MNR and the run around I got today

grt1

A few weeks ago I recieved the renewal form for my next fishing and hunting licence and as usual I put it to the side to do later.

Next year I will be 65 so I won't need the fishing licence so I didn't need to buy a 3 year fishing licence and I went to service ontario to see how I would go about the renewal process, they told me "just buy the outdoors card and the 3 year hunting licence option for $78.37 and then buy the fishing sticker for the one year I'll need it.

So this morning I went on line and bought the card and 3 year hunting licence and printed off the elicence so I would be legal.

Now the fun begins, I stopped at the local MNR district office and asked if I could get my 2011 licence there, they told me to go to the service ontario desk one floor down. I get to the service ontario desk and the line up is large so I figure i'll go the licence issuer at a local tackle shop. At that store they told me they don't have their 2011 licences so its back to service ontario. After waiting 15 minutes, the girl there closes her booth and says she's off for lunch, before she goes I ask if I can get the fishing licence there, she says yes but cash only since they aren't set up yet to accept debit or credit card payments for the upcoming year. She referred me to another local licence issuer who has the 2011 licences.

I get to the local issuer and she says she has never seen an elicence and doesn't know how to deal with it. She calls the local MNR (where I was earlier) and she asks what should she do. they referred her to the girl that I talked to at MNR who it turns out has left for home, now she's really wondering what to do so I suggested she call the 800 number in the regulations that deals with the outdoors card. She does this and the person there tells her that in order for her to issue me a sticker for the 2011 fishing season, i must purchase another outdoors card and put the sticker on it. when the issuer tells her that I paid for the outdoors card this morning and have an elicence the reply was that I either buy the licence including the cost of a second outdoors card or wait until the card I bought on line arrives (15 to 20 days, according to Toronto) and then get the sticker to put on the plastic card.

Essentially, I am being told to pay twice for a card or wait up to 3 weeks for the ability to fish legally.

it really makes you wonder with the amazing things we have available to us these days someone could figure out a way to issue a sticker.

I know people will say, why didn't i do this earlier when I got the letter in the mail but as a good procrastinator that would be tooooooooo simple.

Edited by grt1

Horse hockey!!! This is typical mindless stupidity on the MNR and Provincial Government. I'd contact my local MPP and let him/her know about this. Esp. if they are part of the opposition. Complain complain complain!!! Our bureaucracy has become so big and bloated that it is coming to this. Paying good money for NO SERVICE! When will the gov't realize that the money collected by the licenses is to be used for the MNR, not Dalton's (or whoever's for that matter) pork barrel projects. I like E-health, too bad I never bid on something I never intended to do anything about other than collect a few cheques for absolutely nothing.