Do you make your own lures?

FISHINGNUT

Just wondering how many guys out there make there own lures ,jigs,plastics,is there really a big savings or is it more of a hobby thing to pass time while not fishing.I made my own ball jig mold at work ,the mold took me less than 1/2 hr on the CNC mill and I can get all the lead I want for free so I figure it works out to about 4 to 10 cents a jig for me to make my own depending on the type of hook I use. Can I spray paint them or will the smell effect the the jigs proformance?If any one is wondering where to get free or cheap lead I get it from my mechanic I melt down the used tire weights they use to balance rims ,

Fishingnut

I make a lot of my own jigheads also. I wasn`t happy with the hooks offered in most ready made ones. They are offering a lot of better quality hooks in them now but the price is high, I make what I have a mold for.

I don`t paint them, I use powder coating, soft plastics don`t affect it, I also put glitter in hobby epoxy and brush in on some over the powder coating.

I get my lead for free also, got my powder coating for free, hooks run about 9 bucks a hundred for most but I also use some that are more.

.. with another metal called antimony to make them harder than pure lead.

Antimony is also used for the weights used to balance wheels on our vehicles.

I feel that making ones' own lures if prolly more than a hobby, as you can buy most lures cheaper than you can make them.

Guest gbfisher
Antimony is also used for the weights used to balance wheels on our vehicles.

I feel that making ones' own lures if prolly more than a hobby, as you can buy most lures cheaper than you can make them.

I make my own lures. Save TONS of cash. Way cheaper than paying $45 to $90 per bait. These are just a few of them.

IMG_0356.jpg

I make jigs, walleye harnesses, crank baits like the ones above (they look nice gbfisher) and spinner-baits bucktails etc.. It's a good hobby really, I enjoy making and catching fish on my own stuff.

You can definitely save a fortune with musky stuff, and the walleye harnesses and jigs if you go through enough of them buy in bulk material as well, like for the jigs get a box of hooks at wholesale etc... and it'll be like 1c per jigg.

gbfisher did you cut out your own lips to ? I use lexan.

Edited by GbayGiant

Guest gbfisher

SS Lips were made by a friend with a metal shop. Drag em over rocks all day long :thumbsup_anim:

Zebra muscle killers... :clapping:

Thanks Lew....I hope it catches ya some fish this season. :worthy:

Of course we have to try again on Georgian bay... :wallbash::whistling:

Edited by gbfisher

i make my own soft plastics, from senko type to trick worms to goby's, cost is prohinitive when buying CNC aluminum molds, but the detail and end result is well worth it imo... and yes, they are carried at a local tackle store and will be available online in the near future...

Yep, I spent about 15 years making and tying bucktails, hair jigs, spinnerbaits, cranks (carved my own out of balsa), etc. etc. Stopped about 5 years ago. Have a LOT of jigs, flies, etc. And then I got into buying plastics and using Lucky crafts, Yozuris etc. Given the overall good quality and variety of commercial offerings, I buy now. But those hair jigs I tied? Still love them.

this winter i bought a bunch of old spoons & flashers off Ebay for pretty cheap - I then stripped 'em all bare & re-painted & prism taped them to my own patterns. A nice way to pass some time.

Just waiting for the sun to come out so I can try them on those salmon & trout!

Edited by fishdawg

I make my own spinners. Makes it great to try other colours, styles, and sizes. I have poured my own jig heads in the past, with a couple different moulds. It's a great way to relax and save a ton of $$$$$.

I am running out of supplies for my spinners if anyone knows of a good Canadian supplier for the do it yourselfer.

I make my own jigs as well. Dont think you can buy them cheaper than making them. You also get colours you like. I use powder coat as well. Found clear powder coat couple years ago with different colour metalflake in it. The mold I have apparently isnt available anymore from Cabelas. We will be making some likely this week. Will take a photoshoot of the process and post it.

Picture036.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Edited by Nipissing