LED v LCD v Plasma

siwash

Edge lit LED's are garbage, has anyone actually seen one in person? I had a Sharp Aquos LED Quattron for maybe a total of 8hrs before I returned it for a 50in Panasonic VT Series.. Not even close in comparison..

As far as picture quality is concerned, plasma still takes the cake over both LCD and LED. More vivid colours, better black levels etc..

Best bang for the buck TV's right now are definitely Plasmas...

LED is still an LCD display, it's just a different way of lighting the screen.

Traditional 'LCD' use flourescent tubes for back lighting, which require more power & greater tv thickness.

'LED' use the light emitting diodes which consume FAR less energy than flourescent tubes, and allow for the much thinner cross section.

The LED also create darker "darks" & brighter "whites" which is huge. You'll probably notice that the LED units are providing MUCH greater contrast ratios compared to LCD as a result.

150,000 : 1 on an LCD is pretty good.

LED are now getting in to the 3,000,000 : 1 range. That's a whole lot of better colour & light differentiation!

LED is still an LCD display, it's just a different way of lighting the screen.

Traditional 'LCD' use flourescent tubes for back lighting, which require more power & greater tv thickness.

'LED' use the light emitting diodes which consume FAR less energy than flourescent tubes, and allow for the much thinner cross section.

The LED also create darker "darks" & brighter "whites" which is huge. You'll probably notice that the LED units are providing MUCH greater contrast ratios compared to LCD as a result.

150,000 : 1 on an LCD is pretty good.

LED are now getting in to the 3,000,000 : 1 range. That's a whole lot of better colour & light differentiation!

Interesting.. I suppose if one spends a few hundred more $$ for the LED, there would be a cost-savings as a result of less energy consumption. How long it would take to make up the savings is anyone's guess.. I suppose it depends how much television one watches. I watch about 20-30 hours per week.

Thanks again folks.

Oh, I forgot to ask what brand!!!!! LOL! That will start up another thread I suppose! I hear SAMSUNGS are great quality and value. A friends said steer clear of LG.

A 600 series Samsung LCD right now in my opinion is the best "all around" set...I sell them all...and that's my pick. $700 for a 40" $900 for a 46" and about $1300 for a 55". My opinion...but I do own a store that sells all the brands and that's my pick. I do agree though that a Panasonic Plasma wins on picture quality...but all around I say Samsung 6series LCD. Good luck with your choice but I think that for the most part you won't be dissapointed with anything you buy...it will likely be an upgrade and you won't have 6 other competitor sets in your living room to compare it too.

I too think LED is overrated for the money.

Cheers.

I have to say that most rooms an LCD will do best. for a DARK room then go plasma. For brands, it's up to u but Samsung is the Number ONE MFG of high end LCD Glass. I worked for them for a few years and my house looks like a Samsung Ad...

Edited by GBW

LOL Bob.. you may wanna look into who makes Sony's screens FOR them...

I'm just going by how long my 53" rear projection TV has lasted without any service to it....must be 12-14 years now...

OK, so WHO make screens for Sony now...China would be my guess....

You're crazy if you rank Toshiba that high. A junk headache set in my store anyways...speakers suck and the picture stinks!

i guess its personal, but ive had a 56 in Toshiba lcd rear projection for 3 years and never a problem.Good clean bright image.I dont know about the buil in speakers.i go through a 1000 watt 5.1 home theater.

Ummm... that Samsung company everyone is disin.. Oh and some models the LG company.. others possibly Sharp. Sony makes none themselves...

Hey Wayne, they sell the LCD/LED Glass they would not use (being poor quality) to the others... ;)

Like stuff like HP/Dell/BenQ/Sony? HAHAHAHA

Samsung makes more money off any Apple product then Apple does. Look at the MacBookAir and the Samsung one like it... notice the same things... :whistling:

you dont hace HDunsure.gif Jeez BB, no wonder the words are fuzzy.....dunno.gif Ya gotta join us in the 21st century man. Sheesh.santa.gif

The 3 smaller TV sets are HD but only get HD reception when working off the roof antenna....HD IMHO is over blown.... :whistling:

When my son Billy comes into town he keeps telling me I need a new big TV with HD reception but I don't see it anytime in the near future the way my house is wired with 2 TiVo units hooked up to 6 TV's and can be run independently or share receivers.

Guest Johnny Bass

Plasma is the best picture(for colors) but they used to burn out if left on for too long(especially with video games). I think they fixed that problem on the newer models. The LCD is a decent TV with a longer lifespan then the plasma and cheaper on electricity. LED is even better in every way but costs much more. Best bang for your buck? Pick up an LCD on boxing day. They are really cheap now. Make sure its 1080 and make sure its 120 Hz(anything higher is a waste of money I'm told since the TV technology is ahead of the stuff broadcasted. By the time 240 Hz becomes relevant, you can pick up a cheap LED in the future.

HD cable makes a really big difference.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Can't point you in a direction but I will not buy a LG again. The one I have now lasted 18 months. 6 months before I bought it LG changed their warranty from 2 years to 1. My mistake, fool me once.

BTW After 20 minutes the screen/picture are fine. Thanks goodness for pvr.