Leafs.....

Stoty

I thought that was Mats Sundin?

Or Wendel Clarke?

Or Darryl Sittler?

Or Borje Salming?

How far do you want to go back?

Not sure when the last time you watched a hockey game was or sports in general but those players are all retired.Hence the statement "we need a franchise player".

Guest Johnny Bass

Really...wow....

You are comparing Kessel to a rookie that hasnt even played 30 games yet, and gets maybe 10min/game and plays on some nights with Scott Thornton....Really?

I garantee you, if Toronto had the second pick they would have picked Seguin...garanteed, if of course Edmonton didn't take him, and we all know they didn't. You have to give the rookies time to adjust, grow and mature, which is something that looks like Toronto will not be seeing for sometime know, because, like most pro teams they build through the draft...just like Detroit! Toronto is going to be euchered for some time,as they dont have the picks to build a team....muddler said it best!

Oh...and its looking like we are getting a top 3 pick again if this keeps up...GO B's!

Thats right. I always make the sure bets. I dont bet on the long shots. Some times they come through but its rare. There were alot of players that were supposed to be the next Gretxky and end up fizzling out.

But I do suspect that Burke had Boston's best interest on this trade.

I think he is trying to suggest that a franchise player will not make much of a difference giving the results of the last 30 years plus.

That is right. They are all retired.

Clarke, Sundin and Sitler were very great players to say the least.

We had Sitler and McDonald.

We had Sundin and Mogilney.

We had Clarke, Gilmour and Andrechuk.

And we have Kessel and nobody.

And you think Seguin and nobody would have faired better?

Bottom line? Kessel needs some team mates.

I doubt Seguin will ever reach Kessel's talent but only time will tell.

I remember people telling me that Potvin was the best goalie in the world and I said he would flop and guess what happened....

How many did Seguin score? Did he even play? rofl2.gif

13;17 TOI.

Boston won 8-1 yesterday. Seguin is part of a team with great depth....exactly as you are saying J.B., is what Toronto is missing. Seguin will be a top notch player. Considering he is playing on a checking line as a rookie, his stats are pretty good. Toronto has depth in the minors, time will tell people, time will tell....Burke likes to give players an opportunity to mature before bringing them to the big leagues...just look at Getzlaf...one of the best players in the league spent almost 5 years in the minors.

I think he is trying to suggest that a franchise player will not make much of a difference giving the results of the last 30 years plus.

The kids don't get it, Grimace. They haven't been disappointed by this team for as many decades. Nor do they appreciate how many "franchise players" have come and gone since 1967 .... all without results.

Chance - yes, those guys are all grandfathers now. That's my point. Heck, I still remember Dave Keon being the guy who would bring the cup back to Toronto. He was a great player too.

Sittler played on teams WITH Lanny McDonald, Borje Salming, Ian Turnbull and Mike Palmateer. And yet? No cup. If that team couldn't win (playing against weak, post-expansion teams in the 70s) then this bunch of amateurs hasn't got a snowball's chance.

The kids don't get it, Grimace. They haven't been disappointed by this team for as many decades. Nor do they appreciate how many "franchise players" have come and gone since 1967 .... all without results.

Chance - yes, those guys are all grandfathers now. That's my point. Heck, I still remember Dave Keon being the guy who would bring the cup back to Toronto. He was a great player too.

Sittler played on teams WITH Lanny McDonald, Borje Salming, Ian Turnbull and Mike Palmateer. And yet? No cup. If that team couldn't win (playing against weak, post-expansion teams in the 70s) then this bunch of amateurs hasn't got a snowball's chance.

Appreciate being called a kid,haven't been called that for many years.

Anyhow as leaf fans we know the machine is broken and has been for many decades.Bring in big name players,spend huge dollars on them,keep the fans happy and all to no end.We get it ,we honestly do.But when you grow up supporting a team you just stick with it.I dont buy hats or shirts or anything else you mentioned earlier.In fact I dont buy any NHL paraphernalia,wearing a shirt with another guys name on the back seems silly to me.

Every year we hope for a different result but dont expect it.This year seems a bit different than those of past.They are the youngest team in ther league and I dont remember that happening for a long time. They do have some very promising young players in the system so they are heading in the right direction.They ARE rebuilding regardless of how many times the mindless critics want to throw the Kessel trade around.

Seguin and Hall are very good players and will be for years to com.Sure one of them could of been playing for the Leafs but they are not,get over it citics it is said done and sealed and delivered.Anyone claiming Kessel is not a good player is either a fool or just doesnt watch the game at all.I also find it quite humorous how all these critics come out of the woodwork yet fail to realize their team of choice did not win the cup last year either.Which is worse a team that struggles every year to make it over 500 and just doesnt or a team that is built to win the cup but doesn't?every year I watch the playoffs in hopes a Canadian team wins the cup.I really dont care who and of course the Leafs would be nice but I would like it back in Canada regardless. p-5aWVS_roA1dVM.gif?labels=Reference

Guest Johnny Bass

You dont get it. Every team needs at least one franchise player. And it isn't Seguin.

So your saying they should have never got Keon?lol

We have a pretty good team, but we need more offense, and so far, Kessel has provided more offense then Seguin.

Best team was Burns(defensive coach) Gilmour, Andrechuk and Clark and a solid stay at home defense core.

i wouldn't expect a franchise player for a while.. in my opinion, atleast with Seguin the leafs had the CHANCE of following up with another solid draft pick - kind of like edmonton with eberle (drafted 22nd overall, Luke Schenn went 5th) and hall. Now they're stuck fishing for a "franchise" player to compliment Kessel, instead of being able to focus more on the team development. I personally believe in building from scratch, not little touch up patch work.

Anyway, the toronto rock's season starts in jan, now there is a team everyone should get behind!!

GO ROCK GO!!!

Edited by JBZ

Guest Johnny Bass

What I cant believe is how much we sucked Yesterday. Here we are playing a tired team that just played back to back, with the worst penalty kill in the league and we couldn't score a goal.

Is it me or do all players and goalies get out of their slumps when they play the leafs? I am hearing the same thing. Ohhh he wasn't supposed to play tonight, and he ends up scoring the game winner. :wallbash: We need a longgggg winning streak!

I'm expecting a few player to pick up their game. Whether it will be this year or next, I dont know.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Where did I say that?

Did you even read my post?

I give up. This is like talking to a plant.

Yes, I read it. Sorry we cant all have your stuperior intelligence! :blahblah1: You were basically saying that franchise players have not brought us a cup(to cover up your first dumb post). Right here. I asked, we need a Franchise player. A face for the team.

You said:I thought that was Mats Sundin?

Or Wendel Clarke?

Or Darryl Sittler?

Or Borje Salming?

How far do you want to go back?

Then we mentioned they were retired and then Grimace tried to save you by suggesting that Franchise players have done nothing for the leafs.

Does that mean we shouldn't get any franchise players? Franchise players sell shirts and tickets. Should we have a team of nobodies? Like we've had since Sundin left?

Who here owns a leaf shirt of anyone on this current team? I seen Phaneuf shirts at the store. Thats about it.

I can understand if this was years after the fact. We haven't even given the trade a chance and already the critics are :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:.

Give it a couple of years and we will see!

I disagree. I really liked Sundin. Good work ethic, never complained, a good role model to the younger players. I think he was a franchise player. I agree with Johnny that we need a franchise player. However you do not get them by trading draft picks away for 1 dimensional 60 point guys.

I would much rather watch Edmonton lose every night and know help is on the way than watch my beloved Leafs get crushed every night and realize there is nothing in the farm, and we have no first round draft pick this year.

I am sorry but I am not drinking the Brian Burke Kool Aid. I thought they might finish this year with a 40-32-8 record for 88 points and tenth in the conference but they would have to play some awefully good hockey for the rest of the year for that even. There is no evidence to suggest that this is attainable.

I disagree. I really liked Sundin. Good work ethic, never complained, a good role model to the younger players. I think he was a franchise player. I agree with Johnny that we need a franchise player. However you do not get them by trading draft picks away for 1 dimensional 60 point guys.

I would much rather watch Edmonton lose every night and know help is on the way than watch my beloved Leafs get crushed every night and realize there is nothing in the farm, and we have no first round draft pick this year.

I am sorry but I am not drinking the Brian Burke Kool Aid. I thought they might finish this year with a 40-32-8 record for 88 points and tenth in the conference but they would have to play some awefully good hockey for the rest of the year for that even. There is no evidence to suggest that this is attainable.

There are good players in the system.Jussi Rynnas and McKegg are a couple.

I'm glad that I can still remember (but barely) the last time that the Leafs won the Stanley Cup. I was in Grade 7 and in a month and a half I am retiring. Hmmm,..., nuff said.

The Leafs did a lot better with Pat Quinn as coach and GM - wasn't that the last time that they were in the playoffs??

Losing to the Oilers 5-0 - boy that is a real low point!

Guest Johnny Bass

Agreed. Sundin was one of the most talent players in the NHL at the time. Anyone that has seen him play on Sweden's national team will tell you. They REALLY went down when Mogilney left, and Sundin had to carry the entire burden, just like Kessel.....

As far as Edmonton? Their first round draft pick(Taylor Hall) hasn't done much for the team's standings. They are still at the bottom of the barrel. But you can blame that on defense and goal-tending. For Toronto?We cant put the puck in the net. Edmonton needs some goaltending and we need a goal scorer/play maker. Only time will tell, which team will be more successful in the near future.

The Oilers have won 3 in a row and will be better because they are rebuilding the right way, through the draft.

Last year the NorthEast division put 4 teams into the playoffs, more than any other division in the NHL. Only Toronto missed out.

This year it looks like both Boston and Montreal are going to make it. What has happened to Buffalo and Ottawa?