Ice fishing suggestions

splashhopper

Ok, so this is just my second season that i am amped to go ice fishing.

There were lots of questions that I had last season, but damned if I can remember them this season. :blush:

So, I will start this thread with safety suggestions for some of the new people here this year that may be wondering about trying ice fishing too.

Please add safety tips and suggestions for the newbies for equipment and techniques as you see fit.

Here is the first suggestion

IceFishingSafetyChart012410.png

PLEASE DO NOT HI JACK this thread and derail it in to side conversations. This topic might be common sense for some and not so common sense for others.

Thanks

Splashopper

A floater suit and a set of ice picks incase you go in.. Never cheap out on a floater suit, that's the only thing between you and death :)

And if you go in the water, don't panic and freak out. Stay calm, get your pics and pull yourself out. Gear can be replaced, you not so much.

Safety. Good topic.

1. I would suggest a good floater suit. And ice pics.

2. Early ice, late ice or areas you are not familiar with...don't go alone.

3. Early and late ice...take a spud...and use it.

4. Flashlight/lantern if you are coming on or off in the dark.

5. Dress to stay warm

6. Take a compass/GPS. White outs or thick fog is scary...trust me on this.

7. Sunglasses and sun screen. Worst sunburn I ever got in my life was on a sunny day on the ice in February.

I hope everyone has a safe season on the hardwater.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if you can afford a floater suit, they are ideal... i however cannot!

what i do have is ice picks as discussed, and each member of my party typically has a 25 ft min. length of rope. i also bring waterproof matches and a small ziploc with dryer lint/vaseline for waterproof firestarting gear...

once on the ice, watch for creek mouths, air holes/springs, and any other obvious disturbances on the ice surface.

can you expand on that?

Dryer inlet guards whatever you are trying to light on fire from the wind, but an be opened a bit to provide oxygen to the fire if needed.

Vaseline keeps your skin/lips/whatever from getting wind burn/chapped, etc.

For people that don't have floater suits either because of cost or because they don't ice fish regularily enough to justify. Would wearing a life jacket over your winter coat be a good comprise?

Sorry if its a silly question, I went ice fishing about 4-5 times last year but don't have a floater suit or jacket.

For people that don't have floater suits either because of cost or because they don't ice fish regularily enough to justify. Would wearing a life jacket over your winter coat be a good comprise?

Sorry if its a silly question, I went ice fishing about 4-5 times last year but don't have a floater suit or jacket.

I would wear it under my winter coat

but sure, it will stop you from going under

but will not help keep you warm while trying to get back out

anything is better then nothing

I ice fish ALL the time. In fact I enjoy it as much as summer fishing. At the time my current floater suit is PAST worn out...it probably would not even float someone half my weight...so it is useless for that. I am currently looking at replacing it with ICE ARMOUR which is bib style pants and a jacket that has no floatation properties at all.

With regards to a floater suit... I always suggest one. However if you take all the proper precautions I really don't think they are necessary. I am a walker though. I would strongly recommend a floater suit if you are taking a sled or ATV or your truck/car on the ice. When you are traveling at faster speeds then you can walk...the chances of getting in trouble before you know it...go way up.

As far as life jackets go. Outside of looking silly...they might be a good idea if it eases your mind...but I am unsure on there effectiveness in winter conditions...cause I don't know if they would help or hinder you actually being able to get out of the water if you did indeed go through the ice.

Bottom line for me is use common sense. In over 25 years on the ice I have not even got a wet foot...and I plan on keeping it that way.

Bottom line for me is use common sense. In over 25 years on the ice I have not even got a wet foot...and I plan on keeping it that way.

i've only got one ice season under my belt and ive gotten a few wet feet, but thats just because i didn't notice my friends frozen over hole, DOH! :oops::whistling: lol