setup the hut, there were quite a lot of hungry crappies. Not quite slabs, but some decent ones in the mix. I released them all except one that literally inhaled my Kastmaster.

DSCF1666.jpg

DSCF1672.jpg

Right when Rob says he's finally on his way, he has a ride, I, in an even more random series of events, hook a jumbo perch amongst the crappies!

DSCF1674.jpg

That thing was on drugs. It was right up high, sitting 3 feet below the ice with the crappies.

The day continued, and I literally had the lake to myself the entire day. Rob never did show up, his ride played more tricks and he got stuck watching Call of Duty. Haha. He really missed out, too bad. My only disappointment in the flurry of action inside the hut is only one brief pike encounter. It was a modest sized fish (maybe 30") that smacked my Kastmaster tipped with a minnow, but soon after shook the hook. Inside the darkness of my hut I could actually watch all these fish feeding above the weedbed, that kept me occupied most of the day too.

But alas, time went by and I had to pack up. While waiting by the ice access for my ride home I drilled around and found a shallow weedbed in 5' of water. It was loaded with more bluegills, that were willing to take my Kastmaster at first, then I had to downsize to cut up minnows on tear drop jigs. They hammered that.

DSCF1682.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg

Amongst the small bluegills in this weedbed there was a random little perch that poked his head at the jig for a while before I finally got him. haha

DSCF1684.jpg

What a great day on the water. I did a lot of walking and drilling, and sitting and waiting, and jigging and jigging - but I do believe I couldn't have asked for a better payout.

DSCF1679.jpg

Thanks for the kind replies.

Sounds like a great day on the ice. How do you like that shelter? I'm looking to fet a pop up shelter and someone had a Celsius one for sale but I couldn't find any info on them

I had a Cabelas Excursion hut before. It actually looked tougher than this one, but barely lasted a season. This one is going on 2 seasons now still looks and works like brand new. I cant really see any disadvantages to it besides the canvas isn't as heavy duty as other pop-up huts I've seen just gotta be careful with it. That being said, thats just a hunch so far there's no holes! It's big enough to fit 3 comfortably, light enough to slam on top of my sled and easy enough for me to completely set up by myself (including anchoring) in 20 minutes. In other words - I recommend it. I got mine at Wal-Mart. haha

What a great day on the water. I did a lot of walking and drilling, and sitting and waiting, and jigging and jigging - but I do believe I couldn't have asked for a better payout.

That line should be used in a fishing song.

That Amp energy drink sure gave you copious amounts energy...that's a lot of ice trolling.thumbsup_anim.gif