2008 Jeep Liberty

HTHM

The liberty is a great ride, They did have a recall on the front upper ball joints. Other than that great drive train and cant beat a manual shift transfer case, less junk to mess up with the 4x4. Although the jeep grand cherokee would be a better tow rig and more roomer. But be more in fuel, I would not tow with a crv or an escape. even my 98 cherokee has a hard time pulling my 21 bowrider. The escapes are good vehicles but the older ones are prone to wheel bearings and missfires.

Just remember what jeep stands for JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET. I have owned jeeps for the last ten years and own to grand cherokees and a 2 dr cherokee thats lifted. And the jeeps will go anywere you want them to.

rfmcrx, my 4.7 v8 GC gets roughly the same mpg as my old 4.0L I6 cherokee did. It wouldn't be much different than the 3.7 in the Liberty. A little better on the hwy, a little worse in-town. A fair bit better when towing (v8 does not have to work as hard is my theory). Although I wouldn't call Jeeps mileage, no matter the model, stellar :D

Just my opinion, I think the Liberty/Escape/CRV are too small to fit 4 adults comfortably and I think a glass boat in the class of a Ranger would be pushing the limits of the Escape - the Liberty is a little more capable and would do ok on occasion. Tow with a CRV? Forget about it.

Those small SUVs give up a lot of space compared to a mini-van.

I don't know about the CRV but the escape would pull his ranger no problem I tow my 18.6 foot starcraft and it has waterlogged foam. mines FWD there's a guy that fishes the TBBA that pulls a 21 triton with a 225(also a FWD) on it and says it is fine. I have seen him pull the boat out of a ramp were full size pick ups were spinning there tires and he pulled right out with out so much as slip. mines great lots of power and plenty of room for 4 adults other than the wheel bearing I have had no issues, I have only had it less than 2 years .Now after saying all that if I was looking now I would go for a grand cherokee,nitro,explorer,durango more of a full size SUV with a V8 I'm actually thinking about trading in my Magnum for a RAM 4x4.I am not recomending that you tow on a regular basis with a escape maxed out like the guy with the triton but they are rated for 3500lbs and will handle 2000lbs with no problem.I would go a bit bigger than the liberty,escape or CRV I love car shopping for other people LOL

They brake better than a Hyundai.

Either that or their owners don't constantly follow too close even though their husbands have told them their tail-gating will eventually lead to an accident which will be their fault.

The "funny" thing is that after the accident when I'd gotten her home and calmed down I asked her if she remembered all the times I told her she follows too close. Her response? "I don't follow too close."

What can you do but shake your head and write a cheque?

my 2010 is rated to tow 5000k it tows my rig with no real problems, navigates hills with no issues, it is a pig on gas big time

HTHM I did tow my 18 foot triton with it and while the wheel base is a bit short and yes at high speeds ( 130 or so ) it got squirrly ( 130 was passing another truck ) I had all the fluids changed on a shorter interval and had no issues

So much mentioned about the CRV.....how about a look at the Toyota Rav4 V6 sport. We have one...tones of room...tones of power and can pull 4K no prb..we do it. 4 adults no issue...and the cargo space is unbelievable.

I totally agree. Also from Toyota the Highlander might be worth a look.

I've had a Jeep for the last 12 years, I have a 95 Grand C in the garage with 370,000+ km and running. I just got a 2007 Compass, so far no problems whatsoever. It's how you take care of them . . . that goes the same for my 1989 Snow blower! Just like it came out of the box, well close . . . .

Well, I am now under the gun.....our Safari blew the intake gasket and is losing coolant into the crankcase. Stick a fork in her, she is done like Christmas dinner...

This is a common thing with GM and Deathcool (Dex-Cool)... http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

I had a 2002 Ford Escape and towed a 3K trailer 6,500 miles out west and back without problems but I did have trailer brakes and a additional tranny cooler on the Escape. Went over the continental divide twice at a top speed of 22 mph but made it.

The Ford Escape would be my choice in the small SUV's to choose from unless you can afford a Toyota RAV4 with a V-6.

Good Luck,

Bob

This is a common thing with GM and Deathcool (Dex-Cool)... http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

I had a 2002 Ford Escape and towed a 3K trailer 6,500 miles out west and back without problems but I did have trailer brakes and a additional tranny cooler on the Escape. Went over the continental divide twice at a top speed of 22 mph but made it.

The Ford Escape would be my choice in the small SUV's to choose from unless you can afford a Toyota RAV4 with a V-6.

Good Luck,

Bob

Well it did give us 250,000 miles, not kilometers. It was a US vehicle. Can't complain about that.