Simcoe Herring

Headhunter

Ya but what's the icefishin' like there Art? :P

Actually the icefishing is very good down here. I have found if you use 2 fingers instead of your thumb you will fit in the glass and can reach the ice easier. :good:

Art

~~~Back in the 50s as a kid we phished for them off Minetes Point look down the hole and watch giant schools swimming around, and we would be using barley for bait, dropping it down the holes, and using a treble hook with a pearl attached, you could catch a bushel a day, and that why we needed to ban phishen for them, and I still believed the ban should stay in place, for a few more years, then have a set limit on them

Herring is a new thing for me, so I have a question for you "old timers".... so to speak!

How do you prepare them, assuming you were keeping them for the table?

Are tehy good table fare... I sure do like pickeled Herring!

Just curious...

Like oldphart said,you could catch them by the bushel. I was one that did keep alot of them.

As for HH.

I would gut,scale and split them in half.Rub with pepper and salt and broil them so thier pretty much dried out. I ate alot of them,and if they do open them back up,like Andy and I were discussing today,theres got to be a limit put on them.

The simcoe population is huge right now.Not like the numbers back in the 70,s but is up there.I say keep them closed for another couple of years.

Herring is a new thing for me, so I have a question for you "old timers".... so to speak!

How do you prepare them, assuming you were keeping them for the table?

Are tehy good table fare... I sure do like pickeled Herring!

Just curious...

HH

The only fish I have caught to keep and then never ate. Got a few on Nip years ago fishing for walleye. Tried filleting one and found there small bones a real PITA ...and not much meat either. We gave up and threw the 2 or 3 we had in the garbage. Never had the desire to keep one since that episode.

I would gut,scale and split them in half.

They are perhaps the easiest fish in the world to scale. You can almost do it with your own fingernails.

We occasionally got into them in deep Haliburton lakes while fishing for Lake Trout. Once we caught one accidentally, it was time to place a small pearl on an eight inch piece of line onto our spoon via snap swivel to get a meal.