Little Rant.. LOL

TJQ

To continue with the "I haven't needed it so I don't need it" theme: House insurance and seat belts. I've never seen a dime of my insurance money, and my seat belt has done nothing but wrinkle my shirts.

I'l continue to ponder this list and see what else I haven't needed yet. Bare with me, I'm a moronic wussie, or I'm I a wussie moron? I am too much of a moron to remember which it is.

You are way too hard on yourself KF. I'm a Dufus, but i still use snow tires on all 4 wheels

I do just fine with all season tires, but in truth....never tried Winter tires.

Never felt the need to :dunno:

I keep my distance, expect some sliding, and respect the weather.

Never been stuck, never slid off the road, never had an issue.

But then Again...I live in Kitchener, 40 minutes south west of the center of the Universe :whistling:

Snow here is easy, and rarely an issue.

I do just fine with all season tires, but in truth....never tried Winter tires.

Never felt the need to :dunno:

I keep my distance, expect some sliding, and respect the weather.

Never been stuck, never slid off the road, never had an issue.

But then Again...I live in Kitchener, 40 minutes south west of the center of the Universe :whistling:

Snow here is easy, and rarely an issue.

There's a massive difference but you don't know til you try.

Ironically I think most mainstream winter tires are actually ice tires (vs. snow)

Here is an article I wrote last winter on tires.

WINTER TIRES

As a mechanic and a shop owner I get to try out various types of vehicles during test drives. So we get to try out different types of tires too. We learn what works well and what doesn't.

Don't kid yourself, all season tires don't come close to a quality winter tire on ice and snow. And when you add studs to a winter tire it makes them incredibly good. I hope they allow studded tires where you drive.

All season tires work well when they can contact the road surface directly, but when isolated from the road by ice and snow they just don't work. The compound of the tire is generally harder to resist summer heat that wears tires out and with the colder temperatures they just get stiffer.

The winter tire compound is a little softer which allows a better contact patch with whatever is under it and the larger tread gaps pinch the snow to gain traction.

Another big misconception with tires is putting them on the drive wheels only.

OK, why not you ask? Well lets start with one of the most common vehicles on the road today, a family sedan, front wheel drive.

On these cars your engine and transmission is front mounted, so a good part of the weight is front biased. So that puts lots of weight on your front wheels. Weight =traction, right? So you put your winter tires on the front and your already used all seasons on the back.

Imagine now cruising down the freeway in 4 inches of fresh snow, "man these winter tires are awesome !" But you need to brake in a hurry for a deer coming out. Well those fresh winters do their job OK but the lightweight back end of your car hasn't the traction to handle the maneuver, the back end is sliding around sideways...hang on to it!!!

Well you get the picture now. You need all 4.

DONT SPIN YOUR TIRES

How many times do you see it each slippery day? You know, the drivers wheels howling for mercy as they attempt to accelerate.

Many vehicles today are equipped with traction control, there is a good reason for this accessory to your vehicle. If you can accelerate without spinning you will get moving faster than someone who is, and under more control too. A spinning tire will often create a hot spot under itself, melt the ice or snow and make it even more slippery. You even run the risk of getting yourself stuck in the rut you create.

A spinning tire also will go sideways easier, as it loses traction it also loses some direction.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

To continue with the "I haven't needed it so I don't need it" theme: House insurance and seat belts. I've never seen a dime of my insurance money, and my seat belt has done nothing but wrinkle my shirts.

I'l continue to ponder this list and see what else I haven't needed yet. Bare with me, I'm a moronic wussie, or I'm I a wussie moron? I am too much of a moron to remember which it is.

Like anders said, my local highway is bad all winter.

Caution and common sense go a long way.

Next, you can tell me about that HUGE storm you got once up at the cottage in the kawarthas! It was so bad, they had no internet for days!

I love hearing about how bad it gets in the south.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Glad you see it my way.

it's funny how residents of the GTA and southern Ontario even think foul weather revolves around them!

next you can pontificate to us about the pains of "southern" alienation you endure on a daily basis!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Dr Sal -- what is it you would have done if you're stuck on a 400 series hwy with 200 cars parked in front of you, and nowhere to go?? Do you pull off-road and 4x4 home?

And what advice do you give to those who aren't as tough and smart as you....especially the elderly couples and families with little kids stuck on the hwy all night. Pretty cold if you remember.

Tell me -- what does a super tough, brilliantly smart, winter-hardened dude from the Soo do? Bestow some wisdom upon us...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Tell me -- what does a super tough, brilliantly smart, winter-hardened dude from the Soo do? Bestow some wisdom upon us...

Honestly, if an epic southern Ontario microclimate "our lake effect is worse than anybody elses" storm brews up, I'd probably stay home!

