transducer depth?

pidge

Whats all the cool kids doin with there transducer when using it for ice fishing? I've seen them mounted on a homemade "tee" appratus which would set it down the farthust depending on the lenght of the rod. I've also seen some attanched to some pool toy foammys that looks like it would float??? Whats the best method you guys have been seing? I'm just using an el-cheapo portable by the way, not sure if that really changes anything regaurding the transducer. Pidge. :canadian:

The main thing is that your transducer has to be pointing straight down. If you have an arrow-shaped transducer intended to be used under a boat, as opposed to puck shaped one that is intended for ice fishing, you may want to mount it on a stick so that you can ensure it is angled correctly.

If your transducer is not pointing straight down you might still mark fish, but you'll have a hard time picking up a signal from your jig.

Thanks GoodMan for the tips, Tracker thats what I was thinking. I'm unaware if the ice screws anything up. If it gets any warmer this week I'l' get out in the garage and rig up something. Bill thats interesting. Doing a serch some member posted up, laying it on the ice with water on top would work to....how long (before it frezes IDK). thanks boys for the help.

It really doesn't matter. When I'm in search mode, I'll drill into the ice a few inches, then put a bit of water out of my minnow bucket in the hole, and my finder will shoot right thru the ice, no problem. Beats drilling a bunch of holes thru thick ice for nothing to find a shoal/drop.

My ducer is about 12" down on a stick, no matter how thick the ice is, once I find where I want to be the above mentioned way.

S.