Ice fishing suggestions

splashhopper

I think

it depends on your wallet

the cheap ones will float you and that is what they are designed to do

but I find the cheaper ones are stiffer, heavier, sweat more...the more you spend the more comfortable you will be IMHO

I like 2 piece over one piece....

I think

it depends on your wallet

the cheap ones will float you and that is what they are designed to do

but I find the cheaper ones are stiffer, heavier, sweat more...the more you spend the more comfortable you will be IMHO

I like 2 piece over one piece....

Well, I'd be willing to spend anywhere up to $400 for a good one & I would definitely go for the 2 pc as well. True, you get what you pay for :thumbsup_anim:

I know that when I travel a long distance, I'm more likely to take risks (ie. Fishing on thin ice) "I've come this far..." I know that I'm like that, so my solution is to start my ice season at spots close to home. Its a lot easier to accept defeat when you're only 15 minutes up the road. I'll wait a couple more weeks to fish the really good spots.

Gear tips! These will help increase the life of your auger blades.

1. Don't lend your auger to strangers.

2. Never bang the blades on the ice or use a hard object to chip ice off.

3. New blades will last a long time if you drill slow and steady.

4.Take note if your auger has offset grips. If so, use it properly so that the blades and flutes turn true... I've watched guys fight to get through 6" of ice cuz they don't realize they're spinning it wrong. It wont "bite" and it wants to skip and wander.

5. Use a rag to dry off the blades and then put the cover back on it when not in use.

6. If you're fishing with a partner, work the auger together. You'd be surprised how fast and effortlessly 2 guys can crank an 8" hole thru a foot of ice.

Just don't wear the floater suit while in the vehicle, and drive with your windows down.

I've heard this before. I understand why you'd roll down your windows. But what's the reason for not wearing a float suit? It doesn't do me much good if I'm not wearing it.

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned this yet...

GET A WHITE BUCKET!!!! Seriously, they will hold your catch, you can mount PVC pipe on the outside of the bucket and they will act as rod holders... don't forget your ice scoop...

A great big thermos for your favorite hot beverage (don't cheap out on a thermos, buy 100% stainless steel and it will last forever. Here's a tip re the thermos...

Fill the thermos with boiling water and let it stand in the thermos for 10 minutes, before you put your hot beverage of choice in... your bevey will stay hot for a lot longer.

If your fishing in a place where you can remove your float suit and be warm, be sure to turn your float suit inside out to dry out all of the condensation, before you go back outside.

Same goes for your boot insoles.

HH

I

A great big thermos for your favorite hot beverage (don't cheap out on a thermos, buy 100% stainless steel and it will last forever. Here's a tip re the thermos...

Fill the thermos with boiling water and let it stand in the thermos for 10 minutes, before you put your hot beverage of choice in... your bevey will stay hot for a lot longer.

Agree with HH 100%. I take soup/stew alot so I use a wide mouth thermos. I get tap water as hot as I can and fill my thermos. While this is going on I boil a kettle of water. When its boiled, I dump the hot tap water out of my thermos and fill the thermos with my boiled water and screw the lid on. Then I heat up my soup or stew. When it is bubbling good I dump the boiled water out of my thermos and fill the thermos with my soup/stew. Sounds like alot of work but this is all done while I'm waiting for the coffee maker to make my mug of coffee for the car ride to the lake. I always pack extra fleece cloths and I wrap my thermos up in one of my sweaters to help hold in the heat longer. I have been out when it is -20 celcius in my unheated portable and the soup I poured in my thermos at home at 5AM is still too hot to drink/eat an noon. A slice of homemade bread and some soup sure hits the spot on a cold day on the ice.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Ha! Had never heard of that. Awesome.

thanks... i missed that question earlier.

as stated, it's an awesome firestarter. it's not an aggressive flame, and it lights very easily with a spark... going through the ice 2 hours on snowshoe from the car requires a quick fire!

re-posted to try for an answer .. please .

What about "ice fishing" line ?

Is there really a difference with them vs a light mono ?

Many will tell you it's just marketing. Personally, I am not convinced it's any better. Often you get line in more visible colors like blue and yellow though.

However, I try new lines every season. I have six different rods with six different lines at the moment, two of which are sold as ice lines (Fireline Micro Ice and Power Pro Ice). If I didn't want to play around I would probably just use Trilene XT or XL, which a lot of people use for ice fishing.