Sorry if I have no basis of comparison. We don't call a national emergency when it snows.

maybe you guys can start carrying handwarmers in your manpurses.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I used to believe that all season radials were all I needed year round for over 25 years. Then I installed snow tires on the rear of my van five years ago, I was so impressed by the performance I added two more on the front the following winter. Never again will I let over confidence in my driving abilities lead me to believe all seasons are adequate. whistling.gif

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I used to believe that all season radials were all I needed year round for over 25 years. Then I installed snow tires on the rear of my van five years ago, I was so impressed by the performance I added two more on the front the following winter. Never again will I let over confidence in my driving abilities lead me to believe all seasons are adequate. whistling.gif

sometimes, young families use all seasons because they can't afford special tires for half the year. and i stand by the fact that they are adequate if you exercise caution.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Honestly, if an epic southern Ontario microclimate "our lake effect is worse than anybody elses" storm brews up, I'd probably stay home!

Sorry if I have no basis of comparison. We don't call a national emergency when it snows.

So like i said, what would you have done in that situation? Pretty simple question.

Glad you see it my way.

it's funny how residents of the GTA and southern Ontario even think foul weather revolves around them!

next you can pontificate to us about the pains of "southern" alienation you endure on a daily basis!

I guess you can't keep us wussies straight.

What we did have was someone who doesn't even use winter tires telling people how to handle driving conditions 6-10 hours away from were he is. Keep up the good work, we all appreciate your input. :good:

zero visibility is zero visibility no matter where you reside. I got caught in a high speed wall of snow in Alert Nunavut a few years ago and I know that there is nothing you can do but wait it out. I feel bad for the people caught on that highway near Sarnia.

The only thing I'd blame "southern ontario people" for is cutting down all the trees on the side of the highway....It's called a wind fetch people...trees are good for many things other than building stuff. dry.gif

Fact: The best all seasons don't even come close to the cheapest winter tires.

Factor in the kilometres saved on the all seasons when they are not one the vehicle and the "cost" of winter tires drops considerably.

ps

My winter tires aren't for me... there because of all the other drivers that are out there. :thumbsup_anim:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I guess you can't keep us wussies straight.

What we did have was someone who doesn't even use winter tires telling people how to handle driving conditions 6-10 hours away from were he is. Keep up the good work, we all appreciate your input. :good:

Given a choice between snow tires vs. common sense I'd take the latter. Then again, I'm sure the 128 inches of annual snowfall here only adds to my inexperience and cockiness. I bet you guys are better at handling cold temperatures than NWO as well! In fact, I bet the southern Ontario microclimates bring far colder weather than us northerners have ever experienced.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Is it just me or does anyone else detect "Southern Ontario Envy"

Doc- Since last Sunday we on the Lake Huron Shore have been getting pounded with only a 7 hour break (today) and its starting up again right now ...we are now poised for another 25 cms with hard winds from the north east...(happy days !!!Gbay snow flakes as opposed to Lake Huron Flakes)

just saying ...most of us can relate to your weather up there which is quite mild compared to other parts of this country (any of the Maritimes Provinces or the skin cracking freezing temps of Alberta...)

I dont think its so much the weather thats the problem...its the people in it ..

i have handwarmers ...but could use your expertise on a good man purse...do they come in camo?

Edited by Twocoda

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I dont think its so much the weather thats the problem...its the people in it ..

exactly my point.

as far as manpurses go, i'd recommend pink. that way they'll match kickingfrogs boots.

p.s. The only thing I'm envious on the wrong side of the French is the easy access to global cuisine!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

zero visibility is zero visibility no matter where you reside. I got caught in a high speed wall of snow in Alert Nunavut a few years ago and I know that there is nothing you can do but wait it out. I feel bad for the people caught on that highway near Sarnia.

dry.gif

and im sure they had better ways of spending $400.00 at christmas time that its going to cost each vehicle owner to get their vehicle back...now thats bull !

Given a choice between snow tires vs. common sense I'd take the latter. Then again, I'm sure the 128 inches of annual snowfall here only adds to my inexperience and cockiness. I bet you guys are better at handling cold temperatures than NWO as well! In fact, I bet the southern Ontario microclimates bring far colder weather than us northerners have ever experienced.

I have both.

Take a look at annual snow falls for parts of the "snowbelt".

And again since you seem to not have the ability to comprehend what has been written. Driving in conditions that are around freezing is much more treacherous then constantly cold temps.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

And? Cat got your tongue?

please note the first time you asked, and when i answered that i'd probably stay home. something the 300 people on the highway probably wish they did when they received snow warnings for the 12 hours previous.