Can someone explain this in the NHL

Cudz

I totally understand pulling the goalie when you are down by 1 goal with a minute or a minute and a half left in the game. I can even (but just barely) wrap my head around pulling the goalie when you are down by 2 goals. I just watched the end of the leafs' game and they are down 4 - 1 and decide to pull the goaklie with 1min 30 left. Maybe it is just me and I am not being an optimist but come on, really? Am I missing something here?

And yes, Phoenix scored an empty netter to make it 5 to 1.

I just don't get it. Losing by 3 or losing by 4 I guess makes no difference.

Edited by Cudz

They scored 4 goals during a 5 minute power play against the Thrashers so giving yourself an extra man advantage to try and score 3 goals is not out of the question. Not probable but possible, so why not try? 4-1 or 5-1, what's the difference.

Really?????? I don't believe this is possible. All these situations of possibilities you people are coming up with occur when a team in on the powerplay or at equal strength. I would like to see a team score 3 goals without a goalie in their own net. The leafs were not on a powerplay at the end of the game so it 6 on 5.

I can't find any historical evidence that 3 goals have been scored by a team in the last minute and a half with their goalie pulled.

Edited by Cudz

Really?????? I don't believe this is possible. All these situations of possibilities you people are coming up with occur when a team in on the powerplay or at equal strength. I would like to see a team score 3 goals without a goalie in their own net. The leafs were not on a powerplay at the end of the game so it 6 on 5.

I can't find any historical evidence that 3 goals have been scored by a team in the last minute and a half with their goalie pulled.

So, what you're saying is that there's a greater possibility of scoring 3 goals in a minute and a half WITHOUT pulling your goalie? You may be right.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

there's no reason not to pull the goalie. coaches generally endorse the 'never quit' attitude, and typically to get players to buy into anything you have to lead by example.

there's a slight chance you can tie the game, and if you're that convinced you have no chance to win, it's still good for practice. skating drills don't really prepare you for the actual pressure of the moment when you got a man up and an empty net.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

So, what you're saying is that there's a greater possibility of scoring 3 goals in a minute and a half WITHOUT pulling your goalie? You may be right.

NOPE!

What I am saying is that there is a lower possibility of scoring three goals in a row without having the other team get even 1 shot (which would result in a goal) against your net. I can find many situtions in the past where a team has scored 3 goals in less thn 1 min 30 secs but have yet to find that same result with the goalie pulled.

NOPE!

What I am saying is that there is a lower possibility of scoring three goals in a row without having the other team get even 1 shot (which would result in a goal) against your net. I can find many situtions in the past where a team has scored 3 goals in less thn 1 min 30 secs but have yet to find that same result with the goalie pulled.

Ya, that's what I said Cudz. I'm actually agreeing with you now.

having an extra skater will give the team an advantage. howeve, as we see its a risky move should they get an empty netter. ive seen teams score 2 goals within a minute with the goalie pulled, so 3 could be done as well, though i opersonally dont ever remember seeing it done. but not many times will they pull the goalie down 3. only wilson knows why he did it. but bottom line, whether u lose by 1 goal or 10 goals.... u still lost. goal differential means nothing in the NHL, except bragging rights.

as with anything... if they did score the 3 and tie it up, not only would it be historical, but everyone would be praising wilson for pulling it off.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I have coached alot of rep hockey the last 10 years and you never accept defeat until the game is over. What is the difference losing 4-1 or 5-1,send the message to the players that you play to the end no matter what the score is other wise you are a quitter.

:clapping:

I have coached alot of rep hockey the last 10 years and you never accept defeat until the game is over. What is the difference losing 4-1 or 5-1,send the message to the players that you play to the end no matter what the score is other wise you are a quitter.

You have coached a lot of rep hockey and I have played a lot of rep hockey. Not pulling the goalie when you are down by 3 with just over a minute left does not mean that you are a quitter.

The difference between 5-1 and 4-1 is 1. But losing 4-1 sounds like you might have been in teh game, 5-1 not so much.

Plus it makes the goalies GAA increase when they get pulled.