tired of catching "dinks"

lovetofish

Anyone else getting tired of catching dinks? Don't know what else to do. I've been out 3 times out of Gilford road with my portable hut (which we drag by hand). All i catch is dinks. I heard perch travel in schools that are all similar in size. We move everytime we start catching the little ones or if were not catching any at all. i've fished everywhere from 10' to 32' of water. Is there certain areas on simcoe that have a larger abundance of jumbos? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

lovetofish

try deeper like mentioned and if you find the weeds there should be fish not far off...I personally like to jig a larger spoon or rap (larger than traditional size perch stuff) with a 4-6" dropper tied on light line(enables perch to easily suck the bait in), steelie hook and whatever bait you prefer...waxies and pieces of shrimp work well

I read an article in a pannie mag I have at home that discussed the relationship between large Perch and small ones. The writer felt that after observing Perch on his camera, he believed that there is a distinct relationship between smaller Perch and Jumbos.

He felt that it was the smaller fish and their eagerness to eat, that triggered larger fish to bit a bait they had been staring at for quite some time.

He felt that the jumbos got jealous of the small fish eating "their" food and that's what triggered the jumbos to attack a bait.

I can see this being true. Many a time I will have caught a number of dinks, only to have a jumbo already on the line, even before I had a chance to flip over the bail, the next drop down.

The writer of the atricle also indicated that he felt that Perch do not travel very far in their roaming for food...

So I guess there are arguements for the value of dinks!

HH

All the reports we have been getting on Simcoe down here have been LOTS of dinks and just a few worth keeping... :dunno:

That's not surprising Bob Billy... Cook's Bay is always the first part of the lake to freeze and has historically always been a dink fest. You should soon be hearing of more jumbo's as the ice conditions on the main lake start to allow us access.

HH

We fished out of Lefroy in 14'. we did catch lots of dinks, but also had a few ice Jumbos. Kept 70 for the weekend between 3 guys, all between 8" and 13".

Everyone will tell you something different about perch fishing. I never fish off Gilford in cooks bay. Move north. The ice is getting pretty good now. Get out of cooks bay, and don't go back all year... IMO..

Try Lefroy, or big cedar. IBP might be good this weekend..

And perch eyes work great on Simcoe..

too many fisherman on simcoe, the jumbos arent there in the big numbers like they used to be, if it wasnt for stocking there wouldnt be a fish left but the average size of whiteys and trout is pretty good anyway, good luck dude

too many fisherman on simcoe, the jumbos arent there in the big numbers like they used to be, if it wasnt for stocking there wouldnt be a fish left but the average size of whiteys and trout is pretty good anyway, good luck dude

They stock PERCH ? ? ? :dunno: